Shroud of the Avatar - Final Wipe in July

Every month for a year I have been downloading the updates, hoping that something significant changes but it never does. The game is not fun to play, there is no flow to it for me and it has got the worst combat I have ever seen in a MMO. I just bought Asherons call which also gives you AC2 and both are way better then SOTA.
I just also saw there was a poll about should the single-player game get the same content;I don't know how that turned out but i have a feeling they are trying to shed themselves some work. Too bad, right now I would rather play U9 then this and that is a bad sign.

POLL: All Content Available in Offline Mode?

Content: There are a few items that we are not going to sell in game in Online mode including the Castle and Keep sized lots. However we do plan to make those available in Offline mode along with a handful of other items yet to be finalized.

After reading about how negatively many backers (and external folks as well) view our Pledge structure and Add On Store we thought a powerful gesture would be to make ALL content available in Offline mode including ALL add on store items and pledge rewards. Players would still have to earn enough gold to purchase them or gather enough resources to make them in game, unless they purchased them which in that case they would start the game with them just like they do now.

Our only concern is that backers who did pay for the content might feel upset that content they believed exclusive was available to any player (even if only in offline mode).

Last month I started a poll in Dev+ to get some initial reaction from the group with the "most to lose". That poll is currently standing at over 90% positive, so at the request of several Dev+ backers we have decided to expand the poll to ALL our backers (here). Thank you in advance for participating.

Notes:

Earned/Crafted: As mentioned above all these item will have to be crafted or purchased with gold. The bigger items like LotM house will only be affordable after many, many hours of play. You will NOT just get them all at the start, unless you purchased them. That is the purchase value in offline: you start with items everyone else has to earn.
Offline Firewalled: Offline mode has ZERO connectivity to online modes. Nothing can move between the two modes.
Online only items: Some items have functionality that is only useful in online mode (ex. Fyndoro's Tablet, Noble Discourse Orb, etc.). In most cases these items will be reduced to non-functional decorations but in a few cases we will try to make an offline function.
Hacking: In Offline mode hackers will create mods that unlock all the content anyway

I thought this was in development hell?

Sorry this game didn't work out for you, Rune. No sarcasm. I am. I am also glad I realized where this game was headed before backing it, because I did seriously consider backing it and almost pulled the trigger. I've been conned before. Star Citizen comes to mind, and I think there may have been one other.

I suppose the jury is still out on Sat Citizen, but to me these two games have followed similar arcs. I realized Star Citizen was headed down this same path before its Kickstarter closed, as I recall, but I decided to leave my pledge anyway, as I am a sucker for a space sim. Garriott and What's His Face From Wing Commander And Now Star Citizen were in close communication and offered cross-game Kickstarter rewards, like a boarding battle axe in Star Citizen for pledging to Garriott's latest debacle. I read some interview with one of them (I think it was Star Citizen Dude) talking about how single player needed to be heavily emphasized if you wanted a successful Kickstarter campaign, because that is what the Kickstarter audience really wanted. BSing your single player became a little trend on Kickstarter and perhaps still is. I don't know, as I don't follow Kickstrter closely anymore.

You are probably thinking about new Elite as that one other.

Sorry this game didn't work out for you, Rune. No sarcasm. I am. I am also glad I realized where this game was headed before backing it, because I did seriously consider backing it and almost pulled the trigger. I've been conned before. Star Citizen comes to mind, and I think there may have been one other.

I suppose the jury is still out on Sat Citizen, but to me these two games have followed similar arcs. I realized Star Citizen was headed down this same path before its Kickstarter closed, as I recall, but I decided to leave my pledge anyway, as I am a sucker for a space sim. Garriott and What's His Face From Wing Commander And Now Star Citizen were in close communication and offered cross-game Kickstarter rewards, like a boarding battle axe in Star Citizen for pledging to Garriott's latest debacle. I read some interview with one of them (I think it was Star Citizen Dude) talking about how single player needed to be heavily emphasized if you wanted a successful Kickstarter campaign, because that is what the Kickstarter audience really wanted. BSing your single player became a little trend on Kickstarter and perhaps still is. I don't know, as I don't follow Kickstrter closely anymore.

The funny thing is I played a bit today. I started up the new build. I can say it is coming a long.....it has so far to go though...you can see glimmers of stuff there, thinking wow that is neat....In some ways I think this could have benefited from a traditional publishing model where it didn't rely on these heavy backers.

I realized something else, the reason they are where they are is they just bit off too much for a team this size....the world is huge. Literally. There is so much to be done.

Too bad, right now I would rather play U9 then this and that is a bad sign.
At this point, the hilarious irony is that EA could commission an Ultima 10 and it'd likely turn out better than the SotA disaster.

Well Rune, I hope you learned a valuable lesson with Shroud of the Avatar. You are one of my least favorite posters on this site due to how fanatical and aggressive you push your personal opinions, although I do have some respect for this mea culpa.

Still, I definitely remember how much of a dick you were to members of this forum when they voiced concerns and cynicism regarding this game - concerns which were very reasonable and not at all driven by the typically hateful internet rhetoric. Instead, the skepticism regarding Shroud was based on obvious evidence of something being amiss, and grounded on legitimate observations. And still, you made it your personal mission to defend this game as if it were sacrilege to question its (unproven) greatness, in the usual aggressive tone that you seem to rely on when confronted with differing viewpoints.

Perhaps now, with a healthy serving of egg on your digital face, you will try to tone down your blind fanaticism and attacks on those who don't share your opinion in the future?

Well Rune, I hope you learned a valuable lesson with Shroud of the Avatar. You are one of my least favorite posters on this site due to how fanatical and aggressive you push your personal opinions, although I do have some respect for this mea culpa.

Still, I definitely remember how much of a dick you were to members of this forum when they voiced concerns and cynicism regarding this game - concerns which were very reasonable and not at all driven by the typically hateful internet rhetoric. Instead, the skepticism regarding Shroud was based on obvious evidence of something being amiss, and grounded on legitimate observations. And still, you made it your personal mission to defend this game as if it were sacrilege to question its (unproven) greatness, in the usual aggressive tone that you seem to rely on when confronted with differing viewpoints.

Perhaps now, with a healthy serving of egg on your digital face, you will try to tone down your blind fanaticism and attacks on those who don't share your opinion in the future?

Well, nothing like coming in late to throw huh…good on ya.

I don't believe I have blind fanaticism, I guess some will disagree as you have shown. I don't think I would go a long the lines of a post like this though, so I will grant you that. To be fair, I don't really remember many posts by you....I have to think back, if there was some problems I hope we can get past them.

Last edited:
Well, nothing like coming in late to throw huh…good on ya.

No, not seeking to "throw," just hoping that you can contribute in a more respectful manner than what you have displayed. You do occasionally come across like a reasonable and intelligent person, so maybe this Shroud of the Avatar revelation can help you communicate in a less combative manner in the future.

No, not seeking to "throw," just hoping that you can contribute in a more respectful manner than what you have displayed. You do occasionally come across like a reasonable and intelligent person, so maybe this Shroud of the Avatar revelation can help you communicate in a less combative manner in the future.

I contribute a lot here, sometimes when dealing with some members I don't always put up with their stuff for as long as I maybe should.

This way you are talking to me is a bit off, and that's cool I put myself out there, explained myself pretty good. If you want to take a few shots at my character, welcome to it. Time and a place, but whatever. I have thick skin.

I had zero hopes for this game when I backed at the minimum tier, but along the way I thought it might be fun to play around with some character builds, if nothing else. Time will tell. I definitely won't jump in come launch, I'll wait and see if they improve the game.

Still, I definitely remember how much of a dick you were to members of this forum when they voiced valid concerns and cynicism regarding this game - concerns which were reasonable and not at all driven by the typically hateful internet rhetoric. Instead, the skepticism regarding Shroud was based on obvious evidence of something being amiss, and grounded on legitimate observations. And still, you made it your personal mission to defend this game as if it were sacrilege to question its (unproven) greatness, in the usual aggressive tone that you seem to rely on when confronted with differing viewpoints.

Rune will stubbornly defend everything which doesn't deserve to be defended , like catastrophic console ports, half-done copy-pasted games, or this Garriot's cum stain, even after its proven its trash.

So no, it wont stop, because fakers need to invent imaginary reasons to justify bad taste and lack of information

Last edited:
Rune will stubbornly defend everything which doesn't deserve to be defended , like catastrophic console ports, half-done copy-pasted games, or this Garriot's cum stain, even after its proven its trash.

So no, it wont stop, because fakers need to invent imaginary reasons to justify having a bad taste and lack of information

Ahh, if only I was like this poster, Naverine is this what you call good?

Guys, cool it please; all these personal attacks have NO place in these forums. Consider this a friendly warning!!

Guys, cool it please; all these personal attacks have NO place in these forums. Consider this a friendly warning!!
Ah but Corwin this has been going on for the last few months.:)

Glad to see a moderator is finally aware of this of behavior.

- Wisdom firmly takes the stick and cauldron away from Couch before he continues stirring. -

- Wisdom firmly takes the stick and cauldron away from Couch before he continues stirring. -
Well I'll take back the stick & cauldron, and will continue speaking as it's the truth. I'm not being offensive or rude, but a few posters keep ruining threads with their behavior.

Like I said above this has been going on for the last few months.

I even reported the behavior multiple times, and nothing was ever done. So now you can have the stick & cauldron back as I'm done with it. As I said my two cents.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom