What is your favorite tv show(s)?

Most shows are only average. Classics are the exception. Current stuff I really like:

The Sopranos
The Shield
Battlestar Galactica

Especially the SciFi genre produced lots of classics. Most have been mentioned. I liked especially Babylon 5 and DS9 since season 3.

A couple of British shows which should be mentioned because their qualities are beyond doubt:

The Avengers (The first Emma Peel season will be released on DVD soon in Germany! :) )
The Prisoner (Hard to describe, but a very important show.)
The Professionals (Hands down the best cop show ever. Period.)
Coupling ("Only" very good. Not a classic yet.)
Black Adder
Return to Treasure Island (With the great Brian Blessed as Long John Silver.)
Robin of Sherwood (Both down to earth and mixed with fantasy elements. Excellent.)
The Tripods (They'll ruin this in cinema this year!)

Great mini series are legion. They deserve their own thread IMHO.

The X-Files.
The Shield.

I'm not a huge TV fan, so that's about it. Those were the ones I actually bothered
to watch completely. Those were the ones that gave me this empty/melancholic feeling when they ended - like after having read an excellent book or playing through something like Torment. I'm thinking about checking out the Sarah Connor Chronicle thing tho, I find the terminator mythology quite interesting.

I tried watching the pilot episode of the new "scifi" (yeah, right) series called the Fringe or something like that - it was so bad... so terribly bad that I couldn't even watch it completely.

Season 4 is already out and on dvd isn't it?

Btw - don't buy it, there's only 10 episodes or something stupid because of the writers strike.

The other 10 episodes will air starting with the 16th of January. And I believe I've read that they will have a longer running time than the standard episodes.

EDIT: I tend to only acquire shows when they are available on DVD, as I always forget episodes while they are on the air... So my suggestions are with one exception all quite old.

Blackadder is superb, but one should take one season at a time with some interval in between or the recycling of jokes gets a bit annoying.

Seinfeld is my all time favourite, used to tape every episode (it was on daily) during my student days and watch as dinner TV. Monty Python's flying circus is another classic but a bit old. The full set on DVD isnt that expensive.

Non-comedy favourites are Rome and the Tudors (the first season is too drawn out, but season 2 has a better pace). Tudors should have a few more seasons in the work:)

But for anything with a storyline I find that the mini-series format is much preferrable, you get a better pace and avoid the repetition of longer series while still leaving room for more meat than a movie. House of Cards, a superb British show about shady politics, is probably my favourite. And since this is a forum that is likely to have a few Dune fans I'd also recommend Children of Dune which isnt too shabby.

Last edited:
Normally not a tv watcher but due to female partner in life now Ive been watching if anything HGTV (home and garden tv) programs w/ my fiancee over dinner like "my house is worth what" and "designed to sell", stuff like that. Home renovation programs, reality tv-like shows where people are buying a home and you have to guess which one theyre going w/ out of three...

Perhaps a sign of things to come! ='.'=

Well well. There was a very good offer on the first season (including the mini-series) of Battlestar Galactica at a local store. The whole box was for 16euros. So, partly due to the high praise the show has received from the various posters at these boards, I decided to check it out and i bought it. A friend of mine once said that while he hates star trek and starwars an all that crap just like me, he loves BSG. So maybe there is a chance.

But if I ended up spending 16euros and not liking it... my revenge shall be harsh and cruel! Muahahahahahah!!!

I recently got addicted to the Sarah Connor Chronicles - in a way it's just a silly american tv show, but it's still quite loyal to the wonderfull terminator mythology and for some reason I have been enjoying it immensely (the pilot was pretty mediocre, but after that it gets really good). And I can't wait for the new season so I need another scifi series fix.

Oh, and btw, The Sarah Connor Chronicles is my alltime favourite TV-show now. It's very good.

Well well. There was a very good offer on the first season (including the mini-series) of Battlestar Galactica at a local store. The whole box was for 16euros. So, partly due to the high praise the show has received from the various posters at these boards, I decided to check it out and i bought it. A friend of mine once said that while he hates star trek and starwars an all that crap just like me, he loves BSG. So maybe there is a chance..

BSG is THE BEST Sci-Fi show on television right now. Post back after you watch the mini-series and let us know what you think.

BSG is A class scifi. Very few scifi series reach that level (thers nothing better). Most scifi series are B/C at best i.e star trek or atlantis. Sarah connor might be A too - its kind of unique.

The only problem i have with SCC is the skinny female terminator. Her arms and legs are like twigs but she kicks around big terminators and gets thrown into walls/metal pipes and even through windows many floors down on to a metal roof and get only few scrathes. Also sarah and the others move her around like she weights nothing.

I like the black comedy + violent world of mobster + adult-drama series "The Sopranos", and it is my all-time favorite tv show. The "Lost" also intriguing, but slowly after second season the mysterious cult, the strange black smoke, and other series of unusual series of event felt forced along with the plot development. I am not sure would keep following into third and fourth seasons.
<snip>

Don't give up on Lost. 2nd season was 'meh', but 3rd and 4th are awesome, and I believe it all ends this 5th season (as planned).

Currently my favorite shows are Chuck and Heroes (yes, I still like Heroes). I'm also watching 'Fringe' and 'Life on Mars', which are ok. I still watch South Park which hasn't lost its charm imho.
I'm curious about a new series in comedy central, a medieval fantasy comedy, something like 'The sword of something'. Starts in April.

Nope. 1 more season of Lost after this year's.

I am a huge nerd in my TV watching:

Lost
BattleStar Galactica
Stargate Atlantis (well not anymore I guess. I just started watching the DVD's a few months ago and had caught up to the broadcast for what turned out to be the series finale)
Madmen

I still watch Law & Order and Law & Order SVU, but it's more because my wife still like them, I'm pretty 'meh' about them at this point.

I like CSI, but now that half the cast has left in the span of half a season, not sure it will hold my interest.

I'm 50/50 on the office. Some days I love it, some days I can't bear to watch it due to Michael.

I'm 50/50 on the office. Some days I love it, some days I can't bear to watch it due to Michael.

Yeah Michael is a very interesting character to say the least. :p Sometimes he comes off as a good guy, but most of the time he's a total jerk and disrespectful of people's feelings. I'm always amazed how he manages to make every pitiful situation even worse by trying to be cool about it. :p But I'm 100% behind the show. Dwight alone is reason enough to watch it. He's awesome and he also likes Lost, 24, Battlestar Galactica, etc. :p

He is just too embarrassing to watch.

The Prisoner creator / star Patrick McGoohan (Braveheart, Escape from Alcatraz) died two days ago.
A remake is in the works. People from the US can watch the whole original series for free on AMC TV.

BSG is THE BEST Sci-Fi show on television right now. Post back after you watch the mini-series and let us know what you think.

Well well well. I watched the mini-series. Was pretty impressed. You (and they) were right. This is the good stuff. It has none of the silliness, ridiculousness and plain old crappiness of other thematically similar shows (star[trek/gate/wars], babylon 5 etc..).
Happy I checked it out. Hopefully the show itself after the miniseries keeps up the good work. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom