Rules on Emote reactions?

You need a poll to determine if people are in agreement that using the site's tools as a means to stalkerishly harass other users in a deliberately malicious way is a bad thing?
He's roll-eyed 5 of your posts over the course of the past month. Hardly qualifies at stalkerish harassment.

And yet here we are on post #39 supposedly in some kind of difficult quandary.
Not really, it's more that this isn't a pressing matter when we're talking about 5 roll-eyes per month.

Like I said I'm fine with the emoticons and wish we had more variety. I also said before I get plenty of eye rolls and unamused ones, and yes it's usually my fault.

So before you get mad about the issue reflect and think maybe it's warrented.

He's roll-eyed 5 of your posts over the course of the past month. Hardly qualifies at stalkerish harassment.

Not really, it's more that this isn't a pressing matter when we're talking about 5 roll-eyes per month.
The number per month is somewhat irrelevant, as it depends entirely on how many posts I make.

5KUlruw.jpg

3o8kYi9.jpg

There's 8 there in the space of 7 minutes. And it just so happens to be, oh what a surprise, all of my posts.

Are you, essentially, saying that if I wish to continue using the site then I will just have to be accepting that I will have to have this monkey on my back whether I like it or not and that that is something you fully condone?

Ironically, that post might be the most worthy of an eye roll to date.
Nope.

Sorry I disagreed with you once.

Can we put that behind us now and actually get to grips with the prescient issue of bullying and harassment?

Nope.

Sorry I disagreed with you once.

Can we put that behind us now and actually get to grips with the prescient issue of bullying and harassment?
It's an emoticon. Acting like it's a dire issue of bullying compared to, well, just about any actual bullying, it just isn't a good look, and it's unlikely to garner you any sympathy. And I can almost guarantee you that it encourages Arthureloi to keep doing it.

You won't, because it's not in your nature, but I sincerely recommend that you ignore it, ignore him, and try to put it in context and see it as the non-issue it is. Or you could write 10 paragraphs explaining how it's the worst cruelty ever perpetrated on a human being in the digital age and how it presages an utter collapse of civil discourse on this forum. I'm breathless with anticipation.

I was not aware of this thread until this moment.

I did not know simple emoticons could cause such fuss. JDR13 contacted me about it some time ago and I stopped sending him emoticons.

As for lackblogger, his posts are such low quality that I feel compelled to react, no harm intended.

I am taking the matter into my own hands and would like to state that, from now on, I won't use the roll eyes emoticon on lackblogger's posts anymore. I will use the unamused one now. Here's hoping, sincerely, that this new emoticon won't disturb him further!

I didn’t even realize there were negative emotes. I remember long ago I asked for a dislike button since we had a like button but I was shot down.

I don’t have a problem with negative emotes but if someone is just putting them on every post of another user to troll them that should be dealt with or need to be explained. Conversely though it’s hard to prove intent. For instance had I been granted that dislike button long ago I genuinely could have slapped it on 95% of Joxers posts because we just had very different ideas and tastes.

I didn’t even realize there were negative emotes. I remember long ago I asked for a dislike button since we had a like button but I was shot down.
Indeed, this is the thread:

And, yes, the vast majority of RPGwatch 2016/17 was very much against the idea of just a dislike button, with many not even wanting the like button.

And that pretty much all those expressing favour were codex interlopers. And if there's one thing RPGwatch shouldn't be, it's some codex 2.0 only smaller. I mean, what's the point?

Emoticons are fine the way they are IMO. I really dislike people getting angry at me (or even worse: assume malicious intent), but I won't get too upset with anyone giving me a "bad" emoticon.

There's quite a range of opinions here and most seem to be able to keep it civil, so it seems quite alright.

He's roll-eyed 5 of your posts over the course of the past month.
That's nothing. Nothing at all. Really : I could roll-eye over my post within SECONDS !
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Okay, this was just a TEST. :D

Doesn't this site have an ignore user option?

It does but you still see every post it just says this user is on your ignore list.

Basically a yellow spoiler that you can still click to read.

Emoticons are fine the way they are IMO. I really dislike people getting angry at me (or even worse: assume malicious intent), but I won't get too upset with anyone giving me a "bad" emoticon.

There's quite a range of opinions here and most seem to be able to keep it civil, so it seems quite alright.
You might feel differently if there was someone following you around, using the same "negative" emote on every single post you made, regardless of the contents of that particular post. Or would you be fine with it, knowing that you posted things this individual didn't like in the past, so now you're just getting what you deserve?

If you ignore someone, does that prevent all their reactions to your posts from showing up to you? Seems that would be required.

If you ignore someone, does that prevent all their reactions to your posts from showing up to you? Seems that would be required.
Once again no the ignored member can still quote you and give reactions.

Your just not notified anymore.

You might feel differently if there was someone following you around, using the same "negative" emote on every single post you made, regardless of the contents of that particular post. Or would you be fine with it, knowing that you posted things this individual didn't like in the past, so now you're just getting what you deserve?

I would probably feel some distress at first, but doubt I would care much after a while. Hasn't happened yet though, so who knows, maybe it's more distressing than I think?

I'd put them on ignore if I don't get an explanation why they keep doing it.

Ignoring someone makes their posts invisible and I get no notifications of quotes. I don't know what happens to emoticon reactions, though.

This is how I feel too, I'm Team @lackblogger on this issue. I might have emoted to a post of lackbloggers and he might have thought well that's interesting Qayto liked/disliked my post, I'll go see if she's made a post or ask her about it, but my emote is just lost in the wall of pointless emote notifications by Arthurloi.

If it were me being followed around like a bad smell, I might just stop posting. It may seem a trivial thing and people should just suck it up but I can see how it would become irritating. Lackblogger shouts back but others might just go quiet.

I quite like emotes though, a post that has a lot of emotes will draw my eye. I "like" things sometimes to show I have read something, to appreciate the time people are taking to share but I don't want to clutter up the discussion with "Yay, me too". I would like to see a "care" emote, someone might have had a flood or a poorly relative or still be stuck on a character creation screen, and I want them to know I've read it, and I do care.

Back
Top Bottom