RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2022 and Most Promising RPG 2023 Vote

I wish everyone a safe, good and healthy new year 2023 !

God of War would have been on my top 3 list if I considered it new in 2022. God of War: Ragnarok would havbe been on the top 3 list if RPGWatch considered it new in 2022. ;)

God of War would have been on my top 3 list if I considered it new in 2022. God of War: Ragnarok would havbe been on the top 3 list if RPGWatch considered it new in 2022. ;)
You can select God of War for 2022; God of War: Ragnarök hasn't be announced for the PC yet.

2023 list is mouth-watering compared to the terrible 2022 list. Voted for BG3, Rogue Trader, and Colony Ship as the most anticipated, though I doubt Rogue Trader will be out in 2023.

2023 list is mouth-watering compared to the terrible 2022 list. Voted for BG3, Rogue Trader, and Colony Ship as the most anticipated, though I doubt Rogue Trader will be out in 2023.
Owlcat generally release their games around a year after they first announce it. So a Q3 2023 release is very possible. It's also in Alpha at this point as well, Beta is next.
There’s no official word yet on the Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader release date, so we’re in the dark as to exactly when our voyage into the stars will begin. However, there are certain insights we can glean from Owlcat’s previous titles and its release schedules.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, Owlcat’s last title, was announced in February 2020 and released in September 2021. Pathfinder: Kingmaker, the first entry in the series, was announced in July 2017 and released in September 2018.

These development timelines give us a rule of thumb that we can use to make an educated guess as to Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader’s release date. With this in mind, we can estimate that we’re likely looking at a late summer or autumn 2023 release window for the title.

However, much like the tricky ebbs and flows of the Warp itself, we must remember that nothing is certain. Owlcat may well surprise us one way or another.

I don't know, I just find it hard to believe they can churn out a new RPG of the same quality level, with an all-new rules system and setting, that quickly. Although I have played the alpha, and it looks surprisingly polished already, so maybe?

I agree maybe in 2023 though I was surprised the Alpha was released this year.:nod:

I don't know, I just find it hard to believe they can churn out a new RPG of the same quality level, with an all-new rules system and setting, that quickly. Although I have played the alpha, and it looks surprisingly polished already, so maybe?
I think it's largely going to depend on how much people like the setting. It's apples and oranges compared to the Pathfinder games, and fans of those games shouldn't assume they're going to like Rogue trader. Personally, the alpha didn't do much for me.

2023 looks like a great year for sure. I voted for BG3, Broken Roads and Skald but there were so many others I wanted to include as well.

The "anticipated" list always looks better than the "published" list. This will be the same in one year from now. :wings:

That's what happened with WotR, many features weren't in the alpha yet. The rule system wasn't entirely new but it more than doubled in complexity since Kingmaker.

The question is, will they release it early under pressure, or will they make sure it's stable enough this time?

My top game was King Arthur: Knight's Tale. It wasn't amazing, but it was the best 'new' game I played in 2022. I otherwise spent most of this year catching up on stuff I missed the last couple of years. I was fairly disappointed in Expeditions: Rome, so it's surprising to see how popular it was to others.

Anyway, great years coming for gaming in 2023 & 2024. A lot of sequels to popular franchises and a few new ones.

How is God of War an RPG? Not saying it isn't, but I'm just curious. I thought it was more of an action-adventure game.
Yes, I thought this when the list was released & immediately looked into it. I saw that one of it's genre descriptors was Hack and Slash, so assumed it ticked one of the ARPG boxes, but I haven't played it so have no idea if it's even close to a basic ARPG Hack'n'Slash.

I didn't play a single RPG on that list for 2022 so I had to put none for all three choices. Most anticipated are Archaelund, Colony Ship, Rogue Trader.

I didn't play a single RPG on that list for 2022 so I had to put none for all three choices. Most anticipated are Archaelund, Colony Ship, Rogue Trader.
Archaelund won’t be out in 2023 though, it shouldn’t be on the list. Last I saw, their FAQ says 2024 minimum.

The only 2022 games I tried were Expeditions: Rome and Weird West. While both were okay, they do not deserve a GoTY vote. I voted none believing that the award goes for Elden Ring on this site too. Perhaps that game has deserved it (I'll check it out later). My most anticipated are BG3, a big gap, and then Starfield and Hogwart's legacy. I doubt that I'll play those two latter ones this year, though, as I hope to spend the entire autumn with BG3.

Last edited:
I've almost finished Pentiment now and I'm kind of glad I didn't vote for it. While it is a good game the CRPG elements are minimal, it is basically a Virtual Novel with some adventure game elements.

Back
Top Bottom