Siege of Dragonspear - Review @ RPS

What these people sadly don't seem to understand is that if you are against any form of LGBT writing, or race writing, or writing that depicts someone other than your race/creed/religion/group/whatever, then yes, you are a bigot/racist/whatever.

It's very sad to see people say such ignorant things like "Beamdog shouldn't shove these issues down our throat", etc. What agenda are they pushing, exactly? Equality?

I mean, LGBT are REAL people in the world that deserve just as much representation as ANYONE else. To think otherwise is ignorant, very sad and to be frank, very foolish and narrow-minded.

Anyone who thinks that way should be ashamed of themselves. It's no different than black people trying to get representation or anyone else that has ever been oppressed.

The positive sign to take from all of this is that this whole hub-bub are simply growing pains for the human race. In a short period of time, a lot of folks are going to look back on this thing like it was the Stone Ages and realize how wrong they were. Growing pains is all it is.

if you are against any form of LGBT writing, or race writing, or writing that depicts someone other than your race/creed/religion/group/whatever, then yes, you are a bigot/racist/whatever.

So no matter the quality its golden is that right? You do realise poor quality writing undermines the presentation of LGBT issues which Beamdog itself has agreed with?

It's very sad to see people say such ignorant things like "Beamdog shouldn't shove these issues down our throat", etc. What agenda are they pushing, exactly? Equality?
There's nothing wrong with that quoted statement. That statement says that people are asking for nuance in the writing and role playing options as the writing itself came off as heavy handed. The quote doesn't say they are against anyone or cast aspersions on anyone. The creator of D&D himself has said they like to soft-ball these issues of sexuality and not throw it in peoples faces. Casting aspersions against people for expressing an opinion on writing reeks of straw-manning and I expect better of you Fluent.

Sure some people are uncomfortable with it but don't generalise people and put them into camps for or against. Be specific with your criticisms.

I mean, LGBT are REAL people in the world that deserve just as much representation as ANYONE else. To think otherwise is ignorant, very sad and to be frank, very foolish and narrow-minded.

And very few are arguing against this thankfully.

So no matter the quality its golden is that right? You do realise poor quality writing undermines the presentation of LGBT issues which Beamdog itself has agreed with?

There's nothing wrong with that quoted statement. That statement says that people are asking for nuance in the writing and role playing options as the writing itself came off as heavy handed. The quote doesn't say they are against anyone or cast aspersions on anyone. The creator of D&D himself has said they like to soft-ball these issues of sexuality and not throw it in peoples faces. Casting aspersions against people for expressing an opinion on writing reeks of straw-manning and I expect better of you Fluent.

Sure some people are uncomfortable with it but don't generalise people and put them into camps for or against. Be specific with your criticisms.

And very few are arguing against this thankfully.

Are you asserting that it's the poor writing and not the lgbt issue that's caused all this?

Video games are plagued with bad writing and nary a peep about it. This has nothing to do with poor writing.

Are you asserting that it's the poor writing and not the lgbt issue that's caused all this?

Video games are plagued with bad writing and nary a peep about it. This has nothing to do with poor writing.

Know that for a fact do you? Most media (and Beamdog) like to focus on the controversial to drive clicks and deflect criticism and I'm getting a bit sick of it. Everyone was responding to Amber Scotts interview with Kotaku and her attitude to the property until it suddenly became about something else ~ I wonder why. :roll:

Know that for a fact do you? Most media (and Beamdog) like to focus on the controversial to drive clicks and deflect criticism and I'm getting a bit sick of it. Everyone was responding to Amber Scotts interview with Kotaku and her attitude to the property until it suddenly became about something else ~ I wonder why. :roll:

So your not sayin it's about poor writing then?

Rage. Rage never changes.

Speak for yourselves. Frankly I'm getting tired of so called SJWs preaching others. It's always the tone of "either you agree with us or you are LGBT hating, scarred, narrow minded human beings". It's like if I say something negative about game or someone who's labelling *themselves* as SJW, they focus on whole argument on that even though I may not be talking about that particular subject "omg you hate/criticise that product/person because they support LGBT". No, I just happened to think the product is mediocre, regardless of minor LGBT related content included. The focus is not that. But nope, some people just love to go back, both sides of extremes.

Some of us feel SoD is mediocre game, regardless of this whole LGBT non sense. End of the story. Suit yourselves if you think the game is worth $20 for your time. But don't try to preach us on what we like/don't like sorely is focused on LGBT crap and reduce us to retards.

Last edited:
What these people sadly don't seem to understand is that if you are against any form of LGBT writing, or race writing, or writing that depicts someone other than your race/creed/religion/group/whatever, then yes, you are a bigot/racist/whatever.

Anyone who thinks that way should be ashamed of themselves. It's no different than black people trying to get representation or anyone else that has ever been oppressed.

The positive sign to take from all of this is that this whole hub-bub are simply growing pains for the human race. In a short period of time, a lot of folks are going to look back on this thing like it was the Stone Ages and realize how wrong they were. Growing pains is all it is.

I don't like straight romance shove up my nose either in my RPGs. What am I?

The issue is its badly written within the context of BG, see here for better explanation
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51731/amber-scott-and-other-writers-seems-to-be-the-problem

But you are also side tracking another issue. Not everyone who have issue with SoD are homophobes or what not. Many games these days have lgbt characters and they don't get this level of hate. Yes there are homophobes who goes to attack any game which have lgbt characters but they don't get this level of publicity/attack.

The writer of this game have pissed of lot of different groups (including homophobes) for different reasons and rather than address the legitimate issues, they lump everyone into one group and call them all homophobes! This is very nasty and cheap way of getting out of their own mess. This is what pisses me off the most rather than anything else they have done.

Whoa, quite a lot of hyperbole in this thread. While being somewhat in the middle with my opinion concerning this topic, I have to say that generalizing a large group of people and dismissing their opinion as invalid (for whatever reason) makes me feel much less sympathetic toward someone's cause. And I wouldn't be surprised if that effect isn't just limited to me.

So I was reading a review on Gamestar, and they give it 58/100. This is without mentioning the transgender character or that line of Minsc with a single word in the whole review. The title is "The Baldur's Gate Forgery" :D. They withdrew 10 points for all those bugs, gave a good rating for the tactics and balance (4/5 each), a rather bad rating (2/5) for looks (blurred textures, bad UI, etc.), and absolutely trashed the story and the writing (1/5). As I said, no mention of LGBT issues or Gamergate.

It's quite refreshing to see someone focus on the bulk of the writing and not on just two snippets. Let's see whether that's an outlier.

Last edited:
I don't think you could find a definition of "upgrade" that didn't include change and improve upon. Says to me the original wasn't good enough and needed fixing. Them's fightin' words. Not really, but I didn't get a good impression from how it was stated.

The orginal Jaheira in bg1 was annoying as hell. She hardly had any personality to speak of. All I remember was her complaining about the balance and nagging Khalid :)

Only in the bg2 she actually became that likeable fiesty druid character most of us love. I really like her storyline in bg2. Which is why the bg1 mod called the npc mod tried to fix her lack of personality in bg1. This popular mod gave Jaheira (like all the npcs in bg1) similar kind of banters and dialog like in bg2. Plenty of added flavour. Without it bg1 npcs are kind of dull. Just like in the bg2, in that mod She is no longer just a nagging wife who complains about nature's balance all the time while wearing metal armor. :p

I think Beamdog looked back at bg2 and then wrote her bg sod part to be a natural fit for bg2.

So I was reading a review on Gamestar, and they give it 58/100. This is without mentioning the transgender character or that line of Minsc with a single word in the whole review. The title is "The Baldur's Gate Forgery" :D. They withdrew 10 points for all those bugs, gave a good rating for the tactics and balance (4/5 each), a rather bad rating (2/5) for looks (blurred textures, bad UI, etc.), and absolutely trashed the story and the writing (1/5). As I said, no mention of LGBT issues or Gamergate.

It's quite refreshing to see someone focus on the bulk of the writing and not on just two snippets. Let's see whether that's an outlier.

It's a lot of fuss about nothing and a case for the bargain bin then. There are so many other interesting new games coming out this year that I really don't care.

It's a lot of fuss about nothing and a case for the bargain bin then. There are so many other interesting new games coming out this year that I really don't care.
Yup. It's basically saying that you can play it if you really like IE combat and don't mind an absolutely inane, illogical story with unnecessary spoilers you will "rediscover" in BG2 and ToB. And wait for patches.

Just like any review it is an opinion of one person.
It is only worth something if you normally agree with that person about other games.

Back
Top Bottom