Torment:ToN - Review @ RPGCodex

InXile is at least attempting to offer a style of game that is mostly ignored today.

When has there ever been a purely text-based RPG genre that used to not be ignored that is somehow being ignored now? I thought choose your own adventure games were all the rage the past two years after never really existing as a genre before?

I'm not reading the review yet because I haven't started playing yet (still finishing Tyranny) ... but hearing it is a Prime Junta review? Will definitely read that one! Do people forget his awesome reviews and posts here?

I'm not reading the review yet because I haven't started playing yet (still finishing Tyranny) … but hearing it is a Prime Junta review? Will definitely read that one! Do people forget his awesome reviews and posts here?

That was before my time, but I can certainly see that he is someone who can write.

FYI, my review of the game is currently with Myrthos for final comments and editing (I can't edit my own work :) ). Hopefully it will be posted sometime this week. I liked it despite its flaws, but it definitely isn't a game for everyone!!

but hearing it is a Prime Junta review? Will definitely read that one! Do people forget his awesome reviews and posts here?
Indeed. Shame he felt so ripped off. I'm guessing he simply became too ... invested over the years so that disappointment weighs higher than average. I started playing two days ago and find the game quite fascinating. In a grander context I can certainly see where PJ's criticism comes from. In a smaller one, not as much. So the game isn't a Second Coming. Pity, that. I'm still enjoying myself.

RPGCodex is like the group of old men that gather at our local diner in a small town in the middle of nowhere America. They talk politics and judge and critique everything with almost no ability to actually change, produce or do anything except bitch.

It gets tiresome to hear self-proclaimed 'experts' offer such vitriolic "reviews" when InXile is at least attempting to offer a style of game that is mostly ignored today.

Reviews are fine when offered with some humility, spewed hate from some internet troll-site (RPGCodex) not so much.
I won't comment on the review itself since I haven't played the game yet, but the fact is that the author of the review, Prime Junta, has 8540 posts here on RPGWatch and 3108 posts on RPGCodex. It is more of a review by a Watcher than it is a review by a Codexer :lol:

Did someone upset him, and he defected?

Metacritic score of 83.

Gamerankings score of 83.

Who the f##k cares for STEAM reviews? According to that No Man's sky is the worst game of all time...

Also, Prime Junta has been through the game twice AFAIK, and replayability was supposed to be a strong factor in both why the game is so short and why there's so much hidden text; the thing that supposedly stops it being a visual novel and what makes it more of a choose your own adventure come RPG.

I think this aspect helped tarnish his view of the game because of the way the game utilises group stats in conversations, in that whatever character you choose, what's available in conversations is still the same because your companions pick up any slack anyway and there's a difference between forcing yourself to choose different paths and not having paths open to you in the first place.

I can see why people who like nothing more than weird+text would enjoy a run of this game and how any experience in this format, from "it was ok" to "I loved this" could result from just going through the motions of the 'game'(?) once, but, the main selling point of this format is to have a different experience upon replay, that's what justifies shortening the length in favour of supposed depth.

From what I'm seeing and from Junta's review, everyone is having a fairly similar experience and not too many people are rushing to replay for alternative paths. And, to be fair, if you want a quick narrative game there's lots of choice out there (if you'll excuse the pun), all of which was made for a lot less money and also charges you less at the gate. (Some examples being Tyranny, Driftmoon, Age of Decadence and the upcoming No True With The Furies, just a few off the top of my head).

It would be great if someone on the watch currently in the "I love" category could have a second game where they try their best to have a different experience and see what changes become evident, that's an area that's surprisingly lacking from any of the positive-minded sources so far and where Junta has a big one-up in authority.

Will your review include multiple play-troughs Corwin? Or is it just from the once-off?

Pretty harsh review there. I think it boils down to expectations. Mine were lowered several times during development, so I wasn't expecting a game that was actually going to rival PST.

All in all, I still feel ToN is a good game. Enjoyable. They probably should have gone for RTwP combat though, making it possible to simply burn through the fights, as some of them are really, really tedious.

Will your review include multiple play-troughs Corwin? Or is it just from the once-off?

I hope for a review where the author tried to make success as much as possible then replayed only to fail as much as possible and then compared playthroughs.

Hmmm, makes me think that the original Planescape was also a bomb when it came out.

-Baldur fans complained about its weirdness,
-RPG fans complained about its adventure style gameplay,
-contemporary gamers complained about its last-gen, text heavy presentation.

Well, based on the Codex review, Torment accomplished the same with flying colors.

I didn't complain. In fact I replayed it like crazy with different stats and role as dialogues weren't all the same each time for whatever reason. The hardest thing was to keep TNO lawful.

I didn't complain. In fact I replayed it like crazy with different stats and role as dialogues weren't all the same each time for whatever reason. The hardest thing was to keep TNO lawful.

I've played it once (got lucky, reached the best ending on first try) -- however, putting nostalgia aside, I have enjoyed the semi-official book much more than the game.

FYI, the book was the transcript of the game text with a minimal amount of extra descriptive text added. Weird, but works!

Hmmm, makes me think that the original Planescape was also a bomb when it came out.

-Baldur fans complained about its weirdness,
-RPG fans complained about its adventure style gameplay,
-contemporary gamers complained about its last-gen, text heavy presentation.

Well, based on the Codex review, Torment accomplished the same with flying colors.

Tastes vary. I'm not a fan of the original PS:T game, for example. Tried it three times.

My review is based on only one play-through. At my age, I don't have time for two!! :) While different ways of playing would certainly alter a number of the side quests and your 'endings' would differ, I think the main quest would remain fairly much the same, except for how you might choose to go during the end-game. Obviously, there would be several differences in your dialogue options!!

RPGCodex is like the group of old men that gather at our local diner in a small town in the middle of nowhere America. They talk politics and judge and critique everything with almost no ability to actually change, produce or do anything except bitch.

It gets tiresome to hear self-proclaimed 'experts' offer such vitriolic "reviews" when InXile is at least attempting to offer a style of game that is mostly ignored today.

Reviews are fine when offered with some humility, spewed hate from some internet troll-site (RPGCodex) not so much.

The opposite I think. They act like 12 year olds and think only their opinion matters, so I think they come large city.

I'm not reading the review yet because I haven't started playing yet (still finishing Tyranny) … but hearing it is a Prime Junta review? Will definitely read that one! Do people forget his awesome reviews and posts here?

I do recall the spewing and trolling from him and his constant posting in the P&R forum. I also remember the post where he called me sanctimonious :). I'm not unhappy people like that are gone.

Did someone upset him, and he defected?

I couldn't tell. I think he got burnt out or something so I was surprised he still hangs out at the codex. Unlike some others, he wrote a goodbye post saying that the P&R forum was fun and that's about it. I was pretty happy that I didn't have to see the P&R page on the front everytime after he was gone.

Metacritic score of 83.

Gamerankings score of 83.

Who the f##k cares for STEAM reviews? According to that No Man's sky is the worst game of all time…

Well, No Man's Sky sucks hard, so your point is not really valid. Metacritic is less trustworthy than Steam by miles...

Back
Top Bottom