What is your favorite tv show(s)?

Hi all!

My favorite show that I'm watching over again is The Wire. Best drama I've ever seen. For people who are cynical and hate CSI, you should really check it out.

Also, I'm obsessed with Survivorman and, to a lesser extent, Man vs. Wild.

We have a family tradition of Ghost Whisperer on Friday nights ... but with the plotline this season (Jim is dead, his spirit went into anothe person just as they died) is just too lame ... we're all losing interest *fast*.

I watched a couple of season 1 episodes of the series itself (BSG). Really liking this stuff.
This'll do as my series fix while I wait for the new Terminator: Sarah Connor chronicles episodes.

Then you have something to look forward to. Seasons 3 and 4 are even better, even though the events sometimes seem a bit random. ;)

I was kinda intrigued by the survivorman/man vs wild thing at first, but after a few episodes I started feeling like it was the equivalent of one of those 'jackass' type shows where those idiots inflict pain on themselves for fun while all the rest of the mooks sit around laughing their heads off. Funny for like a minute.

You know, it's an hour of some guy eating bugs and other gross entrees, going thru all kinds of painful stuff, drinking his own piss, etx. Starts feeling less like an adventure/survival program and more like another kinda shock show, find myself saying "you know man, you need a new freakin hobby...". The fact there's a cameraman and probably helicopter and whole crew right there the entire time too kinda takes the edge off the whole thing as well.

I was kinda intrigued by the survivorman/man vs wild thing at first, but after a few episodes I started feeling like it was the equivalent of one of those 'jackass' type shows where those idiots inflict pain on themselves for fun while all the rest of the mooks sit around laughing their heads off. Funny for like a minute.

I have never felt that those are the sort sof shows meant to be viewed as a series - sort of like Mythbusters ... they are fun occasionally, but if your kids get you hooked into watching it for hours on end during a 'marathon' you'll never want to watch again ...

I am surprised, that not everyone said:

"The Simpsons"

I have seen close to all episodes multiple times, and I am working on my complete collectors edition set! Granted the later seasons has decreased a bit in quality. But it is still the best 20 years of awesomeness.

I found new things in some episodes after having seen them 4 or 5 times.

"The Simpsons"
Yes, of course, but when it comes to animated series, especially Animes, there's so much it would probably deserve it's own thread. ;) But if you mention the Simpsons, you have to mention Futurama too!

BSG is A class scifi. Very few scifi series reach that level (thers nothing better). Most scifi series are B/C at best i.e star trek or atlantis. Sarah connor might be A too - its kind of unique.
To be fair though, BSG and Sarah Connor Chronicles have a very different focus compared to shows like Babylon 5, Star Trek etc. Sarah Connor is, despite featuring some machines, a very much down to earth drama.

And BSG is more of a character study than anything else, although it does have incredible space battles and mythological (or biblical) references to top it of. It's the combination of all those that make it so good. In retrospect, BSG reminded me a lot of Infinite Ryvius, a complex sci-fi anime series in which 500 kids find themselves stranded on a space ship after an accident. Strong focus on characters and their development, many allegories, lots of parallels to Lord of the Flies in that the show reflects a micro cosmos of society.

Last edited:
When it comes to TV, im quite predictable. I watch Daily Show with John Stewart, Real Time with Bill Maher and the Atheist Experience. I watch it all online and I do not watch TV at all beyond that.

Top Chef
Man vs. Wild (boo Sammy!)
Friday Night Fights
Ultimate Fighting (any)

In retrospect, BSG reminded me a lot of Infinite Ryvius, a complex sci-fi anime series in which 500 kids find themselves stranded on a space ship after an accident. Strong focus on characters and their development, many allegories, lots of parallels to Lord of the Flies in that the show reflects a micro cosmos of society.

I dont really watch anime so BSG is best there is (before that it was B5). I watched countless other scifi series and often most of them are more like comedy than serious scifi. In the past quality has been very low when it comes to scifi with cheap costumes and ridiculous plot lines. Atlantis had a good episode seasons back that reflected nicely what is wrong with scifi series. That show has always laughed at itself though.

I just finished watching Six Feet Under. I loved the way the series ended. One of the best drama series imo. Loved it. :)

The ending was sublime, it's hard to finish a series that long without it just petering out half heartedly but that ending really captured the whole essence of five series beautifully.

Absolutely fantastic series all the way through really, HBO do make some superb dramas.

The ending was sublime, it's hard to finish a series that long without it just petering out half heartedly but that ending really captured the whole essence of five series beautifully.
Yeah, it was. They kept it simple and beautiful. And the ending song was a good choice.
Absolutely fantastic series all the way through really, HBO do make some superb dramas.

Yeah, really fantastic. And it touched on so many issues of society. And it did that while also being really heart-touching. I can't remember a tv series that brought me to tears as often as this one. Alan Ball did a great job with it. I'm really curious about True Blood, another drama series created by Alan Ball for HBO.

Last edited:
I can't remember a tv series that brought me to tears as often as this one.

That episode where david gets kidnapped was pretty powerful stuff as well, when it ended I realised I was shaking, very rare to get that kind of reaction from tv or films.

I think tv is really maturing as a medium, there's some superb stuff being made, and a lot of writers are really using the timescales of a long running tv series to bring real depth to their work. By comparison I think movies are largely stagnating, but then I hardly watch that many.

Not heard of true blood, will be keeping my eye out for that now, he's definitely earned my full attention :)

That episode where david gets kidnapped was pretty powerful stuff as well, when it ended I realised I was shaking, very rare to get that kind of reaction from tv or films.

Yeah that was a great one. David is my favorite character I think. Billy was also kinda cool. In a weird way. :p The episode in the beginning series where Billy calls Nate under the pretense of someone having a body to dispose of, and puts pictures of Claire on the walls and jumps at Nate from under the "blood-stained" sheets really emphasized how sick Billy was.
I think tv is really maturing as a medium, there's some superb stuff being made, and a lot of writers are really using the timescales of a long running tv series to bring real depth to their work. By comparison I think movies are largely stagnating, but then I hardly watch that many.
Yeah, TV is definitely getting better and better.

Hmm, just noticed this on Alan Ball's wiki page.
Wikipedia said:
Personal Life
Alan Ball is openly gay and has been called "a strong voice for our LGBT community."
I guess that's why the show has such a strong message with regards to homosexual relations and tries to educate against discrimination.

In my mind, Twin Peaks is the pinnacle of TV productions, but I might be biased. :) I also like detective series ala Poirot, Wire in the blood, Inspector Morse (my friends tease me for Poirot).

Now I'm watching Cosmos, an 80s documentary series on science (with emphasis on history, biology and interstellar space). It's quite unique and definitely becoming a favourite.

well, I watch the new series of doctor who because I'm curious what happens to characters and universe but I prefer the original series and format. just recently watched the invasion with patrick troughton for the first time with the animated episodes. was real nice. too bad the animation wasn't cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom