Dark Souls 3 - PC Performance Breakdown

I have 14 luck because after several restarts I settled on playing a thief, love the bandit knife too much not to. I've sold probably 5 of those chimes, chimes and desert armor are what drops mostly for me in the beginning area. I don't use the chime and my guy starts with desert armor, so screw you game.:lol:

Would you recommend Luck to a Knight class? I have 7 right now but putting most of my souls into getting more HP. I have picked up quite few loot so far with Luck at 7 but I am not sure how good any of them are.

Plus when i see a message that says jump I can do it without worrying about losing souls.:)
I think those message are mostly trolling! I mean I have came across so many of them saying hidden wall here and i hit the wall with my weapon and roll on to them but nothing happens :lol:

Overall enjoying it but as with other dark souls games it seems to be a bit slanted towards tanking characters than dex. I have to wear pretty much nothing to stay under 25% equip load. Where's havel's ring when I need it.:)
Tbh I am finding that shield block seems to be not that great. Its seems better to roll and avoid damage than block. If I am lucky and roll behind the mob, I can get some nice big hits on them. For example, if I block Lothric knights with my shield, they can easy to break through it and stun lock me but if I get luck with nice timed roll and get behind them I can easily kill them with 2 or 3 hits. So I am just wondering what is the point of shield, heavy armour in this game?

Also why do you need to say under 25% equip load?

Oh, I'm up to about 30% efficiency with parry and riposte. It's taking much longer to master than previous games but I'll get there.
My parry efficiency is less than 1% :lol: I need to spend some time on learning it.

It takes 2 titanite to upgrade your weapon to +1. You usually get enough resources to get 1 or 2 weapons maxed out but you be able to bring many weapons to +6-+9 if your willing to farm or just get lucky drops. That's how other games have been anyway.

Not sure what the max is. In DS1 it was +15, in bloodborne it was +10 and I never maxed a weapon in DS2 so I'm not sure what it was.

It's also a bit more complicated than that's as you can infuse weapons as well with, dark, fire, lightening, sharp, strong, etc. Then these weapons can be upgraded to +5. In DS1 I don't know exactly how everything works in DS3 but I would assume is similar.

It's a very complex system that I never fully figured out in DS1 and pretty much only used the standard upgrade path and steered clear of raw, fire, etc.

Backstabbing definitely seems easier than DSII. I'm experimenting with parry but still continue to nearly always mistime it.

I just killed the second boss so I'm wandering around in ember state. Fortunately, I've had no invasions so far, although I expect I'll get one soon enough. If it is anything like the previous two games I won't last long against a proper PVPer...

Is anyone making use of the new weapon styles and focus points? I've had a couple of quick goes with them using a katana, they just looked like sloooow attacks and I couldn't get the timing right. I'm pretty much ignoring them at the minute and playing it like I did the previous games. Are they worth persevering with?

Backstabbing definitely seems easier than DSII. I'm experimenting with parry but still continue to nearly always mistime it.

I just killed the second boss so I'm wandering around in ember state. Fortunately, I've had no invasions so far, although I expect I'll get one soon enough. If it is anything like the previous two games I won't last long against a proper PVPer…

Is anyone making use of the new weapon styles and focus points? I've had a couple of quick goes with them using a katana, they just looked like sloooow attacks and I couldn't get the timing right. I'm pretty much ignoring them at the minute and playing it like I did the previous games. Are they worth persevering with?

Invasion and PvP? Are you playing on multilayer server?

If it is anything like the previous games, pvp is always on. I think you can be invaded in this game when you are in ember state - another player can invades your world and try to kill you. Although it hasn't happened to me yet in DSIII.

I wouldn't invest in luck for the knight, unless you want to grind extra souls and have already fleshed out other stats.

I'm sure there are rings somewhere that will boost item discovery as well.

Keep in mind that stats have a soft and hard cap. Meaning the higher you get them the less improvement you'll get per level. I believe 40 is the soft cap at which you'll get greatly reduced return and the return after 50 is almost nothing.

HP are good but I wouldn't invest too much there. I stop at about 20. You'll still want endurance for more attacks, vitality so your not fat rolling all the time and dex or strength to use your weapons and do as much damage as possible.

I can't stress enough though to build the character how ever you want. There's no right or wrong and the most important stat is user skill. No amount of stats will save you if you don't perfect your skills. It's not like a game like baldurs gate where a level 1 character could never make the end game. In dark souls you'll see insanely good players beat the game at level 1, naked and just with thier fist. For us mere mortals though the stats will help but stats alone will not win the day.

I just killed the second boss so I'm wandering around in ember state. Fortunately, I've had no invasions so far, although I expect I'll get one soon enough. If it is anything like the previous two games I won't last long against a proper PVPer…

I'm using weapon arts. Remember different weapons have different arts. Bandit knife for instance gives you a dash like in bloodborne, axe gave me a boost to damage I believe and the katana gives you a slash that can take out multiple enemies.

Invasion and PvP? Are you playing on multilayer server?

If your online you can be invaded. The same people leaving trolling messages can come and try to kill you.lol

Anyway it's never been a big problem for me as its usually contained to certain areas. In DS2 I don't think I got invaded at all outside of 2 areas in the game which I quickly cleared and didn't return.

Also you can join the blue sentinels covenant ( I think) and if you get invaded you'll get help most times. Also there's items to make you invisible or turn monsters on the invaders or if you go to a boss the invader will be warped out.

On the flip side if an area or boss is too hard you can summon help from nPC's or other actual people.

found a wrinkle in weapon arts. As I said before you need to be in 2 handed stance. then different weapons will have different attacks and execution.

Fyi, that's not exactly accurate - you can use weapon arts from your 1H stance. E.g., I'm wielding the Uchigatana right now, and I can use the weapon art ("Hold", I think?) without going into 2H stance first.

(If you mean that you can't use a shield at the same time as a weapon art, that may be true, but your character automatically puts it away and takes it back out. You don't need to switch to 2H first.)

I've rebound all of my keys, so I can't comment on the default KB/M controls for weapon arts. Rebinding made a huge difference for me - I went from probably 30% consistency with kicking/jump attacking to about 99%, by simplifying the keystrokes from 3 to 2. The default KB/M controls (using Shift as a modifier) aren't terrible, but moving Strong attack to a separate mouse button had a surprisingly significant effect on my effectiveness with combat and controls.

Fyi, that's not exactly accurate - you can use weapon arts from your 1H stance. E.g., I'm wielding the Uchigatana right now, and I can use the weapon art ("Hold", I think?) without going into 2H stance first.

(If you mean that you can't use a shield at the same time as a weapon art, that may be true, but your character automatically puts it away and takes it back out. You don't need to switch to 2H first.)

I've rebound all of my keys, so I can't comment on the default KB/M controls for weapon arts. Rebinding made a huge difference for me - I went from probably 30% consistency with kicking/jump attacking to about 99%, by simplifying the keystrokes from 3 to 2. The default KB/M controls (using Shift as a modifier) aren't terrible, but moving Strong attack to a separate mouse button had a surprisingly significant effect on my effectiveness with combat and controls.

Really, thx. I'll have to try weapon art again when I get home. I thought it was a wierd limitation but I didn't notice it working until I went 2handed. Shame on me for not experimenting more.

Yep I also rebound keys to get rid of shifting. Helps quite a bit.

Really, thx. I'll have to try weapon art again when I get home. I thought it was a wierd limitation but I didn't notice it working until I went 2handed. Shame on me for not experimenting more.

Yep I also rebound keys to get rid of shifting. Helps quite a bit.

I actually thought it was 2H only at first, too. I practiced it in 2H stance, then realized I could use it via the same keypresses in 1H stance.

Mind you, I still haven't successfully pulled it off in combat. ;) But it makes a cool noise, like performing a backstab, so it seems like it'll be useful someday.

Just tried it and I have to actually unequip my shield in order to get it to work. Otherwise my guy just parries.

So I can do it 2 handed or with a weapon and no shield. Maybe it would work with a shield if I didn't have on that parried?

Ok figured it out it depends on the shield. Shield skills will be parry, bash or weapon skill. ( at least that I've seen so far) ones that say weapon skill allow you to do weapon arts with them equipped.

It's working for me with a katana/shield combo - my guy is going straight into weapon arts and automatically putting away his shield, then re-equipping it when I come out of weapon arts. It makes a massive difference, I'd been doing it manually until now - thanks suibhne. Maybe it's down to the weapon you have equipped, Sakichop? The only other weapon in my inventory at the minute is a broken straight sword and it works with that. I need to experiment more and test these things…
Edit: ahh you beat me to a reply!

A PC-only fanatic of my acquaintance has given up on the Steam version and is playing through it on a friend's XBox One.

A PC-only fanatic of my acquaintance has given up on the Steam version and is playing through it on a friend's XBox One.

What problem are they having with it?

I did eventually get invaded whilst running around in ember state, apparently, although I never found the other player. I don't know if he was hiding on the map somewhere waiting to jump out at me, or maybe he was running around somewhere else completely, or maybe it was a bug. On the old games invaders were normally in your face quite quickly.

How does this play on KB-M vs controller? Lack of good KB-M support is the main reasons I haven't played any of the souls game yet.

Last edited:
How does this play on KB-M vs controller? Lack of good KB-M support is the main reasons I haven't played any of the soul game yet.

Even the first game is perfectly playable with M&K, but many people feel a good controller works better. It's about 50/50 for me. I'd probably go with a controller if forced to choose though.

<<< THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS >>>

Been playing the PC version (using an Xbox 360 Controller) of DS3 since released a few days ago. To date I've played all the Souls games except Bloodborne if you consider that a 'souls' game.

Here's my assessment so far having only put in 16 hours into the game and I'm currenty at Crucifixion Woods trying to figure out what the hell to do about the large crabs there.

PROS:

-The game loading menu has finally been streamlined. Only takes three presses of the controller button and you're in the game.

-The UI is very tidy this time around. There is a separate slot for a covenant token(don't have to use a ring slot). There is a sub-menu for setting up multiplayer items that I really appreciate. The travel menu is organized much better.

-Firelink Shrine makes a great hub with relevant NPCs all in one place. DS2 mostly had this as well but a couple NPCs roamed around and sometimes I felt like it was just padding time to the game to make you go to some other place to buy something routine.

-DS3 returns to that 'more deadly' vibe of DS1. Everything is scary.

-Secrets seem really secret this time around. I haven't found a single hidden area (where you hit the wall with your weapon or press the button with your controller to reveal a hidden location). I've only come across maybe two or three treasure chests and one mimic that was really evil and very near the start of the game.

-The frame rate issue that would degrade weapons way too fast in DS2 seems like it's gone - hooray.

CONS (Or maybe a better word would be 'mysteries')

-The difficulty curves are presented in an odd sort of way. Much of the starting area seems to have tougher enemies to fight compared with some of the areas right after.

-Bon fire placement seems weird to me. You go these long stretches without a bonfire. Then there will be two bonfires really close to each other. Perhaps this will make sense in NG+ OR perhaps I missed some hidden ones.

- I haven't been able to make sense of when I can sometimes summon players to aid me versus when I can't. For example, upon arriving to a boss fight area the first time, I saw a bunch of summon signs. But I wanted to try the boss first on my own. Naturally, I got pummeled and died. Upon returning to the boss to try again, I expected to take advantage of the summon signs to get a little help only to find that no summon signs were available. I guess it's possible that everyone had been summoned by the time I got back. But this has happened a few times now.

-Not really a 'Con' but so far the areas have all seemed Closterphobic. Looking forward to some areas that are a little more open. Crucifixion Woods is getting there in that department. Perhaps more will come later.

At this point I'm completely addicted. Having a lot of fun exploring and trying out new weapons and armor to see what works well.

Back
Top Bottom