Skyrim - Remaster Rumored

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Whispers waft through the strained corridors of the gaming press ahead of E3. Is a Skyrim remaster on the way? If it is, it may not have anything new...

Bethesda Softworks will announce a remastered version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim during their E3 2016 press conference on June 12, according to the latest internet rumors.

The rumors come from industry insider Shinobi602 and NeoGAF user Enter the Dragon Punch, both of who were part of the Kotaku-corroborated Dead Rising 4 leak earlier today.

Speaking on the latest H.A.M. Radio Podcast (59:06), Shinobi602 said, “I would expect a remaster of sorts [at Bethesda’s press conference]… for something.”

After GamePro.de went up with a story assuming it’s a Skyrim remaster, Enter the Dragon Punch added in the corresponding NeoGAF thread that “it’s real” and the remastered release will include all of the game’s downloadable content, mod support, and improved graphics.

Bethesda Softworks will host its E3 2016 press conference this Sunday, June 12 at 7:00 p.m. PDT / 10:00 p.m. EDT. Get the full E3 2016 schedule here.
More information.

So, it'll be updated to all the graphical glory of Bethesda's current state of the art, Fallout 4?

No shade intended (well, not much shade) as I like the art style of both games, but has there really been enough of an advance on the technical side of things over the past five years to make this project worthwhile?

So it will probably cost $40 with the same content & better graphics?o_O

If so count me out as I see no benefit in buying the game once again.
So…it'll play like Skyrim with mods?
Fixed it for you.
Wouldn't be the first time Bethesda stole a mod without giving credit. Just read the online EULA about Bethesda.net were they can use your mod without your consent.

Last edited:
Why not a remastered Daggerfall? That is something I'd like to see!

I'd be happy to pony up for remasters of the old titles - MW, OB etc in the latest engine. Not for the last one they released though. It hasn't had time to become dated and mods can take care of most of it for you - at least whilst they remain free.

-kwm

Mods can make Morrowind and Oblivion look wonderful, too. I recently played Oblivion in 4K resolution with many graphical mods and it was beautiful. :)

So it will probably cost $40 with the same content & better graphics?o_O

If so count me out as I see no benefit in buying the game once again.

Then we are two, Couch. There are already enough mods and ENBs settings to enhance the game's graphics.

EDIT: Also, another remake nobody is asking for. Bethesda, you better go make the Daggerfall remake Fluent is asking above! Hear the man, do it! :)

People buy Elder Scrolls games religiously anyway. What do you have to lose, Bethesda? :D

Why not a remastered Daggerfall? That is something I'd like to see!
I would like to see them redo the first two Fallout games by outsourcing the Ip to Inxile Entertainment. Wishful think I know as it will never happen in my lifetime.
People buy Elder Scrolls games religiously anyway. What do you have to lose, Bethesda? :D
Quoted for the truth as every game they release sells millions.
Then we are two, Couch. There are already enough mods and ENBs settings to enhance the game's graphics.
Well after thinking about it they probably want to target consoles with the remaster more then the PC, and will probably add Bethesda.net so console players can use mods.

Even so like I said above I'm not interested in another PC release.

Side question, but can you imagine a modern Daggerfall? What if Bethesda's next Elder Scrolls game was in the style of Daggerfall? :lol:

I know there is like, a 0.0001% chance of that ever happening, but wow. I would be very interested to see a huge game like that made with modern tech and advancements.

Bring on the 63,000 square mile map, Bethesda! :D

I'm kinda throwing shade at this because right after they released vanilla Skyrim, they released an "HD texture pack". So...better graphics anyway.

We need a remastered Skyrim like we need a treadmill on wheels.

Maybe remasters are going to get shorter and shorter apart from the initial releases. :D

Hmm, reminds me of the Jumping Jesus theory proposed by Robert Anton Wilson.

According to his research, every certain amount of years since the time of Jesus, all the known knowledge on the planet effectively doubles at some point.

The first time it doubled took over a thousand years or so. But then it started doubling faster, and faster, and faster, until he predicted we would reach a sort of space-time continuum of almost instantaneous doubling of knowledge someday.

His year predictions were a bit off, but still. :D

Tomorrow we'll hear rumors of them remastering Fallout 4 with all the latest technical advancements of the past month or two. :lol:

Tomorrow we'll hear rumors of them remastering Fallout 4 with all the latest technical advancements of the past month or two. :lol:

Disgust and utter lack of surprise would wash over me in the same wave of nausea.

I would have to wonder if a Daggerfall-style game is even possible with current modern tech. I imagine a lot of engine tweaks and new tech would have to be developed to even do it. o_O

I look at how Obsidian had so much trouble getting Pillars of Eternity rolling due to modern engines focusing entirely on 3D. Everyone just figured isometric 2D was a relic of the past and stopped developing their engines to support it.

That's kind of a sad aspect of tech advancement. Everyone discards the past and then if you wanted to actually do some new media in the vein of older tech, well, you're on your own.

At least vinyl records have survived. I want to release my next album as an 8-track, though. Or cassette. :)

I look at how Obsidian had so much trouble getting Pillars of Eternity rolling due to modern engines focusing entirely on 3D. Everyone just figured isometric 2D was a relic of the past and stopped developing their engines to support it.

That's kind of a sad aspect of tech advancement. Everyone discards the past and then if you wanted to actually do some new media in the vein of older tech, well, you're on your own.
Obsidian actually talked about this problem in the backer Pillars of Eternity documentary video. It took them days to render a single map when ever they made changes.

At least they eventually found a faster way to render 3D, and downgrade it to 2.5D.

Even if they did what I would really want which is first class support for VR, it sounds like a money grab.

I was somewhat disappointed when FO4 didn't have Oculus Rift support but wasn't really surprised. While there were workarounds for Skyrim, it wasn't the best experience possible. I'm sure they could improve it significantly by dealing with the UI as if designed for VR. That could move some units but VR also seems to be somewhat still-born at the moment as too few games support it but Skyrim should be a no-brainer for it.

It does feel a bit like some suits sat around a polished table and said "so, for next quarter, I was thinking maybe we could make everyone buy Skyrim all over again for full price. Then we can control how people play it with our new always-online racket."

"Good suggestion, Bob. That'll look good on our earnings index."

Back
Top Bottom