COVID 19 - Coronavirus

Yeah, that was a badly written and edited article. They obviously don't have training in writing, journalism or science, since they don't understand the limits of their own biases.

Below here is not aimed at you, @Taluntain, but at others who might read this.

There's better ways to find out the current knowledge around ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, as well as the vaccines. There are ongoing Cochrane reviews (gold standard meta reviews) of their potential efficacy:

Ivermectin (no evidence of efficacy, though ongoing trials might change that evaluation)

Hydroxychloroquine (no effect, and increased negative side effects)

Vaccines (approved vaccines decrease, or likely decrease, risk of infection and severe infection, long term efficacy is not yet known)

Single research papers is not enough to prove or disprove much of anything in medical science, always go to meta reviews.

With the ivermectin study:
We considered all doses and regimens of ivermectin eligible and pooled them for the analysis. We considered and categorized dosing schemes into low (≤ 0.2 mg/kg orally, single dose) and high doses (> 0.2 mg/kg orally, single dose or with higher frequency). We plan to analyse different doses in subgroup analyses, if sufficient trials are available for review updates.

They combined the high dose with low dose for the study. High dose doesnt work. Low dose works as i pointed out in my 2 studies. Not much low dose studies as those two were all i could find with low dose.

I know all of the above, @SveNitoR , but thanks for posting the links so I don't have to. OverIt posted a few old links that at a glance seem to indicate that ivermectin is the miracle cure that antivaxxers are hailing it as, but they really don't and it isn't. That has been debunked hundreds of times over the years, but naturally that hasn't stopped them posting these links over and over again. Unfortunately, it's very easy to mislead people online with a few links that seem to support their convictions, because people online tend to grasp at any straws that validate their beliefs.
My two studies were debunked? When? They are still in the medical study databases?

My two studies were debunked? When? They are still in the medical study databases?
And there's literally hundreds more credible-source articles on this subject merely a googling away.

And there's literally hundreds more credible-source articles on this subject merely a googling away.
Those dont actually debunk the studies i have mentioned. As i said they include methods that dont work and goes against the recommended dosage. Find me a study, even one, that shows low dose ivermectin doesnt work. I am just looking for one of those. I have take the full course of novavax and the booster so it isnt like i am an antivaxxer.

Surprise but of course sites like CNN still wont admit it.
The Department of Energy’s low-confidence assessment that Covid-19 most likely originated from a laboratory leak in China is still a minority view within the intelligence community, three sources familiar with the intelligence community’s findings tell CNN.

While the FBI has also assessed – with moderate confidence – the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 likely leaked from a lab, the majority of the intelligence community still believes that Covid either emerged naturally in the wild, or that there is still too little evidence to make a judgment one way or another.

Three sources told CNN that the Department of Energy’s shift was based in part on information about research being conducted at the Chinese Centers for Disease Control in Wuhan, China, which was studying a coronavirus variant around the time of the outbreak.

We will likely never know for sure how it came about. The only thing almost everyone is agreeing on is that, if it did indeed come from a lab, it was not leaked on purpose.

Personally I think it is much more interesting to look att what we've learned:

- Don't keep interacting to extreme extents with wild animals, since viruses can mutate and jump across species.
- Very carefully thought out safety measures are needed in laboratories dealing with diseases.
- Keep funding virus/disease research.

- Extreme measures can make a difference early in the spread of a highly contagious virus, but later it seems to be more detrimental to society (at least in this case where the virus was only somewhat dangerous).
- People don't have the stamina to follow restrictions for many hundreds of days, especially if it is a restriction that is severe.
- Closing borders is a sure way to increase conflict between nations and regions. Cooperation and understanding is much easier when the other is present.
- Making vaccines mandatory creates rifts in society and in families. Maybe it increases vaccination rates, but there probably are less destructive ways to so that.
- Using public shaming makes the affected people listen less. We need other ways to communicate about global and national health issues.

All I'm going to say is, I'm all for social distancing and keeping up with vaccine as someone suffering from long covid. Its seriously not fun stuff and I never want to catch this damned virus again.

All I'm going to say is, I'm all for social distancing and keeping up with vaccine as someone suffering from long covid. Its seriously not fun stuff and I never want to catch this damned virus again.
Sure. We just need to make sure the measures are effective in preventing infection and/or severe consequences, while not being too detrimental in other ways.

One "good" thing about the pandemic is that a lot of research going towards understanding and treating long covid might help with many similar problems, which seem to affect women more than men. It has traditionally been an area with little funding, but that has changed a bit.

Yeah, I think it's still far from proven it was a lab leak. Still, it would be quite interesting if that could be established, particularly if they tried to cover it up, rather than warning everyone. Some severe reputational damage for the Chinese state.

Aww, sorry to read you have long covid Purple. A couple of friends are still suffering fatigue and weakness, months after their Covid infection.
My husband has multiple sclerosis so we're very cautious. We mask up or avoid crowded places, keep up to date with vacs etc. I test before visiting frail elderly relatives. Having said that, I don't think strict lockdowns are the answer, perhaps a more considered approach and public health awareness. A balance of the risks and trying to mitigate them without overly curtailing other important aspects of life.
I hang about on womens breast cancer groups and there are now the women joining who have had delayed diagnosis/treatment due to everything in their area shutting down. Not so where I live, all my routine scans and appointments still happened.

Yeah, I think it's still far from proven it was a lab leak. Still, it would be quite interesting if that could be established, particularly if they tried to cover it up, rather than warning everyone. Some severe reputational damage for the Chinese state.
I'm not sure if the reputation of the Chinese state can get much worse than it already is.

My mother had a bout with long-term covid right after Christmas, which led to her being in hospital for three days later in January. After clearing her of pneumonia, she was released and spent the next ten days fairly miserable at home, yet she fully recovered. That long-term covid is quite the bugger, now that I've actually witnessed it in action.

I'm not sure if the reputation of the Chinese state can get much worse than it already is.
Not with us in the West, but there is a battle for hearts and minds of the developing economic powers, where China has a lot of influence, and is seen quite differently. It would definitely damage China's image in that sphere, and harm their long term game.

Nobody seems to be disputing the origin, but somehow the media saw fit to pillory Trump as racist for saying it out loud. Interesting, that.

Amen not being able to walk or go down stars without getting winded due to co-vid messing up my lungs even more then they were already damaged from second hand smoke. So in conclusion that virus is a piece of shit, and destroyed my life even more.

Nobody seems to be disputing the origin, but somehow the media saw fit to pillory Trump as racist for saying it out loud. Interesting, that.
Yep most news outlets went the apologist route for China and labeled that theory racist. China wont admit it was their fault as it will then be a war crime against the world.

Anyway not the first disease to originate from Asia to infect the world.

We did this bit two years ago. Even a stopped racist clock is right twice a day.

If indeed it is right, which, if it weren't proven, would be a bloody irresponsible thing for a president to claim.

I'm physically incapable of listening to the sound of Gutfeld. What's his point?

Back
Top Bottom