C2077 Ragequit Cyberpunk after 3 seconds

Cyberpunk 2077

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I spent about half an hour on the look of my character, while thinking about what kind of personality they would have. Then 3 seconds into the first scene I had to quit... I never considered that I was going to have deal with a voice actor!! He sounds like an orc! Now I'm faced with totally re-imagining my character to match the voice, or having my immersion broken every time V speaks. Is there any way to silence my VO and replace it with text?

I spent about half an hour on the look of my character, while thinking about what kind of personality they would have. Then 3 seconds into the first scene I had to quit... I never considered that I was going to have deal with a voice actor!! He sounds like an orc! Now I'm faced with totally re-imagining my character to match the voice, or having my immersion broken every time V speaks. Is there any way to silence my VO and replace it with text?
Make yourself a female, for another chance.
I had no issue with the male voice actor. He's decent overall. Sometimes he does sound a bit tryhard, but in general he's good enough. But my next playthrough will be with a female V, for sure.

My point is that a voice projects a lot of that character's personality, so by having only one male or female voice, all the visual customization is largely pointless, particularly in a 1st person game, and the idea of creating an original character is severely limited. I have no problem with a voiced main in a game where you are playing someone specific, Geralt or Sherlock Holmes for example, but not if you are intended to be creating someone of your own.

Oh dear, went to download the mod and apparently it no longer functions! :(

My point is that a voice projects a lot of that character's personality, so by having only one male or female voice, all the visual customization is largely pointless, particularly in a 1st person game, and the idea of creating an original character is severely limited.
Were they supposed to record all that dialogue multiple times with multiple actors to satisfy the easily bothered people out there? 😉

Were they supposed to record all that dialogue multiple times with multiple actors to satisfy the easily bothered people out there? 😉
No. Simple provide an option to turn it off. Ideally there would be a pitch shifter slider to alter tone, or AI audio filters... I'm downloading a Nathan Fillion mod now.

Oh dear, went to download the mod and apparently it no longer functions! :(
Sorry for that. I missed the fact the last update was long ago, so it wouldn't have survived the DLC. :(

You can make your own, apparently. This guy has made a mod with a voice supposedly similar to Harrison Ford's, and after being asked several times, he made a video tutorial on the method he used (involving generative AI). I'm not sure what to think about the result... it does sound slightly artificial.

It's a bit complicated, though. ;)

Glad you found s mod to help with your problem. I personally wasn't bothered by either voice actor, but yeah CDPR should have allowed more options like other RPGs.

Still the game was very expensive and money was better spent elsewhere.

VO never really bothers me. I have met so many people in real life whose voice in no way matches who they look like or even act like. So, while I like having choices, I just adapt. I play multiple chars in FO4 and C2077 and was never an issue. VO would have to be really bad for it to get to me. Or maybe been lucky with all the games I play I didn't mind any of them.

I actually see it the opposite. I would be more likely to picture a pre-set protagonist like Shep or Geralt having a certain voice in my mind and if that didn't match it would be more jarring then if a self-made one.

Sure its nice to match certain voice tones and attitude to certain characters but usually when you have only one option the VO tends to be rather neutral.

But I know how things are. We all have our areas where we can be forgiving of things while other stuff we are much less flexible on. Just glad VO isn't one of them for me as so many games these days have very limited choices for VO, if any.

Last edited:
Yea, that is the main problem with voiceovers these days in games...what if we don't like the voice, or worse, hate the voice? Are we just outta luck? Having said that, personally I think the male voice for V is "ok", not what I would choose if I had good options, but its not something I hate.

I do think mods and voiceover AI can be a good solution for this, but it would be nice if maybe they (the developers) included one other voice for each main character to choose from! Even if its done through AI voice over, but just give us a choice. And this is also a thing in BG 3 by the way, they went with a female narrator and she is once again "ok", but I would prefer a different voice as narrator, maybe even *gasp!* a male narrator! (I know, I know, this is blasphemy!) They have a mod for a male voice narrator in BG 3, but you have to search around for it, in the "dark corners", apparently it hurt too many peoples feelings or something, and they removed it from nexus mods.

I maintain that people should be free to be able to mod their game however they want, with no outside interference, and it doesn't hurt anyone. Even if they substitute a male narrator voice that they happen to prefer, over a female narrator. Amen.

My biggest issue with voice actors is the over-use of overly british accents in fantasy games especially. Especially the tired tropes of some of the language/race stereotypes we've all seen a lot of time.

Going back to V's voice, I think the male voice very much matches the "canon" face of V, that we've seen in the cinematics. And the female V is the same in my eyes. They both match.
That's another thing I dislike. When a voice doesn't really match a face. I know it might sound completely arbitrary, as to what matches and what doesn't, but for some reason I have preconceived notions as to when a voice matches a face, and when it doesn't. And it kind of takes me out when they don't.

My point is that a voice projects a lot of that character's personality, so by having only one male or female voice, all the visual customization is largely pointless, particularly in a 1st person game, and the idea of creating an original character is severely limited. I have no problem with a voiced main in a game where you are playing someone specific, Geralt or Sherlock Holmes for example, but not if you are intended to be creating someone of your own.
Absolutely agree and I hate that the industry is heading to full voicing.

I prefer my protagonist to be silent because I want to imagine how the lines are said for *my* character. I also prefer companions to be partially voiced because then I know what they sound like & apply my own imagination of how their lines are delivered.

With the current trend of full voice overs leaves no room for imagination and often breaks my immersion.

My biggest issue with voice actors is the over-use of overly british accents in fantasy games especially.
I don't know if I've noticed that in many games, but Baldur's Gate 3 is particularly bad in that way.

As for VO in general, I think some people are being unrealistic. Voice acting is a lot of work. We can't expect developers to start offering multiple voiceovers for the same character. At least not with real voice actors.

I agree that there should be an option to turn voices off, but very few Western RPGs have separate volume sliders for voices. BG3 and Disco Elysium are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure why so few developers include it.

You can't be silent in big budget cinematic style RPGs. Voiceless protags work in isometric text based games, or games like Fallout NV. That's just pure hard facts.

You want me to give you the bird as you try my patience sometimes.:slap:

My reply was to two other posts above yours as I usually ignore you.

Back
Top Bottom