RPGWatch - GotY 2015 Awards - Best RPG

Guess you guys hate anime-related games even more. :p

Not all of us...;)

Though...I admit I didn't see anything in Undertale to interest me.

Pillars of Eternity? I'm dissapointed in you, Watch. :movingon:

Surprised ? You need to ask yourself who writes these articles first.

I remember someone wrote a review here and rated PoE 10/10 (lolz) , article itself was pretty pathetic and called "PoE Opinion article" or some BS… when I asked him, you didn't find nothing wrong with the game, he said no.

And why is there a half-finished game in the list?

From the votes of the thread I am actually surprised that Underrail didn't get any of the first three spots on the community vote. I guess the non-vocal folk has a distribution more towards non-indie games. But I am glad that it got a Editor Choice award at least.

I would have voted underrail 3rd instead of FO4 but I didn't try underrail until after voting.

Undertale over bloodborne made me vomit a little. I am seriously losing touch here.
YOU'RE out of touch?? I think I'm just now ready to vote for the 2014 GOTY awards! Pillars of Eternity is the only game on that whole list that I've played.

I remember someone wrote a review here and rated PoE 10/10 (lolz) , article itself was pretty pathetic and called "PoE Opinion article" or some BS… when I asked him, you didn't find nothing wrong with the game, he said no.
Well, it was an opinion article, our review of the game gave it 4 out of 5.
Here are our articles on the game.

It needs to be said that Codex invited their members to come vote here for Fallout 4 so to troll the Watch.

It needs to be said that Codex invited their members to come vote here for Fallout 4 so to troll the Watch.
I was wondering how that happened... Well, at least the staff's top 3 didn't include it.

It was also a good game that generated positive comments from quite a lot of Watchers. Deserves its place in my opinion.

Very happy that the majority does not answer to the hate mongering against POE.

Haven't had that much fun with a game for 10 years. Well, with the first 2/3 at least, until it all crumbled to pieces in the last act.

To be fair, the last quarter of underrail isn't as well crafted as the rest either. But imho it never became as boring as Pillars became in the last part.

I was quite interested in Underrail, even though I'm not a post-apoc fan, but then I heard it has serious respawn issues in places and other similarly disconcerting bits and pieces, such as it being single character. No idea the severity or truth to any of this, but it dropped of my interest list as a result.

It has respawn but it is very limited.
Let's say you kill 5 bandits and 2 rats in a zone. If you enter it after 90 minutes (I think that is the reset timer) the 2 rats will be respawned.

And in the majority of cases it's just rats in most zones. You can even wear an item which makes them your friends. Also if you use stealth (and it's not an exotic specialization but probably recommended for most builds) you could just sneak by anyways.

Being single character only is true. And being a single character game using multi character mechanics brings indeed a couple of issues with it (e.g. bigger influence of RNG)

I don't think the Codex needs to disappointed, don't most Codexers also prefer dumbed down cinematic games? ;)

I would have voted Shadorun HK up a little higher, but that is because that and PoE are all I've played on the list... so there's that. I like witcher and all, but I am sucker for isometrics. But yeah, Shadowrun HK is really a lot better than its predecessors, especially with roleplay choices.

Myrthos,

How about our 2016 votes ?

So many good RPGs in 2015, and that husk of mediocrity and linear dialogue trees, Fallout 4, winds up on top… WTF… Flabbergasted right now.

Very happy that the majority does not answer to the hate mongering against POE.

Very happy that the majority has mediocre tastes and will praise nearly anything with proper marketing. So I will have all underrated gems for myself! Yiipieee

Haven't had that much fun with a game for 10 years.

You obviously missed a lot of good titles

To be fair, the last quarter of underrail isn't as well crafted as the rest either. But imho it never became as boring as Pillars became in the last part.

Absolutely.

From the votes of the thread I am actually surprised that Underrail didn't get any of the first three spots on the community vote.

Its actually understandable considering how many graphics whores and Voice acting-loving novice gamers you have on these boards mate …. On the other hand give them Mass Effect with romanceable transgender aliens or Fallout 5 with 1 dialogue choice and they will jizz a little in there pants

At any rate, I feel 2015 was a terrific year for RPGs, with several titles that each could have won in some of the rather dry years we've been through. As for the actual order, I voted in roughly the same order as a lot of readers it seems, but that doesn't really mean much at this point: There should be something for everyone on that list, and that's what really counts.

For all games in fact, the best in the last five years at least...Soma, Ori, Vermintide, Rocket League are all at the top of their class. And success of Undertale could encourage some talented people in making some great indie titles in the future.

Back
Top Bottom