Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy. Discussion of ATOM team's new cRPG.

This. I think people are being too quick to assume that there's hardly going to be any magic. The impression I'm getting is that it's just going to take longer to obtain than in most typical fantasy RPGs.
I don’t think this is a bad thing if done properly.

If it scales up combat/mechanics in an interesting way it could be fun.

Closest example I can think of even though they didn’t hit it out of the park is Pathfinder: WOTR. One thing I really enjoyed about the game was the layering of mini-games as the game went on. Ie: regular battles, troop battles, kingdom management, etc.

If this game can “layer” it in the same way, it keeps the game fresh.

The devs commented on the rings/amulets thing, in the Codex thread:

Atomboy said:
Alienman said:
Just surprised there are no slots for rings. The most common fantasy trope - magical rings.
You can put amulets that don't do anything on your neck, but that's about it. We don't have magic in a way where it can enchant rings.

Maybe they're taking inspiration from Worms as well.

If you take enough levels of Medic then you can eventually throw Holy Hand Grenades.

Makes sense at the game is a low magic world where magic is almost extinct.

@purpleblob Have you heard back from them yet regarding the Beta?
Pretty sure I am not going to get access to it for whatever reason. I've seen some people with beta test tag on discord so seems like they only wanted selective few people in.

Pretty sure I am not going to get access to it for whatever reason. I've seen some people with beta test tag on discord so seems like they only wanted selective few people in.
I haven't received a response either. I guess they had more people apply than they needed.

Low-magic fantasy setting usually translates to high-boredom fantasy setting, as I can't bother to loot the 3000th armor 40 hours into the game that has equivalent stats to the armor I started the game with, but with +1 Damage Reduction vs Piercing and -1 vs Slashing. We'll see I suppose. ATOM games were decent enough to give them a chance.

Low-magic fantasy setting usually translates to high-boredom fantasy setting, as I can't bother to loot the 3000th armor 40 hours into the game that has equivalent stats to the armor I started the game with, but with +1 Damage Reduction vs Piercing and -1 vs Slashing. We'll see I suppose. ATOM games were decent enough to give them a chance.
Agreed on principle, but Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats were plenty of fun despite being low-magic. So I guess it's doable.

I'm impatiently waiting for that public demo. I don't like low fantasy as much as high fantasy but for some reason, I am hyped to try this game (and I didn't even play ATOM so no idea what their games are like)

I tend to feel that Low Magic settings get far better (and sensical) loots over high magic settings where you find a magic ring under every stones.

It's all about avoiding extremes for me. I am not playing Zoria because magic loot drops left and right and there is no joy in finding new gear, but if there is one thing worse than that, to me, is in games like the Outer Worlds where you get three thousand plain assault rifles and plain leather armors per encounter to browse through, turning into a massive waste of time and energy.

Low magic can be done right too, as others mentioned, Colony Ship or Age of Decadence do fine. Atom RPG, to me, already suffered from the "dull gear" issue, but at least it had firearms, which usually allows for more variants and spice in combat encounters than melee-only combat. This is a medieval/fantasy game, so I don't expect there will be fireguns to come to the rescue this time around.

We'll have to see, in this case. I am just a bit wary, if hopeful.

Last edited:
Nice to finally see it in action.

I think the music is probably just for the trailer. It's not great, but having shitty music in a trailer seems to be a thing lately.
Early days but yeah that music is awful. Sounds like it belongs in a Wish.com version of The Lamplighters League…

@bjon045 do you mind changing the title of this thread now that the project name has been revealed? :) You can do that by editing the original post. I think calling it "Swordhaven - Iron Conspiracy" - new cRPG from ATOM devs or something along that line will be good?

Back
Top Bottom