Risen 2 - PC Version Released

From a gameplay perspective, the combat reminds me (very early) of Gothic 3 without patches. Fighting animals is dull and not particularly fun without any skills or parrying etc to spice it up. I think I'll go guns just to avoid any real fighting.

For once we have a RPG where you arent wearing either plate or chain armor, it would make a LOT of sense with a agile, swift moving character that can roll and dodge. But no, instead we get a character who's so robotic he can't even dodge. I find that a bit funny.

Yep. The intro to the game is extremely poor and within the first couple of hours you're subjected to so many "WTF?!?" moments it's not even funny. It's best to just not think about the story really because as soon as you begin to use your brain you can't help but begin to wonder…
… and that's just off the top of my head. The game spams you with illogical and inconsistent stuff during the first couple of hours it's not even funny and I'm still having WTF moments now while exploring on Takarigua, albeit thankfully much less than during the opening scene.
They really should have done a much better intro and a much better starting area. I find it inexplicable how they even managed to do such a complete shit job on this important part of the game. Was there no supervision? No one saying 'bad idea, do it again'? All of this stuff is so obviously flawed it makes me wonder about the quality of the "swamp weed" at PB ;) .
Luckily the game does have its redeeming qualities when the typical PB feeling sets in while exploring Takarigua but, damn, that blow to the guts from the beginning of the game is not so easily overcome…
I'll only confirm this, there are indeed a few WTF moments within the plot at the beginning. It feels like PB rushed that portion of the game and later didn't give much thought about it. If they did the rechek on the story some things would probably be fixed. For example the sugar for Caldera nobles… Was it so hard just to switch the word "Caldera" into something else? Noone would ask questions about that now.
I just hope the ending isn't rushed because one WTF ME3 ending was enough in this year. ;)
Next time players should export some real quality sugar to PB storywriter and not virtual one to Caldera. Um…. Swamp weed I ment to say… Yea… :)

But this doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the game. I actually love it. I'm just ignoring WTF sentences when I stumble upon one.

it would make a LOT of sense with a agile, swift moving character that can roll and dodge. But no, instead we get a character who's so robotic he can't even dodge. I find that a bit funny.
He's too old for that stuff. Not only that, he ain't Geralt of Rivia. And may I remind you that acrobatics skill was banished from Gothic series ages ago.

From a gameplay perspective, the combat reminds me (very early) of Gothic 3 without patches. Fighting animals is dull and not particularly fun without any skills or parrying etc to spice it up. I think I'll go guns just to avoid any real fighting.

It starts to get better after you learn how to kick, but yeah.. fighting animals in the beginning is definitely dull.

I still think melee is a ton better than Gothic 3 though. At least there's a sense of impact when your sword, etc., hits something.

I have these drivers and without 3d vision. Did you see my video posted on previous page? Do you get those flickers in that location ?

Yeah, I get the same flickering. I'm too busy enjoying the game to really notice it though. :)

What I don't like is how the NPCs stand in front of their home like a waiting used car salesmen.

Some NPCs stand around, but the majority have some type of schedule just like any PB game. NPCs with jobs, i.e. Cooks, Blacksmiths, Gunsmiths, are constantly doing things.

- What's up with the weird story of the Commandant that there is a debate of the High Council whether to give up Caldera as a last bastion? What fucking "bastion"? Look at the scene. The whole goddamn city is burning and the fire is maybe 100m/y from the fortress. WTF?

There's an explanation somewhere that Caldera is protected by magical crystals underneath the city.

I agree about the shabby setup though. There should have been a cinematic, or at least a slideshow, to better bridge the gap between the two games.

And yeah... the reunion with Patty was horribly done.

He's too old for that stuff. Not only that, he ain't Geralt of Rivia. And may I remind you that acrobatics skill was banished from Gothic series ages ago.

Too old? He looks like 30-40 something, looks quite fit too. May i remind you that you can dodge in Risen and that you've always been able to dodge in Gothic's?

Last edited:
Too old? He looks like 30-40 something, looks quite fit too. May i remind you that you can dodge in Risen and that you've always been able to dodge in Gothic's?
I'm 40, quite fit and I assure you I can't roll, roll, roll and roll indefinetly. :)
The main character here is a pirate, not an acrobat. Well... Unless you think about him as if he was some classic piratemovie Burt Lancaster role? :)

Did you uninstall the 3D Vision drivers?

I'm 40, quite fit and I assure you I can't roll, roll, roll and roll indefinetly. :)
The main character here is a pirate, not an acrobat. Well… Unless you think about him as if he was some classic piratemovie Burt Lancaster role? :)

I'm 40 too, i can dodge if i would need to. Not so sure about rolling though ;) There's no problem with being agile at 40, just depends on how you treat yourself, if you go to the gym etc. Also, this is a game, it's not supposed to be 100% realistic.

The game is fun and I love the ambiance - the pirate banter is great ;-) I'm 8 hours in now, a little way into Sword Coast. Mostly happy but finding combat a little taxing…

I had my first stun-lock encounter - with a firebird. Being unable to dodge effectively (withdrawing or even moving sideways seems very slow) I got smacked and staggered again and again. I still don't really know how to fight effectively, not having read a manual (still missing under Steam - that's just inexcusable. I always read the manual - like a ritual, and part of the reason I like boxed games). I'm also struggling with 1on1 encounters with swordsman - granted I have not purchased many skills - but that's because they're too expensive (Or I'd have to run around naked). For some reason, parry seems to be largely ineffective? Under Risen 1 it pretty much blocked all damage. So, no more waiting for a gap with your sword raised - or leaping aside to avoid a stronger attack. Only reason I progressed well before was the distraction of Patty - and I'm plaything on Medium. I found combat under Risen 1 easier.

I wonder, why did they have to abandon Risen 1's excellent combat mechanics and go with THIS? Risen 2's combat is terrible. I'm not sure if I can continue playing.

I'm satisfied with the rest of the game. I haven't had any problems, so far. The game runs smoothly, this is the best looking PB game for me.

I must add the game reminds me of Gothic games. There are moments that you can only find in a Gothic game. In the beginning of the game,
when I offered to train new recruits by fighting their captain, and their captain beat me… I was there, lying on the ground and one of the recruits laughed and said: "That was brutal!". Added insult to the injury, and it was amazing. Something you can only find in a PB game.

I wonder, why did they have to abandon Risen 1's excellent combat mechanics and go with THIS? Risen 2's combat is terrible. I'm not sure if I can continue playing.

I'm satisfied with the rest of the game. I haven't had any problems, so far. The game runs smoothly, this is the best looking PB game for me.

Yes, the combat is def not an improvement - but I'm still finding enough atmosphere etc to enjoy it. I do feel pretty incompetent in combat though - maybe if I can afford to purchase more skills it will get better. Or I'll have to go the musket route...

Allright, so I'm well into the game now. Got my own ship and so on and so forth. Anyone know how to install the pre-order DLC? Treasure Isle or some such thing. Only thing I still haven't been able to figure out I think.

Update: It just appeared in my log after a certain conversation. Didn't know it was triggered that far into the game.

I don't really like the trap QTEs. They're not difficult by any stretch and some of them sort of clue you in to their presense, but others (like the one in the forest on the first island) just seem to be placed in parts of the game where they know you'll be bored from fighting animals and trodging down a path full of space-warping foliage. They're not fun or challenging. Some of them - the ones that are more-or-less out of nowhere, not the ones in say crypts triggered indiana jones style -seem to just be "oh you were scratching your nose, reload bitch!" moments. It's a silly mechanic; it doesn't ruin the game but it doesn't seem to belong or improve it at all.

The beginning is weak. It gets better after a few hours, when you're in the pirate village. Then the typical Gothic atmosphere kicks in.

The combat is way floatier and faster than Risen and the intro area is still ridiculous as it was in the beta. They toned down the gyrations during dialog, which is pretty cool. Patty is far less robotic in dialogs. She seems to look distorted in most dialogs, though. She still has a mega-wide face.

After getting off the intro area things improved considerably. I didn't finish Risen, just played the first chapter through a few times (for some reason, I'd run out of steam and just quit around then. Both times I played), so the plot confusion people are talking about here hasn't hit me.

Today, I installed the game. Its combat is a real step down from Risen 1. Unlike R1 there's no dodging from monsters and since jump is so awkward you can't use it too. All you can do is press the attack button insanely and pray that your character kills it before it kills you. It's so ridiculous decision to remove it from the game.

The baloon plants are just hilarious. There's no way that's a design choice.

Also what's up with the running animation? I remember Brother None being critical of animations but that's just horrible. Wasn't there supposed to be MoCap?

Maybe they used MoCap of someone running in place - or maybe that's just how the actor runs for real? I bet gym class was hell for them.

Back
Top Bottom