BG3: Your race/class?

Thanks for the reply. It would really make sense to have higher strengh and strengh based skills for the sake of the character background, but I think it doesn't help mechanically due to the big investment required in wisdom unfortunately. Unless I opt to create more a barbarian with a hint of monk, which was not my initial idea. I'll read up your link and see if it can work, thanks! :)

I decided to be a wood elf for the the stealth / perception proficiencies, and the extra distance (even if there's shadow step at level 6). It also gives a proficiency with bows, which I like. Maybe something to consider, but perhaps a human gives you more flexibility with the skills, and you don't need stealth.
Although it might make sense mechanicaly I have in my mind a more bulky type so I think I will stick to human, but I will tinker around with the races and editor and if I see a look that I like and matches what I have in my mind I will choose that :)

If you prefer persuasion to intimidation, you could choose Guild Artisan to get a proficiency in insight & persuasion, unless you want animal handling. That would leave you one extra base skill, and one skill with proficiency.
I don't see my arena fighter as much of an artisan really. Unless you count breaking necks as a fine craftmanship :p

I have no idea for barbarian. Perhaps after the boost, at level 5?
That's what I was thinking too, it makes sense. Thanks :)

Although it might make sense mechanicaly I have in my mind a more bulky type so I think I will stick to human, but I will tinker around with the races and editor and if I see a look that I like and matches what I have in my mind I will choose that :)
That's exactly the doubt I had about the elf, just for the sake of roleplay. Yes, you're right, there's no need to min-max in this game.

For my part, I'll keep the elf because it also fits the ninja theme. That's why I want a bow - it's for the bigger game.

I don't see my arena fighter as much of an artisan really. Unless you count breaking necks as a fine craftmanship :p
Kung-fu is an art. A martial art. You'd better subscribe to the guild, or they'll probably come down on you.

Seriously though, it's only the background so I think you can pick whatever fits your story and/or the skills you would like to gain. You may still be a folk hero, or it may be in your past. At least, it's how I see it.

Dammit. They still haven't added the Hermit background back in. Sad panda.

Also, a wonderful character creator that you can spend hours in - and no way to export/import your creations. Whaaa....? Seems like a major oversight.

Other than that, I'll be enjoying character creation until Monday, when it's multiplayer time for me.

Last edited:
2023-08-05_1256_1.jpg

I'm still living in the character creation screen. Decided to switch from Wood Elf to Forest Gnome for various reasons. He's an oddball even among his own people, who are shy to begin with. Contemplative, doesn't care much about his appearance, is a bit of a loner, but good with animals. He has a good heart, is compassionate for others who are suffering, but generally tries to stay out of trouble. Easily swayed which, after some mishaps in his life, made him distrustful. A chance meeting one day during mushroom foraging with a good-natured and talkative Barbarian who thinks himself a Knight (my multiplayer buddy, come Monday) piqued his slumbering curiosity and made him join up and venture forth into the unknown.

I got lost in the CC myself. I am down to just three choices though.

Keth Wolfheart - Half-Elf Drow Ranger (current favorite)

Jonathan Wolf - Drow Rogue (also a current favorite)

Wulver Blackfur - Tiefling Warlock (Archfey)

@wolfgrimdark I like the top one! Great beard, too. Mine always look tacked on for some reason.

Spent some more time in the character editor and remade my Solasta characters, for when I'll eventually play the game with a full custom party. Basically my standard LMK-P party: Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric.

Kyle.jpgLauriel.jpgMistral.jpgAileya.jpg

Attachments

• Mistral.png
    Mistral.png
    802.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Lauriel.png
    Lauriel.png
    694.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Kyle.png
    Kyle.png
    500.5 KB · Views: 1
A great line up @Arhu with some nice variety in looks! I think its great when people are invested in their characters.

I'll add pictures tomorrow but I made a Tiefling Warlock.
He is an acolyte and all he really wanted was to help people and he thought joining the priesthood would help him achieve that but he got the wrong god speaking to him. One of the great old ones.

So he's now also fighting the pressures of a mind flayer as well as the great old one at the same time.

My goal is to have him start out wanting to help everyone and everything, then slowly realising it's not always possible and going mad from despair he will try to gain more and more power at the expense of others but in the name of helping the greater good.

Protip that tadpole in your head might not be a bad thing, and with the guardian mechanic it's hard to tell if you should avoid getting stronger with the illithid powers.

My Paladin is having quite a few moral choices turning out to be grey.

I'm interested in seeing what is your player characters destiny.

Protip that tadpole in your head might not be a bad thing, and with the guardian mechanic it's hard to tell if you should avoid getting stronger with the illithid powers.

My Paladin is having quite a few moral choices turning out to be grey.

I'm interested in seeing what is your player characters destiny.
You may only find out in 2025 :)

Very limited playtime at the moment. I'll only get 2 or 3 hours a week on this game.

I was going to play as a Wizard but I ended up playing as a Gnome Sorc with a gold dragon bloodline. I saw that Gale was a Wizard so decided to go Sorc to have some variety.

I've never played a 5E sorc before but when I got to a decent level (8+) they are pretty darn powerful. Getting a bunch of Sorcery points just makes them so flexible.

Last edited:
Human male Paladin - it's hard to do only good things in this game...

Here he is.
I don't know how to take good screenshots out of dialogue. Any suggestions ?
Hit F10 to hide the UI. :)

Otherwise, I miss a good character window; I think the only way to get a good view of the character is in the character creator, so either when creating it for the first time or when levelling up.

If you want to unlock the camera for screens you need a tool, like this one (although it's behind a patron pay wall - I use it but Otis is one of the better developers for these things): https://opm.fransbouma.com/Cameras/bg3.htm
It looks pretty nice!

I have the impression the details and the rendering are not as good in the game as in the character creator, though.

Last edited:
I went with a Drow Sorceress for one playthrough, and occasionally alternate with a wood elf Ranger. Trying not to do my usual with these types of games and experiment with the different classes/races first, and actually just play.

Lack of time has kept me from getting too far, plus a couple of bugs that have been recurring. Plus I'm not dropping my Might and Magic 6 run, so I'm playing two long-term games at once.

Two in-game shots of my Gnome Druid. I love his idle pose. Looks a bit like Peter Pan.

2023-08-12_2008_1.jpg
2023-08-12_2007_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom