Dark Souls 3 - PC Performance Breakdown

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can't parry. :)

As for the jump attack, I've never had good luck with that. I get about 60% success rate on K&M and on controller, doesn't seem to matter. I don't use it much anyway. Anyway it's w+regular attack button.

Did you have that much difficulty with it in DS1 as well? The reason I ask is because that's one of the few moves that I find easier to pull off with M&K. I can only do it about 50% of the time on a controller, but I almost always get it with M&K.

So they changed it to Forward+regular attack in DS3?

I suck at this game in more ways than one! I keep on getting lost! Anyway I cheated and got this so if anyone want any cheats ask away :lol:

Attachments

• 93bc00b0-2069-4034-8518-9970441926bc.jpg
    93bc00b0-2069-4034-8518-9970441926bc.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 64
Awesome game. Loving it, so far!

I've been getting crashes on my gtx680. Runs perfectly, other than that, in all high with motion blur off.

Parry timing I've just started really practicing while trying to get a Silver Knight Sword to drop. I think you need to hit parry right as the weapon is about to make contact with you...... Does the sword not drop off the knights, or...?

Starting to wish I had more than 7 luck!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can't parry. :)

Did you have that much difficulty with it in DS1 as well? The reason I ask is because that's one of the few moves that I find easier to pull off with M&K. I can only do it about 50% of the time on a controller, but I almost always get it with M&K.

So they changed it to Forward+regular attack in DS3?

I thought so but now it seems I was mistaken. w+regular attack is kick, w+strong attack is jump attack and actually after a short bit of practice it works a good percentage. i still don't think I'll use it much though.

Still very hit and miss with parry after a lot of practice.

found a wrinkle in weapon arts. As I said before you need to be in 2 handed stance. then different weapons will have different attacks and execution.

For example the bandit knife works as I said strong attack (left hand) will do dash move. However to do the long sword and uchigatana move you hold down strong attack (left hand) and your character will draw the weapon back and then you press light attack (right hand) while still holding strong attack (left hand) and that will unleash an uppercut attack with the long sword and a sweeping attack with the uchigatana. Hope that helps.:)

Also JDR, I bought the ASUS bt400 bluetooth dongle and got it working just fine. I followed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYU3ut0MDQ0

I did also have to unplug my PS4 as when I went to sync the controller it would turn on the PS4 and sync with it even though the PS4 is on a different level of the house.

Also JDR, I bought the ASUS bt400 bluetooth dongle and got it working just fine. I followed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYU3ut0MDQ0

I did also have to unplug my PS4 as when I went to sync the controller it would turn on the PS4 and sync with it even though the PS4 is on a different level of the house.

Yeah, I had the same issue with my PS3 turning on when I was trying to sync my DS3 with Windows.

How did you get the dongle so quickly? Were you able to find it in a local store? I had to order mine online.

I read that Sony designed the DS4 to be more compatible with Windows. They even claim it works "out of the box" with Windows 10, although you obviously still need 3rd party software.

Yeah, I had the same issue with my PS3 turning on when I was trying to sync my DS3 with Windows.

How did you get the dongle so quickly? Were you able to find it in a local store? I had to order mine online.

I read that Sony designed the DS4 to be more compatible with Windows. They even claim it works "out of the box" with Windows 10, although you obviously still need 3rd party software.

I'm fortunate enough to live by a microcenter. Its great for when I don't want to wait for stuff to ship. they have great pricing on most stuff and some of the best cpu pricing I've seen. Also Amazon has prime now in my area which is same day delivery and I can even get 1 hour delivery if I want to pay for it. Only on items in thier warehouse in MN though but it's still a decent selection.

I haven't been able to get the ds4 to work out of the box but I know Sony has a program now to stream ps4 games to PC so maybe it's tied to that. I haven't check it out though.

I used to live near a Microcenter when I lived in MI. I miss that store.

I saw an article recently about streaming PS4 games to your PC, but I'm not sure I get the appeal. I mean, you still have to own a PS4 to do it, so I don't see the point.

Yeah, the only point I could see is if the tv the ps4 is hooked to is being used then you could stream it to your PC. I guess also I have 2 ps4's now. One in the living room and one in the theater room. if I had streaming I could just buy one and stream to my PC that's in my theater room.

I agree though there not a huge need for it but it's free as far as I know so for those rare times you'd want to do it, you can.

To be honest, I spent a comic amount of time last night just running around the shrine and trying to work out where the hell to go next. Worked it out in the end…. I'm clearly just not the sharpest crayon in the box! :)

Haha! Same here :(
I'm kind of sad that the world isn't connected like in DS 1.

This game is really hard! I am about 15 hours in and still getting killed left right and centre. :( However I killed the first boss (yay me!) and killed mini boss who has that katana but I think I cheesed that fight (run hit, run hit etc) and it took good 20 minutes! And I can't use that kataan yet as I need 16 dex, oh well.

I am playing a Knight and I have 4 heal potions and they are not enough! Is there anyway I can use heal spell? I don't use my FP so I was wondering if I can somehow get heal spell on top of it.

I am loving the Gothic atmosphere, its really well done. The adrenaline rush is pretty good when you kill a mob who has killed you lots of time!

Also I have no idea whats going on in the game. Is there quest log or something I am missing?

Last edited:
This game is really hard! I am about 15 hours in and still getting killed left right and centre. :( However I killed the first boss (yay me!) and killed mini boss who has that katana but I think I cheesed that fight (run hit, run hit etc) and it took good 20 minutes! And I can't use that kataan yet as I need 16 dex, oh well.

I am playing a Knight and I have 4 heal potions and they are not enough! Is there anyway I can use heal spell? I don't use my FP so I was wondering if I can somehow get heal spell on top of it.

I am loving the Gothic atmosphere, its really well done. The adrenaline rush is pretty good when you kill a mob who has killed you lots of time!

Also I have no idea whats going on in the game. Is there quest log or something I am missing?

I feel for ya, that's how how felt with DS1. At bout the 20 hour mark things started to click though.

For using miracles you'll need the faith requirement ( it should tell you in the heal spell description) the heal spell, attunement slots and clerics sacred charm. Then you can cast miracles. Once you have that you put the spell in the attunement slot, equip the chime in your off hand and then you can cast it.

There not much in they way of story. Basically as far as I can tell your looking for the lords of cinder to defeat them. There is a lot of lore to be gathered by item descriptions and NPC's and that's about it. It's not really a game about story and the game will tell you next to nothing about what to do. It's about discovering what to do and how the game works through exploration and experimentation.

As for combat, study your enemies move sets and experiment with different tactics to find weaknesses. Be sure to use everything at your disposal, bombs, throwing knives, arrows, weapons arts, backstab, parry & riposte, etc. try different weapons as well, a different move set can make a battle feel totally different and have a different outcome. Also with the high difficulty level never feel bad about cheaping an opponent, many times it setup for you, enemy by a cliff, sneak up and kick him off, lure enemies to cliffs and roll out of the way to watch them fall to thier deaths, plunge attacks when available, etc.

Be sure to upgrade your weapons with titanite shards or enchant them with fire, poison, lightening, etc. Also read descriptions of items and really study thier stats as any little advantage is worth it.

It will get better with practice, as I said I felt the same way in DS1 and now in DS3 I ran through the first area and didn't suffer my first death until after firelink shrine.

Good luck, any other questions just ask.:)

Is there anyway I can use heal spell? I don't use my FP so I was wondering if I can somehow get heal spell on top of it.

You can get a Clerics Chime to drop randomly off the monsters in the tutorial area. This is what you'd use to cast Miracles if you didn't start as Cleric or Herald.

The weapon art of the chime is a health regeneration spell which lasts as long as you keep the chime in your hand and uses very little FP.

To buy a chime is 4000 souls and doesn't appear until you save an NPC from a cell.

I'd say don't bother investing in faith. Just get faith and int to 10 and get the pyromancy spell which coats your weapon in fire and that's your 1 slot taken care of. You can swap it out for a fire resist buff for some... challenges. :)

Went to see DS3 performance report on TotalBiscuit's yt channel… He put the vid explaining why there won't be one.
As it's just 10 mins, I watched it.

What I've seen is someone, maybe him, playing a few minutes through some mobs, dying on some miniboss (I think), then replaying the whole area of filler mobs, dying again at the same miniboss, then third time grinding on same trashmobs…

Is that supposed to be fun? Sorry people, but if I was a pro critic, just that design would put the game below 5/10 in my case (pluses could go to graphics and sound if good). It's not a game, it's a job. Hard game, my arse. It's working hard but receiving no paycheck. Even slavery was better than that, at least you'd get food.

@sakichop @SirJames

I bought the "Heal Aid" spell and a talisman from the vendor in Firelink Shrine for 1.5k souls total. I had to get my Faith to 10 as well and its working nicely as a heal! It sort of works out to be about 2 additional Estus Flasks and its so handy right now. Thanks for your tips. :)

I have been farming the starter area for now but had no luck in getting Clerics Chime to drop so moving on for now. My Luck stats is 7 and I guess its too low to get nice loot from mobs?

I am well pass the 20 hours mark and I think it will be another 20 hours before thinks really click for me but I am still getting by and I can see my self improving and thats bloody excellent feeling. I am in High Wall of Lothric and at first those Lothric Knights were annoying hard but I can take them on now and kill them without much issue. I got my dex up to 16 and using the Uchigatana and I think its also helping.

At one point I was carrying 7k souls and got killed. I was on my way back to recover my soul but got killed so lost that 7k souls. That was really annoying!

Also I didn't know those message you see on the floor was let by other players. I thought it was tutorial message from the game. Anyway at one point it said, try to jump here and I did :lol:

Another question - I have Large Titanite Shard from that Dragon in the second area. Should I use it on Uchigatana and upgrade it or wait for better weapon?

Last edited:
Went to see DS3 performance report on TotalBiscuit's yt channel… He put the vid explaining why there won't be one.
As it's just 10 mins, I watched it.

What I've seen is someone, maybe him, playing a few minutes through some mobs, dying on some miniboss (I think), then replaying the whole area of filler mobs, dying again at the same miniboss, then third time grinding on same trashmobs…

Is that supposed to be fun? Sorry people, but if I was a pro critic, just that design would put the game below 5/10 in my case (pluses could go to graphics and sound if good). It's not a game, it's a job. Hard game, my arse. It's working hard but receiving no paycheck. Even slavery was better than that, at least you'd get food.

Mobs do respawn and that annoyed me a lot at first. However you can quite easily skip lot of them. You can also run pass them as well. Once you learn and cleared the map for the first time, you see there are lot of shorts cuts as well so again you can skip trash. So its not as bad as it looks....

At one point I was carrying 7k souls and got killed. I was on my way back to recover my soul but got killed so lost that 7k souls. That was really annoying!

Yeah, it sucks when that happens. Unless you're saving to purchase a particular item, there's no reason to horde souls. You're better off spending them as soon as you have enough to level whatever stat you need to increase.

Yeah, it sucks when that happens. Unless you're saving to purchase a particular item, there's no reason to horde souls. You're better off spending them as soon as you have enough to level whatever stat you need to increase.

Thats exactly what I am doing now. I didn't think of it that way at first! However I do wish they will allow me to store souls in storage! But that will take away some of the tension from the game I guess.

@sakichop @SirJames

I bought the "Heal Aid" spell and a talisman from the vendor in Firelink Shrine for 1.5k souls total. I had to get my Faith to 10 as well and its working nicely as a heal! It sort of works out to be about 2 additional Estus Flasks and its so handy right now. Thanks for your tips. :)

I have been farming the starter area for now but had no luck in getting Clerics Chime to drop so moving on for now. My Luck stats is 7 and I guess its too low to get nice loot from mobs?

I am well pass the 20 hours mark and I think it will be another 20 hours before thinks really click for me but I am still getting by and I can see my self improving and thats bloody excellent feeling. I am in High Wall of Lothric and at first those Lothric Knights were annoying hard but I can take them on now and kill them without much issue. I got my dex up to 16 and using the Uchigatana and I think its also helping.

Also I didn't know those message you see on the floor was let by other players. I thought it was tutorial message from the game. Anyway at one point it said, try to jump here and I did :lol:

I have 14 luck because after several restarts I settled on playing a thief, love the bandit knife too much not to. I've sold probably 5 of those chimes, chimes and desert armor are what drops mostly for me in the beginning area. I don't use the chime and my guy starts with desert armor, so screw you game.:lol:

As for souls I try to never carry a lot. It's unavoidable here in the early game since you will have 10,000 before you even get to firelink shrine if you kill the crystal lizard first. I will typically spend all my souls before I go exploring and when I'm out exploring I try to kill as little as possible so I don't get too deep or lost with a ton of souls and stress out about it. I'll scout like this until I find a bonfire then I'll go back and clear the area between bonfires after I know about all the ambushes, traps and surprises.

This system isn't for everyone though as its a bit ridged and businesslike for a lack of a better word but I lose very little souls this way and it doesn't lessen my enjoyment or wreak the atmosphere.

Plus when i see a message that says jump I can do it without worrying about losing souls.:) dropping off ledges, trying to see if you can make a jump, falling in holes, etc. are a big part of exploration so not having to worry about losing a bunch of souls gives you the freedom to really explore imo.

You can get really far in the game without killing many bosses. Seems many are optional. I've wandered all the way to crucifixion woods and only had to kill 2 bosses. Not sure if I like that design or not but I suppose it will be nice for quick runs to get achievements if that's your thing. Bloodborne was similar and could be beaten very quickly on a second play through when you know where to go and what you can skip.

Overall enjoying it but as with other dark souls games it seems to be a bit slanted towards tanking characters than dex. I have to wear pretty much nothing to stay under 25% equip load. Where's havel's ring when I need it.:)

Combat tip, be sure to use your resins for fire, lightening, etc. they seem to make a bigger difference than in previous games making what seems like an impossible battle,
trivial.

Oh, I'm up to about 30% efficiency with parry and riposte. It's taking much longer to master than previous games but I'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom