BG3 Baldur's Gate 3 News Thread

Baldur's gate 3
The cast from BG3 played a session of DnD using the characters they lend their voices to in the game. I think the result is pretty incredible but judge for yourself. As a DnD player myself, I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Great idea Larian had. I'm only missing Amelia Tyler but I don't suppose she's a DM. ;)
She came in briefly at 5:20 to narrate the setting.

Fun session. :) It's so strange "seeing" the voices.

Whoever has been in charge of marketing ever since it launched on EA deserves a raise and promotion. Amazing how they outclass most large studios with hype and expectation.

After finding that video, I've been digging around for some interviews with the voice actors, they're all pretty funny and nice people in general it seems, but most of them you can tell when they are voice acting. However, Jennifer English sounds pretty much exactly like Shadowheart even when talking normally.

It must be pretty funny for people at the studio to be walking around the office and suddenly hear Shadowheart talking about how hot the coffee is or the phone being out of battery.

This one in particular made me laugh:

The second espisode is out, in my opinion, even more fun than the first one, as some of the players are more warmed up into the whole thing (some of them were playing DnD for the first time)

Also, I just received today my Collector's Edition package. It's huge and it didn't disappoint, the artbook in particular is nuts, best one I've ever had, and I've been collecting stuff like this for over 20 years.

The statue is good. I won't say great, but it's nice to have. The dice is amazing but I don't think I could use it in a real game, it's huge and seems to be made of pure steel, it barely rolls and if I was to throw that on a desk, it'd likely dent it permanently. Makes sense as an ornament, though.

There were some magic cards, I've been out of that game for decades, but I spotted a couple of valuable ones checking online listings, Particularly Battle Angels of Tyr foil, worth about $30. I just don't know what to do with them.

The cloth map is nice, I have a collection of those too, nice to have, nothing unseen before. The last item if I have not missed any is the tadpole keychain/pendant - it seems low quality and it's very heavy, probably the least valuable item of them all, though it doesn't take any space so I'll keep it around somewhere.

In general, pretty pleased with the whole thing.

Nice! I thought they had all already been shipped long ago.

I'm not really into those things, except maybe books, but I admit that when I saw it in their Panel from Hell, it looked very appealing.

Perhaps the die can be used for self-defense? ;)

Nice, still haven't received mine yet. Was expecting the statue to be pretty great, as the one from D:OS2 was. Including MtG cards was just dumb, but I guess that's a WotC thing.

Baldur's Gate 3 still dominates Steam charts months after launch

Baldur’s Gate 3 peaked at nearly one million players, charting an official 875,343 concurrent players courtesy of Steam charts. But, with such a dramatic high, fans are even more impressed that BG3 has managed to hold players’ hype and not dip in player count, with 300k players nearly two months after its release.

It is quite a feat for such a game.
I hope it inspires more games of this kind and budget..
Me as well but try to release some more RTwP RPGs as well. Josh Sawyer has been hinting he's willing to do Pillars of Eternity 3 now if Microsoft gives them a larger budget.
Cyberpunk has overtaken them, now (along with some EA Sport thing), except in Belgium.
Not surprised it sold well given it's botched release. Old and new players are helping as well. Well deserved as it took three years to finish it were it should have released.

Now the team is moving on to Project Orion the sequel and Witcher 4.

Concurrent players doesn't mean much to me, it is sales that matter and BG3 hasn't been in the global sales top spot for quite some time. It has however been in the top 8 consistently since release and the only game that seems to regularly beat it is CP2077 (and now it's expansion). Other titles have often grabbed the top spot for a short duration though. Starfield is a bit further down the list but I would bet the main reason for that is the current price in many regions (30% more in my region).

I'm seeing no sign of the buzz for BG3 dying down yet and I agree with Couchpotato that they have done a masterful job in the marketing department. They haven't even had to do things like free DLC, discuss expansions or even a 10% sale yet to maintain the buzz so they have plenty of tools left in the chest. I imagine a sale could be a full year after release with the current sales level. Getting as many full price sales as possible can only be a good thing for their bottom line.

if we omit Counter-Strike and the EA stuff, BG3 has been at the top the Steam sales list for a while, except when Starfield took its place, but it recovered 2 weeks after.

CP2077 only got back up there 2 weeks ago, thanks to 2.0 and its DLC; before that it was in the 20s (which isn't bad). The DLC is above BG3 too now, despite being half the price, but BG3 has been out for a long time after all.

It would be more interesting to see actual unit sales numbers than those approximate charts though.

CP2077 only got back up there 2 weeks ago, thanks to 2.0 and its DLC; before that it was in the 20s (which isn't bad). The DLC is above BG3 too now, despite being half the price, but BG3 has been out for a long time after all.
BG3 has only been out for 2 months. I'm more impressed by CP2077's resurgence considering it's nearly 3 years old.

BG3 has only been out for 2 months. I'm more impressed by CP2077's resurgence considering it's nearly 3 years old.
Agreed, it's rather impressive. Even before the DLC, it seems that every time it's on sales, it gets back up in the top 25 or so. Sure, it's an opportunity to buy it, but still. And it's a 50% discount now, so it's half the normal revenue (Steam sorts by revenue, not the number of units).

Back
Top Bottom