Skyrim - Remaster Rumored

No clue what Todd Howard said, I'm going off of what Caddy linked from Twitter. It implies that Special Edition is only free if you own Legendary Edition or if you own the base game and then go out and buy every DLC. So, Special Edition itself will never be sold on Steam, you just buy Legendary Edition (or all your missing DLC's) and then you have it?

No. My guess is they will do it like other games where you get an additional new "Skyrim Special Edition" entry in your Steam library on October 28th, i.e. they run an ownership check and if you pass it, you get an all "new" game (so people who don't want it can still play their old vanilla game and expansions which might even be required for some mods if the authors don't update them for the special ed) .
They will, however, probably replace the Legendary with the Special Edition for new buyers from that date on, yes.

No. My guess is they will do it like other games where you get an additional new "Skyrim Special Edition" entry in your Steam library on October 28th, i.e. they run an ownership check and if you pass it, you get an all "new" game (so people who don't want it can still play their old vanilla game and expansions which might even be required for some mods if the authors don't update them for the special ed) .
That's pretty much what I meant. I was talking more about means of acquisition, not how the game would appear on Steam. Makes sense I guess. I didn't realize they were just asking for more money from console players only. Hah. I guess it makes sense though, as has been discussed to death in this thread, this whole thing probably involves minimal effort as far as the PC is concerned.

Although they will probably make money from PC owners who are missing some DLC (I fall into this category...) and then have to go out and buy it in order to acquire the "Special Edition".

Well, the console releases are real re-releases and remasters. The old Skyrim was only available for Xbox 360 and PS3. The new one is for PS4 and Xbone.
Todd Howard said that PC gamers can already achieve nearly the same (or even better) quality with mods so that's why the PC version is free for owners of the game. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the price of the new special edition for new buyers will be. Where did you see the $60?

No clue what Todd Howard said, I'm going off of what Caddy linked from Twitter. It implies that Special Edition is only free if you own Legendary Edition or if you own the base game and then go out and buy every DLC. So, Special Edition itself will never be sold on Steam, you just buy Legendary Edition (or all your missing DLC's) and then you have it?

Either that or Legendary Edition will just be replaced by Special Edition.

Where did you see the $60?
On Amazon.com. But as you said, it was only for console versions. At the time, I didn't think much of that because it isn't unheard of that when a game first appears on Amazon, it's just the console versions, and PC version appears later. I'm sure you are right about how it's going to work though.

Ah OK, well, I guess it's safe to assume that it won't be $60 on the PC because that would be really weird indeed :) . The Legendary Ed. is currently selling at €36.56 ($39 in the US?) so that's probably going to be the price for new buyers of the special edition.

The Legendary Ed. is currently selling at €36.56 ($39 in the US?) so that's probably going to be the price for new buyers of the special edition.
$37-38 or something when I checked on Steam IIRC, but you can buy the Steam codes elsewhere for $15-20 atm.

Back
Top Bottom