RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2022 and Most Promising RPG 2023 Vote

There's been quite the mixed bag for voting this year, it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out with so many different games getting different people's no.1 spot. Almost every responder to the thread has named a different choice!

There's been quite the mixed bag for voting this year, it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out with so many different games getting different people's no.1 spot. Almost every responder to the thread has named a different choice!
That makes 'none' the likely winner.

That makes 'none' the likely winner.
But that hasn't been released yet!

But that hasn't been released yet!

I thought the point of Nun's was that they never release. ;-)

I imagine the staff picks will be none as well. :LOL:

As for the gamer picks it will probably come down to one or two vote difference.

<None> can be picked, but it can't win.

Last day for voting - I'll close the vote at German Midnight (UTC +1).

Let me rephrase that for easier understanding. No game will win so in effect none will. That has happened with the staff not gamer picks, were either of three can't be decided.

I suspect Crimson Desert will be exactly another online game like Black Desert, which is a terrifying prospect considering how good it looks and how much time and money I wasted on BDO. :p

Crimson Desert "brings together SP and MP" so it's probably like Watch Dogs and others, hopefully with an option to turn invasive MP trolls off. EDIT: (ref) "combine elements of narrative-driven single-player games with online multiplayer functionality"

Crimson Desert is basically like Elden Ring, SP RPG game with some co-op function (maybe co-op side quests, whatever). Its not MMO, despite some chaos and bad labeling that PR of the studio make. It has a story, cinematics, several important characters (aside from the hero) and side quests/content.

Its not MMO, despite some chaos and bad labeling that PR of the studio make.
Their site is a mess but I've never seen any mention of MMO for this game.

I'm wondering if anyone is enjoying the SP/MP mixed experience in those games, that's one of the features I'm instantly turning off. I remember trying it once with Watch Dogs and it was ridiculous - spam and trolling is the closest description I could give.

Crimson Desert is basically like Elden Ring, SP RPG game with some co-op function (maybe co-op side quests, whatever). Its not MMO, despite some chaos and bad labeling that PR of the studio make. It has a story, cinematics, several important characters (aside from the hero) and side quests/content.
Any idea about a possible release date? I'm interested enough to follow it now, but it apparently still doesn't have a Steam page yet. I'm guessing this is another game delayed because of the pandemic.

Any idea about a possible release date? I'm interested enough to follow it now, but it apparently still doesn't have a Steam page yet. I'm guessing this is another game delayed because of the pandemic.
According to this, it's been delayed until autumn 2023 at least.

I mean, I can see they're not labeling it as an MMO but I do feel that's because BDO is already mostly SP. They might as well remove the other players. You can't even PVP or do world bosses until level 40.

Like, they talk about the need to finish the singleplayer then you can make a multiplayer character or something? That just sounds like playing BDO and finishing the "main" quest offline which will take you to about level 50. Then you can go online and get destroyed in PVP or join in with the world boss fights and eventually do one of the 3 co-op dungeons. It really wouldn't change the experience taking the main quest offline.

Crimson Desert isn't new news. They were talking about it in BDO ages ago. It must have been in development for well over 5 years. I can't remember when I first heard about it.

But I'm not expecting Pearl Abyss, who has made their fortune from a very clever F2P MMORPG business model, to just release Crimson Desert as a $60 boxed game with no item mall, like Elden Ring. They're going to want some serious returns on the investment. But they're also not going to want to sabotage what they have going with BDO which still makes very good profit. So, they have to be a little different but also a lot the same.

I've played a lot of Black Desert. I can see, just from the trailer, how similar they are in the action combat and the game engine. They've gone for a darker, more gritty aesthetic than BDO, that should appeal more to adults and Europeans, but at the same time they're also working on a game clearly aimed at children called DokeV and...
...They're also doing a sci-fi themed game, which is also looking really good, called Plan8, that you might be interested in.

I dunno, just don't expect Elden Ring. My guess is it will be free or very cheap like $15, just so it costs more to make bot accounts, but will cover all the bases that they know make the big bucks from BDO, which never appear during the main quest.

You might be able to just play the SP campaign for free then quit which, judging by the length of the BDO main quest, is longer than many full boxed games, anyway, so CD probably is worth keeping an eye on. It could well be a very good free experience if you quit before the multiplayer starts.

The user voting is over. I will do some Excel magic to calculate the winners.

PS:
The RPGWatch Team members still need to vote in our Team channel!
I look forward to see large % of none ;)

I look forward to see large % of none.
Me as well will be hilarious to see the percentage difference. :LOL:

Still we don't know the votes of the silent members who rarely comment. :unsure:

I'm wondering if anyone is enjoying the SP/MP mixed experience in those games, that's one of the features I'm instantly turning off. I remember trying it once with Watch Dogs and it was ridiculous - spam and trolling is the closest description I could give.

Like, they talk about the need to finish the singleplayer then you can make a multiplayer character or something? That just sounds like playing BDO and finishing the "main" quest offline which will take you to about level 50. Then you can go online and get destroyed in PVP or join in with the world boss fights and eventually do one of the 3 co-op dungeons. It really wouldn't change the experience taking the main quest offline.

But I'm not expecting Pearl Abyss, who has made their fortune from a very clever F2P MMORPG business model, to just release Crimson Desert as a $60 boxed game with no item mall, like Elden Ring. They're going to want some serious returns on the investment.

As I said it should be like Elden Ring so its not like you describe, guys. MP doesnt start after you finish the story. You play SP, but in some places (in cities?) you can summon other players for co-op mission. Its your decision if you do that.
Or if you activate "online functionality" in the game there can be other instances where you will see something from other players (for example some leaderboards or whatever).
But it could change, of course, so dont bash me when the game comes. :)

Back
Top Bottom