Redfall - New game from Arkane.

@danutz_plusplus
Hope they ditch this online nonsense in those games but I doubt it.
There’s no justification for requiring a besthesda account.

There’s no justification for requiring a constant online connection for a single player game. That’s all there is to it. There are no arguments. It’s that simple.
On the plus side. It will be on GamePass. :cool:

Last edited:
That's good to hear, but this part is not so good to hear:
"When played alone, the game becomes less action-centric and focused on reconnaissance, gathering information on your enemies, and scouting them out to plan your best method of attack. "

Had he said, when played alone you have more time to immerse yourself into the world, its story, etc, I would've been more happy. Unless the game has a good solid narrative component, I'm afraid I might skip this. I really have no motivation to just go through combat encounters. But we'll see. Maybe it's just a marketing blunder that they're not mentioning or showing any cinematics, story, NPCs talking etc. I do hope the game is at least somewhat similar to Dishonored, in terms of how they deal with the story.
I'm not sure how that statement is a bad thing. Would you prefer it was more action-based? They can't change the game into something it's not.

As far as being similar to Dishonored, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Maybe it's just a marketing blunder that they're not mentioning or showing any cinematics, story, NPCs talking etc. I do hope the game is at least somewhat similar to Dishonored, in terms of how they deal with the story.
It's possible that it will have a similar amount of narrative to Dishonored. It's also possible that it won't since it's built around co-op, but it's common not to show much of the story or exploration in games in their trailers. I would bet that 95% of the Dishonered trailers showed off using the various powers against the various enemies.

I'm a big fan of what Arkane does, but if this can't truly be played as a single player game (as in being focused entirely on combat encounters), I'll skip it and hope it does well enough for them that they stick around and make another single player game down the road.

It's going to be significanly different from something like Dishonored just from being open-world. Rather than having a tight narrative arc, it looks like there are a large amount of missions that can be done in any order.

Here's some newer gameplay footage that was released last week. After seeing this, I think it might be a little better than my first impression.

I'm not sure how that statement is a bad thing. Would you prefer it was more action-based? They can't change the game into something it's not.
I meant the fact that they didn't underline something different when you're soloing.
It's gonna be the same combat focused game, just run at at different pace than if you were with friends.

I meant the fact that they didn't underline something different when you're soloing.
It's gonna be the same combat focused game, just run at at different pace than if you were with friends.
Not sure what you mean by underline. You can't expect them to create an entirely different experience for solo.

Also, it's not as if the game is just constant combat. Did you watch the video? You get missions, you explore, there are stealth elements etc.

Looks like Dead island and Borderlands with some Ghost Busters.
Probably fun but the Xbox means a no buy- it was excruciating getting my credit card out of their greedy little hands

He's talking about the Xbox version. Physical sales haven't been a factor on PC in years. I doubt it'll be that big a deal on Xbox either though tbh.

Diablo 3 requires a persistant connection and is the fourth highest selling PC game of all time.

Until we've got a clue WHY Redfall wants to be online all the time, it's hard to judge it. Is it a DRM thing? Is it using machine learning AI for NPCs that runs up on a server somewhere? <shrug>

Until we've got a clue WHY Redfall wants to be online all the time, it's hard to judge it. Is it a DRM thing? Is it using machine learning AI for NPCs that runs up on a server somewhere? <shrug>
I saw this article claiming they would be working on an offline option for "single player" mode, but I wouldn't take it for granted. Perhaps it's not very important anyway, seeing how bad the game is.

Besides, according to this review, the game seems made for coop:
Redfall is ultimately not up to Arkane's usual standards. It feels rushed, unfinished, and unsatisfying to play. Single-player is hampered by a squad-based open-world shooter structure, multiplayer held back by odd decisions, and decent gunplay is marred by uninspiring mission structures. It's a confusing game, full of contradictions, and the result is unfulfilling.

The reviews seem overwhelmingly negative. So bad that PC gamer and IGN have taken more time to release the score and final verdict.

Possibly a good thing as I dislike these sorts of games - and there have been many of them lately.

I will attempt Redfall when all of this dies down and when hopefully it will also be reduced in price.
I do have a small feeling that it could be exaggerated. But we'll see.
But it surely is not very original or impressive. At least it doesn't look like it. But expectations are everything in these situations.

Yeah, pretty disappointed myself. It’s 4 player co-op, so likely not for me, even though you could play it solo. These sorts of games tend to be really shallow in the areas I care about: story/lore.

What’s with the current obsession with these co-op games. Do they tend to sell microtransactions, or do they just generally sell well?
I think that coop is simply very popular. Lots of gamers enjoy playing with friends. They're just not here on the watch.

Pibbur who seems to remember that back then, before the age of computers, rpg's were mostly multiplayer/coop

I've only realized it was 70€ and that it had Denuvo, what's not to like. And why would they need a DRM on a game like that? :LOL:

What happened to Arkane Studios?

We know that a part of their team has left with the founder to get back their original "indie" spirit. But despite this change, Deathloop had good scores.

Back
Top Bottom