COVID 19 - Coronavirus

I believe it's fairly well known, if not empirically proven, sunlight -- hence Vitamin D, as most of ours comes from the sun and not what we eat -- improves our immune systems. The health nuts out there can correct me, but I think that's why simply popping a pill is no remedy for sitting in an office under flourescent lights all day.

Actually, you can easily supplement vitamin D and achieve the same benefits as standing in the sun would give you. In many parts of Europe and the Middle East, you can't normally achieve sufficient and/or safe exposure to the sun year around anyway and the only way to attain consistently sufficient levels of vitamin D is to supplement it. There are estimates that around 40% of Europeans are vitamin D deficient, and it's probably the same if not worse in the US.

From a Nature article:

Recent large observational data have suggested that ~40% of Europeans are vitamin D deficient, and 13% are severely deficient [2]. The relevance of this widespread deficiency and necessity for supplementation has been questioned [3]. Certainly, vitamin D is not a panacea. Because more often than not, trials have included non-deficient individuals, it is not surprising that interventional trials have usually not been able to find a benefit of vitamin D supplementation on clinical outcomes. This was also reflected in meta-analyses on the topic that were carried out with poor methodological standards [4]. Consequently, many authors have dismissed a role of vitamin D on important clinical outcomes, and suggested that vitamin D may be more an associative than a causal factor in acute and chronic disease.

On the other hand, a low vitamin D status is emerging as a very common condition worldwide, and several studies from basic science to clinical applications have highlighted a strong association with chronic diseases, as well as acute conditions. Moreover, the large amount of observational data currently available are also accompanied by pathophysiological associations of vitamin D with energy homeostasis, and regulation of the immune and endocrine systems [5].

Recent negative interventional trials may be biased by substantial methodological and study design errors, making it impossible to show the potential contributing role of vitamin D supplementation in a deficient population. Typically, most studies have missed important prerequisites for a nutrient intervention trial: the absence of the problem to be solved—vitamin D deficiency, often ridiculously small sample sizes, and varying interventional regimes regarding dose and metabolite. Even the recent very large trials did not exclusively include deficient populations [6,7,8]. Moreover, interventional regimes have used a one-size-fits-all approach without taking into account individual differences in BMI and vitamin D metabolism.

Well, hubby and I caught it D:

We were hoping we will get away not catching it but nope D:

Very unhappy... this is not fun at all. I haven't been this sick for a long long long while

Well, hubby and I caught it D:

We were hoping we will get away not catching it but nope D:

Very unhappy... this is not fun at all. I haven't been this sick for a long long long while
Sorry to hear this, but welcome to the club. It's about time you joined. ;)

I didn't catch it myself until just a couple months ago. I was only sick for two days. Be grateful you didn't catch it back in 2020 when it was even more potent.

Sorry to hear this, but welcome to the club. It's about time you joined. ;)

I didn't catch it myself until just a couple months ago. I was only sick for two days. Be grateful you didn't catch it back in 2020 when it was even more potent.

I would have been even more grateful if I didn't catch it at all. I blame work. Hubby and I both had to go into work early last week and I think that's when we caught it. I'm totally for work from home! :(

If this is the "weaker" version of virus, I can't imagine how bad the original virus would have been.

We are both suffering from sore throat (my voice is totally changed), coughing, headache and body aches/pains. My toes also turned colourless/sickly yellow at one point - apparently its one of the lesser common symptoms. Thank god my toes colour is back to normal now. Freaked the hell out of me and hubby.

Get well soon. I know a lot of people who caught it over the last few months. Nobody had serious complications, but some of them had a really miserable time. It's a nasty little bugger.

I've managed to dodge it, but I got sick the other day with some non-covid bug for the first time since the pandemic. That was a fairly nasty one, too.

I've just had the new bivalent vaccine, along with a flu jab. That also made me feel grim the next day, but I'm hoping it armours me for winter.

Get well soon. I know a lot of people who caught it over the last few months. Nobody had serious complications, but some of them had a really miserable time. It's a nasty little bugger.

I've managed to dodge it, but I got sick the other day with some non-covid bug for the first time since the pandemic. That was a fairly nasty one, too.

I've just had the new bivalent vaccine, along with a flu jab. That also made me feel grim the next day, but I'm hoping it armours me for winter.
Thanks Ripper and sorry to hear you caught something nasty too :(

I was planning to get a booster shot but now I need to consult the doctor when would be best time - I think its not recommended to get a vaccine/booster straight after catching COVID.

I was planning to get a booster shot but now I need to consult the doctor when would be best time - I think its not recommended to get a vaccine/booster straight after catching COVID.
Sorry to hear you both caught the nasty bug :(

At least it's only now, and not one of the nasty variants we saw when hospitals were full, a small consolation.

It turns out I've just received an invitation to get a booster in the mailbox today, and they advise people who are infected to wait 14 days after recovery before taking it. But being infected should already give a pretty good update to your immune system. ;)

Get well soon! :)

Hope you feel better soon Purple. We've not had it and hoping to keep it that way as husband is especially vulnerable for it to get complicated. A lot of our friends, especially those who work in public services are on their 2nd or 3rd covid, milder each time. It's the fatigue afterwards that some find really aggravating but this passes.

May you recover soon, Purpleblob. I also caught a few bout of something two weeks ago, then dumbly was out in the rain for two days afterwards and I think I wound up giving myself pneumonia. I'm finally getting over it now, I cannot even recall the last time I was ill for two weeks. At least thanks to HiddenX I had something to amuse myself with.

May you recover soon, Purpleblob. I also caught a few bout of something two weeks ago, then dumbly was out in the rain for two days afterwards and I think I wound up giving myself pneumonia. I'm finally getting over it now, I cannot even recall the last time I was ill for two weeks. At least thanks to HiddenX I had something to amuse myself with.
Hope you get well soon too!! :(
Really wish we find a way to combat this nasty virus better soon!!

I've had it confirmed once last winter. Wasn't bad at all since I'd gotten two shots at that time. I spent a day with a relative who got quite sick with it in the summer (she got sick during a family meet up) and felt... something afterwards. Not sure if I caught a very mild variant or if it was just nocebo.

Several colleagues had it this fall. They were quite sick and some of them got a week or two of tiredness afterwards, but now they seem healthy again.

I also meet lots of patients and their parents who've had it again since school started in Sweden in August.

They expected a peak around this time and it seems like they were right and we are moving past it now.

The implication is that theU.S.Government authorized and funded the deployment of noncompliant biological materials on Americans without clarifying their “prototype” legal status, making the materials not subject to normal regulatory oversight, all while maintaining a fraudulent pseudo- “regulatory” presentation to the public,” said Latypova.

Most incredible is the fact that current Laws enacted by the United States Congress appear to make the coverup actions LEGAL!”

I think "Armed Forces Press" will be having a bit of a meltdown given that Trump was in charge when this supposed BIG COVERUP happened.

Also, is there a war on spacing that they're participating in that I'm not aware of, because that "article" is a mess?

Anyway, I'll wait for non-far-right, non-antivaxxer press for a more coherent story, because those clowns are still extolling the virtues of ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine and putting scare quotes around vaccines, which is pretty comical in 2023.

I think "Armed Forces Press" will be having a bit of a meltdown given that Trump was in charge when this supposed BIG COVERUP happened.

Also, is there a war on spacing that they're participating in that I'm not aware of, because that "article" is a mess?

Anyway, I'll wait for non-far-right, non-antivaxxer press for a more coherent story, because those clowns are still extolling the virtues of ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine and putting scare quotes around vaccines, which is pretty comical in 2023.
I don't think they care who covered it up, rather it was covered up. As news press should be.

I think the spacing is because I copied it using brave browser. As for Ivermectin, it has been shown to work as an entry for Zinc into cells which has been recently shown to be effective at reducing covid fatality.

Zinc supplementation working:

Ivermectin with normal dose(12mg) working:
12mg daily for 5 days
12mg twice weekly(the more effective of the two)

Problem is that a lot of studies arent using IVM properly. Imagine if you high dose antibiotics? Its a recipe for disaster. The ones that are low-medium dose for 5 days has shown to be effective. Ive seen quite a few trials that do up to 3x the dosage of what should be done. Should be 200mcg/kg. Weirdly those are the only two studies that do 12 mg I have found that were placebo controlled and double blind. Other are like 400mcg/kg or 600mcg/kg daily. So for the 100kg person most at risk they are giving them between ~5x to ~25x the does that has been shown to be effective.

I dont know if this site is far right though, I looked for the "website + bias" on google and found nothing *shrugs*.

Yeah, that was a badly written and edited article. They obviously don't have training in writing, journalism or science, since they don't understand the limits of their own biases.

Below here is not aimed at you, @Taluntain, but at others who might read this.

There's better ways to find out the current knowledge around ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, as well as the vaccines. There are ongoing Cochrane reviews (gold standard meta reviews) of their potential efficacy:

Ivermectin (no evidence of efficacy, though ongoing trials might change that evaluation)

Hydroxychloroquine (no effect, and increased negative side effects)

Vaccines (approved vaccines decrease, or likely decrease, risk of infection and severe infection, long term efficacy is not yet known)

Single research papers is not enough to prove or disprove much of anything in medical science, always go to meta reviews.

I know all of the above, @SveNitoR , but thanks for posting the links so I don't have to. OverIt posted a few old links that at a glance seem to indicate that ivermectin is the miracle cure that antivaxxers are hailing it as, but they really don't and it isn't. That has been debunked hundreds of times over the years, but naturally that hasn't stopped them posting these links over and over again. Unfortunately, it's very easy to mislead people online with a few links that seem to support their convictions, because people tend to grasp at any straws that validate their beliefs.

Yeah, I agree with you.

I fall into the same traps myself sometimes, but I try to investigate the most serious sources and at least try to accept their data even if my gut feeling says otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom