Biowear blames rival, rpgcodex.net for bad ratings

Does Biowear make good games?

• Total voters
Thanks, those all sound pretty solid. I actually forgot about the bobbleheads...I remember ignoring them on purpose whenever I found them in order to skip the hollow bonuses they gave. Who thought that a free skill boost was a good reward for just finding a toy?

Have you ever really tried to play FO3? Or did you just play the vanilla version for awhile and dismiss it?
I've played it from start to end, and I must say that I didn't like it much at all. So I do believe I know what I'm talking about when I say that the game is mediocre and even less enjoyable if you liked the previous games.
Out of the box, it sucks. I used a few choice mods to increase realism, and to greatly increase the difficulty, and I found it to be a very immersive experience. I've played through every Fallout game except New Vegas, and I spent the most time with FO3.
So you're saying that it is fun with mods? Then I don't disagree with you, I wouldn't say that it is a good game because of mods though. When I judge games I only go on the out of the box experience, any other way would be foolish. Sure some games can be made more enjoyable by mods and other additional content, but is the vanilla content better because of that? No, I don't think so.
With that said I don't think that our opinion of the game itself differs that much.
I've only played Oblivion for a few hours, and it didn't do anything for me. That was completely vanilla though, and I plan on going back someday with mods.
If you ever do so I recommend the mod Nehrim, it's a total conversation with a entirely new gameworld. The voiceacting is in german, but if you can deal with that I'm pretty sure that you'll find it a very good mod.
bro i cannopt 'capslock' for 1 raisins

1 - site not aloow

BUT I CAN BYPAS BY COLOURING THE TEXT

IM A BLOODY FAIRY
I didn't know that. Keep up the good work, SAGO. :harl:

I've played it from start to end, and I must say that I didn't like it much at all. So I do believe I know what I'm talking about when I say that the game is mediocre and even less enjoyable if you liked the previous games.

Just because it wasn't a good game to "you", doesn't mean "we" who liked the previous games did not like it. To "you" it was mediocre, to others it wasn't.

I played all the fallout games, Sooooo....I do believe I know what I'm talking about;)

Just because it wasn't a good game to "you", doesn't mean "we" who liked the previous games did not like it. To "you" it was mediocre, to others it wasn't.

I played all the fallout games, Sooooo….I do believe I know what I'm talking about;)
I'm merely saying that I didn't just play the game for 5 minutes before uninstalling it and never playing it again.
You seem to be of the opinion that I can't have my own opinion of the game. That's bullshit, I thought the game was mediocre and if you didn't good for you I guess. If one is never to discuss opinions what then is there left to discuss?
The empty gameworld, shallow use of stats, dull NPCs, absolute failure of using the lore, dated graphics, quasi turn-based combat and uninspired plot are all things that contributed to my feelings about the game.

Perhaps you liked the previous games of a different reason than I did, then so be it. You might like Alien Resurrection better than the first movie, I don't care much if that's the case. However I would be interested to know why you liked it more, and perhaps if there are things I didn't think of rethink my opinion of it. If not that perhaps just hear what someone else thought about it.
If you can not see why some might be disappointed of a sequel that haves little to do with the previous games beyond the name that's your problem.

Yeah, the "but it´s your opinion" mantra is one of the laziest, most redundant and utterly useless responses that mar discussion forums.

Last edited:
The empty gameworld, shallow use of stats, dull NPCs, absolute failure of using the lore, dated graphics, quasi turn-based combat and uninspired plot are all things that contributed to my feelings about the game.

My only problems with FO3 were with how quickly you accrued experience, the numerous bobbleheads and skillbooks that made specializing or making any real choices in character direction meaningless, and how lopsidedly easy the combat became. I never had a problem with the graphics, other than the fact it was the Oblivion engine, which I knew was going to look ugly, so no big heartbreak there. Your other points, however, I don't see the same way you do. I explored nearly every square inch of the maps, because they were absolutely chock full of interesting things to see and do. I thought the lore was different than the first two games, but it stands to reason, since it's on the opposite coast of the US, and I didn't think they skimped on it in the least. The plot, while not the most original in the world, was adequate enough to provide a sense of direction and overall tone for the Capitol Wasteland, and the various personalities within it were no better - nor worse - written and depicted than FO1 or 2. Honestly, FO3 was a refreshing step back to what made RPGs great, especially when viewed against other games made that year. Weapon and armor degradation and repair, dialogue that was actually dependent on your traits and skills, a plethora of interesting quests that had nothing at all to do with the main quest...

What was it, in particular, that you didn't like?

I'm merely saying that I didn't just play the game for 5 minutes before uninstalling it and never playing it again.
You seem to be of the opinion that I can't have my own opinion of the game. That's bullshit, I thought the game was mediocre and if you didn't good for you I guess. If one is never to discuss opinions what then is there left to discuss?

Perhaps you liked the previous games of a different reason than I did, then so be it. You might like Alien Resurrection better than the first movie, I don't care much if that's the case. However I would be interested to know why you liked it more, and perhaps if there are things I didn't think of rethink my opinion of it. If not that perhaps just hear what someone else thought about it.
If you can not see why some might be disappointed of a sequel that haves little to do with the previous games beyond the name that's your problem.

You misunderstood what I was saying, I meant that your opinion, and like it or not that is what it is, is what you believe. You can have your own, but doesn't mean that the rest of us don't have different opinions. You guess I can have my opinion thats what I was saying, if anything you seem to be of the opinion I can't have my opinion of the game. Seems you speak of opinions and believe they are fine as long as they agree with you.

I liked fallout 3 for its immersion which I think trumped any of the previous games due to feeling like the wasteland was there, right in front of you. When you came out of that bunker it was insane.

Considering how long FO3 is, I find it a bit odd that you played it to completion if you disliked it so much. Not saying I don't believe you.. because I do. Personally, I just don't force myself to finish games I'm not enjoying.

When I judge games I only go on the out of the box experience, any other way would be foolish. Sure some games can be made more enjoyable by mods and other additional content, but is the vanilla content better because of that? No, I don't think so.

Is anyone here claiming the vanilla game is better because of mods? That obviously wouldn't make sense.

Considering how long FO3 is, I find it a bit odd that you played it to completion if you disliked it so much. Not saying I don't believe you.. because I do. Personally, I just don't force myself to finish games I'm not enjoying.

Is anyone here claiming the vanilla game is better because of mods? That obviously wouldn't make sense.

because jack is a tru bro, he plays games even if he hates them.

im sure you said fo3 was a p.cool game.

The empty game world, shallow use of stats, dull NPCs, absolute failure of using the lore, dated graphics, quasi turn-based combat and uninspired plot are all things that contributed to my feelings about the game.

Your not alone in your view its the same problem every game that Bethesda makes. They can craft good environments and immerse you in the world but cant do npc's or quests in general.

Seriously would it hurt them to hire a better writing staff. Obsidian put them to shame. As for the mods it seems they fix every game they release it almost laughable. Feel sorry if you only play the vanilla version on consoles.

Im not saying there games are terrible but suffer from the same problems. In not believing any of the pregame Skyrim hype as its Bethesda cons and pros and everything.

My only problems with FO3 were with how quickly you accrued experience, the numerous bobbleheads and skillbooks that made specializing or making any real choices in character direction meaningless, and how lopsidedly easy the combat became. I never had a problem with the graphics, other than the fact it was the Oblivion engine, which I knew was going to look ugly, so no big heartbreak there. Your other points, however, I don't see the same way you do. I explored nearly every square inch of the maps, because they were absolutely chock full of interesting things to see and do. I thought the lore was different than the first two games, but it stands to reason, since it's on the opposite coast of the US, and I didn't think they skimped on it in the least. The plot, while not the most original in the world, was adequate enough to provide a sense of direction and overall tone for the Capitol Wasteland, and the various personalities within it were no better - nor worse - written and depicted than FO1 or 2. Honestly, FO3 was a refreshing step back to what made RPGs great, especially when viewed against other games made that year. Weapon and armor degradation and repair, dialogue that was actually dependent on your traits and skills, a plethora of interesting quests that had nothing at all to do with the main quest…

What was it, in particular, that you didn't like?
I could go on forever about what I didn't like, but I'd rather not. My main issues with the game was that the landscape wasn't worth exploring. There was very few unique locations, none of them were particularly interesting. Unlike the previous games and other open world games it didn't feature any distinct and memorable locations that stood out.
There was the endless metro tunnels, which all looked the same and contained nothing of neither value nor interest. In the cities the roads were always blocked by junk so that you couldn't move around freely. The wasteland itself, in which almost no plants grow despite it being 200 years since the bombs fell, felt so tiny and dull. In the previous games the environments were dense with characters, quests and all kinds of stuff, this is because they didn't actually had to show much of the actual wasteland. In Fallout 3 it's all spread thin over such a large area that it like you're walking more than anything else, which you do. NPCs rarely have anything interesting to say to you, the dialogue choices you are given are despicable.

That, my friend, is my main gripes with Fallout, except the writing that is. If a game is built around exploring it better make it interesting.

You misunderstood what I was saying, I meant that your opinion, and like it or not that is what it is, is what you believe. You can have your own, but doesn't mean that the rest of us don't have different opinions. You guess I can have my opinion thats what I was saying, if anything you seem to be of the opinion I can't have my opinion of the game. Seems you speak of opinions and believe they are fine as long as they agree with you.
Do not put words in my mouth, and do take note that I never said that any opinion was wrong. I have never said nor implied that you couldn't have your own opinion of it. On the contrary, I have already said several times that I'm perfectly fine with you both having your own opinion and expressing it, as long as it amounts to something interesting to read.

I do think that it is a most players that enjoyed the previous games because of its setting will be disappointed in the third game, it is a logical conclusion one may draw from the fact that they only managed to use the most superficial elements of the universe in the game. It doesn't feel or play like a sequel but rather a spin-off.
I liked fallout 3 for its immersion which I think trumped any of the previous games due to feeling like the wasteland was there, right in front of you. When you came out of that bunker it was insane.
You liked the first person view more than the isometric view then?
Why didn't you just say so to begin with instead of blathering about opinions and my assumption that experienced gamers just might not find this game as entertaining as those that are new to the series.
I didn't have anything else to play at the time, and since I'm a fan of the previous games I wanted to know exactly how bad it was. It could have been worse, but I would have appreciated if they didn't use the title Fallout 3, considering how loosely connected the games are.

because jack is a tru bro, he plays games even if he hates them.
Damn straight.

Couchpotato said:
Your not alone in your view its the same problem every game that Bethesda makes. They can craft good environments and immerse you in the world but cant do npc's or quests in general.

Seriously would it hurt them to hire a better writing staff. Obsidian put them to shame. As for the mods it seems they fix every game they release it almost laughable. Feel sorry if you only play the vanilla version on consoles.

Im not saying there games are terrible but suffer from the same problems. In not believing any of the pregame Skyrim hype as its Bethesda cons and pros and everything.
Aye, the thing is that it didn't use to matter back when they were crafting huge worlds with loads of random generated content. The scale and freedom the games gave you often made up for the lifeless worlds. Instead of fixing this in later games they made the games smaller.

I could go on forever about what I didn't like, but I'd rather not. My main issues with the game was that the landscape wasn't worth exploring. There was very few unique locations, none of them were particularly interesting. Unlike the previous games and other open world games it didn't feature any distinct and memorable locations that stood out.
There was the endless metro tunnels, which all looked the same and contained nothing of neither value nor interest. In the cities the roads were always blocked by junk so that you couldn't move around freely. The wasteland itself, in which almost no plants grow despite it being 200 years since the bombs fell, felt so tiny and dull. In the previous games the environments were dense with characters, quests and all kinds of stuff, this is because they didn't actually had to show much of the actual wasteland. In Fallout 3 it's all spread thin over such a large area that it like you're walking more than anything else, which you do. NPCs rarely have anything interesting to say to you, the dialogue choices you are given are despicable.

That, my friend, is my main gripes with Fallout, except the writing that is. If a game is built around exploring it better make it interesting.

I didn't see it as boring as you did (obviously). Yes, the travel could get tedious, especially if it was to a place you hadn't visited yet, and I will concede that the landscape was far too bombed out for an area that was 200 years past the time the bombs fell (there's stuff growing in the Chernobyl reactors already for crying out loud). However, those things were balanced out by the numerous ways you could get sidetracked en route to your destination, and there were more than a couple of interesting and memorable locations, with memorable quests; Tenpenny Tower, Oasis, the Dunwich Building, Canterbury Commons, the Museum of Natural History, Rivet City...

The fact that the DC metro area was broken into smaller sections, and that access routes were blocked off by debris isn't any different than Fallout 1 or 2. Both of the first games had ways of channelizing you in both interior and exterior locations, whether it be by placement of exit grids, or blocking you off with wrecked cars, fences, walls, collapsed rubble, non-functioning doors, etc. (The areas of the first two Fallout games were nothing more than cells contained within larger zones, that were spots on a map.) Furthermore, it makes sense to create chokepoints, dead ends, and a maze-like structure out of the area, considering much of the city is an active war zone. It's no surprise that the metro tunnels all look the same, or that they contain nothing of value or interest, because they're simply pathways from one area to the other. You don't even need to utilize them once you've discovered the connecting metro station, but, again, that's part of the process of navigating the metro area. Compared with FO1 and 2s dashed line criss-crossing SoCal, I thought FO3's method did a much better job of keeping you integrated with the game world.

I didn't have anything else to play at the time, and since I'm a fan of the previous games I wanted to know exactly how bad it was. It could have been worse, but I would have appreciated if they didn't use the title Fallout 3, considering how loosely connected the games are.

So...you're a masochist...

I pretty much cut my teeth on the Fallout series, and it will always be one of my favorite games and settings, and while I don't think that FO3 was as good as the first two, I thought it was a more than adequate addition, and nowhere near the abortion of Fallout: Tactics. The writing in FO1 and 2 is leaps and bounds better than FO3, but I think FO3 has a much more rewarding experience in terms of exploration due to a more immersive and open world. There are a lot of complaints that the combat in FO3 is ridiculous - especially if you use V.A.T.S. - but it's no different than the first two games, if you - like I did - spend a good week just running around grinding random encounters, turning yourself into a perk-laden Ubermensch with Adv. Power Armor Mk II.

Well, said CB. For me the most fun was the exploration aspect, as it has been for all for the ES series. Character building, combat, quests, dialogue, not so much. I play other RPGs for that.

Well, said CB. For me the most fun was the exploration aspect, as it has been for all for the ES series. Character building, combat, quests, dialogue, not so much. I play other RPGs for that.

There lies the problem for some people I enjoy dialogue's and quests.

There lies the problem for some people I enjoy dialogue's and quests.

It's not a problem if you're familiar with who does those aspects best. It's no secret that Bethesda isn't known for strong dialogue. That's like complaining that Bioware games don't have strong exploration.

It's not a problem if you're familiar with who does those aspects best. It's no secret that Bethesda isn't known for strong dialogue. That's like complaining that Bioware games don't have strong exploration.

Bioware games don't have strong exploration? Fuckin' hell! ;)

Unless you go back to Baldur's Gate. ;)

Ah, yes, Baldur's Gate exploration. Wasn't it great how each of the postage stamp sized maps allowed you to point and click a WHOLE THREE TIMES before you had fully explored it? That was definitely epic! And awesome! And it had a lot of buttons, too! :biggrin:

3 times? you must be joking, unless you wanted to kill yourself, which is certainly a roleplaying alternative. ;)

Plus the city itself had a load of doors to open. Almost as fun as an advent calendar. almost...

Back
Top Bottom