Dark Souls 3 - PC Performance Breakdown

How does this play on KB-M vs controller? Lack of good KB-M support is the main reasons I haven't played any of the souls game yet.

I'm playing with KB/M and having a great time. The mouse tracking is superb (meaning that it's smooth and linear, without any acceleration to eff things up) and the keybindings are fully configurable. (Yes, the key prompts are all XBox-controller-specific, but my actual gamepad - a PS4 controller - is equally excluded by this, so it's not a keyboard-specific problem for me.)

I had two challenges with the default controls: mouse sens didn't go nearly low enough (even at 0, my aim was flying all over the screen), and I was getting inconsistent responsiveness with kicking and jump-attacking (which require simultaneous keypresses in the default control scheme). I never found the settings files to address #1 in-game, so I had to install Logitech's mouse software and adjust my mouse DPI dynamically; with that approach, sensitivity is pretty much perfect and mouse tracking is very smooth. As for #2, I rebound "Strong Attack" to my thumb button, which streamlined my controls from 3 maximum simultaneous keypresses down to 2. Voila, issue solved. Now this almost feels like a native PC game.

Don't let DS elitists tell you that KB/M is terribad and these games were only meant for controller. It really comes down to whichever control scheme is more comfortable and effective for you. I've played a lot of console games, so I'm reasonably comfortable with a gamepad - but I'm really much better with KB/M, as I used to compete in PC shooters. KB/M works great in DS3 once you get the initial settings dialed in. (And it's arguably superior if you plan to use bows - DS3 has increased the usefulness of archery, and the superior aim of a PC mouse means that I can peek-snipe at other ranged attackers from waaaaay beyond the lock-on range.)

So how does this one compare to earlier incarnations? Better than Demon Souls, DS 1 and 2?

So far, I'm enjoying it more than DSII. The combat is faster and the levels are more interestingly laid out. I don't feel I've played it long enough to say how it stacks up against DSI. The later levels and interconnectivity of DSI will take some beating! I didn't play demons souls so can't comment on that one.

(Yes, the key prompts are all XBox-controller-specific, but my actual gamepad - a PS4 controller - is equally excluded by this, so it's not a keyboard-specific problem for me.)

There are mods that replace the Xbox icons with either keyboard or PS3/PS4 icons, so that's really a non-issue. Even unmodded though I never had any problems using a PS3 controller which I prefer over Xbox.

Would you recommend Luck to a Knight class? I have 7 right now but putting most of my souls into getting more HP. I have picked up quite few loot so far with Luck at 7 but I am not sure how good any of them are.
As far as drops go, most your itemfind will come from the ring or random mimic hat drop (which luck will help get, but so will rusted coins).

While I do use a few bleeding weapons, I haven't gotten around to trying a luck build for them. Luck is supposed to effect bleeding/poison damage and with 7 luck I've never seen my bleeding proc in PvP before the host was dead from normal damage. I suppose if it did +1 bleed per point and most weapons status is about "33" buildup you could just about double your bleeding buildup from 40 luck…. But I'm still feeling like the physical resists I'd get from extra VIT and STR would make me a tougher fighter.

Tbh I am finding that shield block seems to be not that great. Its seems better to roll and avoid damage than block. If I am lucky and roll behind the mob, I can get some nice big hits on them. For example, if I block Lothric knights with my shield, they can easy to break through it and stun lock me but if I get luck with nice timed roll and get behind them I can easily kill them with 2 or 3 hits. So I am just wondering what is the point of shield, heavy armour in this game?
A shields Stability value does a LOT. Theres a huge difference between 50 and 60. That said, you should use the shield as a dodge "insurance", of sorts. Keep your shield up but try to dodge and if you're too slow on the dodge at least you blocked. That's a big-guys tactic. You can block rats and rogues to stun them long enough to get a hit in.

The aim of your armour is to save you a tiny amount of damage, leaving you on a tiny amount of hitpoints, but not dead. Like when you attack a monster and you do 2 hits and he has a sliver of healthbar left. A +1 to your weapon would have killed him in 2 and most your 3rd hits damage is wasted.
Also why do you need to say under 25% equip load?
You need to stay under 70%
The lighter you are from there gives you longer dodge rolls and a tiny bit more stamina regen, less fall damage, less sound made walking.

Thrasher said:
So how does this one compare to earlier incarnations? Better than Demon Souls, DS 1 and 2?
It's got a strong singleplayer but weak multiplayer.

Without the dedicated servers of DS2, it's back to needing to forward ports and all that. It plays awful with international ping. I've been unable to play with two USA mates I played DS2 with from start to finish without issue. The covenants are fairly bland, two are identical. (blue sentinels and darkmoon blades exactly the same!) The invasions always pit you 1vs3. There's no PVP arena.

It also crashes pretty often if you don't have a 900gtx and want to run high detail. You'll have to turn lighting, motion blur and shadows all right down, even though it appears to run fine, to avoid it crashing.

ALSO, NG+ has been very disappointing, so far. Nothing seems to have changed but a few +1 rings. DS2 had far better NG+, multiplayer, covenants.... Endgame?

Last edited:
It also crashes pretty often if you don't have a 900gtx and want to run high detail. You'll have to turn lighting, motion blur and shadows all right down, even though it appears to run fine, to avoid it crashing

I can't quibble with the rest of your complaints - you seem more experienced with the series than I. But your statement about performance isn't universal by any stretch. I've put in about 30 hours so far, and I've had exactly one crash - and that was after alt-tabbing back and forth repeatedly. My system is 2.5 years old (GTX 780 Ti), and I'm running on all High settings (except textures at Max and Motion Blur totally turned off, because that's just irritating) with smooth framerates. The only choppiness so far was when fighting Vordt, likely due to the frost effects.

Last edited:
Does your health get reduced if you die and re-spawn? It looks like I have some how lost some HP...

Does your health get reduced if you die and re-spawn? It looks like I have some how lost some HP…

Yes - you can regain the health by using an ember though I think.

Does your health get reduced if you die and re-spawn? It looks like I have some how lost some HP…

You lose the "Embered" characteristic when you die. When Embered, you have higher health and can summon other players and NPCs into your world, but you can also be invaded by hostile players (and NPCs in some areas).

If you die when un-Embered (i.e., when "normal"), you don't lose anything except the Souls you were carrying (and you can recover those, of course).

I had my own duh moment when I realized that all of those secondary weapons I equiped into backup slots were contributing to my weight load even when I wasn't using them. Unequiping all my excess weapons free'd up a huge amount of weight and allowed me to significantly upgrade my armor.

Wow the cathedral ward requires much patience. Lots of enemies.

I have about 50 hours now between the PC and ps4 version. I'm playing the ps4 version much more just because my 2 brothers also have ps4. After an extended time on the ps4 version the graphical difference between it and the PC version is pretty noticeable.

My thoughts so far:

- doesn't seem to be as many souls as previous games. Even mini bosses don't seem to drop much and I even have a ring that boosts soul drops. Not sure if it's true or just bad memory.

+ really like that there's a lot of mini bosses and 1 on 1 fights. I thought DS2 focused too much on mobs.

- don't like that dex builds feel very weak. I've had this complaint in every version though. The game is much easier tanking with a shield than try to go minimalist and dodge with light weapons.

- never thought I'd say it but I like the speed of bloodborne combat better. As I said I like dex builds to maximize speed but I consistently run in to enemies that are much faster than me. I can still figure out there moves and defeat them but in bloodborne I felt with the right build I could match the fastest enemies speed. In DS3 I feel like no matter what my build I'll be much slower.

- hit boxes need some work. I've had enemies facing a different direction and it still hits me. Also my sword will clang against a wall and the enemies will clip right through it and hit me. This isn't new to dark souls series though.

+ seems to be many more weapons this time around to purchase and find.

+- while enemy variation seems plentiful many of them fight similarly. They're very fast and smother you even larger enemies you'd expect to be slower. Not many plodding brutes.

+- jury's still out on exploration. It seems there's not as many things tucked away in remote corners. I'll find a tiny little alcove only to follow it and find it empty. Also in my 50 hours I've only found 1 breakable wall. Not sure if there's just not a lot of hidden stuff or if it's just very well hidden.:)

--- multiplayer is still a mess. Get dedicated servers, drop the soap signs, have a pvp arena and maps, have drop in, drop out co-op. COME ON, FROM!!!!

Overall really enjoying it. It's a bit sad that most of my niggles about the game have persisted the entire series. Seems from doesn't find them as change worthy as I do.

That's my thoughts off the top of my head I'm sure I'm forgetting things bul i'll add more as I remember.

I had my own duh moment when I realized that all of those secondary weapons I equiped into backup slots were contributing to my weight load even when I wasn't using them. Unequiping all my excess weapons free'd up a huge amount of weight and allowed me to significantly upgrade my armor.

Haha thanks for that. I also thought that only the current weapons mattered towards weight load.

--- multiplayer is still a mess. Get dedicated servers, drop the soap signs, have a pvp arena and maps, have drop in, drop out co-op. COME ON, FROM!!!!
How can that be a tripleminus?
The good old way to turn babies away from the bottle is to sour the milk.
Namco wants you to drop MMO crap and play singleplayers. That's IMO triple plus.

I've now done several boss fights without using target lock-on, and KB/M has performed flawlessly (even tho the game's camera still sucks, even without lock-on…sigh). In fact, it was so seamless the first time that I didn't realize I'd gone target-less until after I defeated the boss (the Curse-Rotted Greatwood).

I still use target lock for pretty much every normal enemy, but KB/M is totally usable with either approach.

I'm guessing you mean all of the weapons in the quick slots - the ones you can switch to on the fly? Bummer for me that I'm heavily using katana, bow, and sorcery - going single-weapon would cut down my equip load by about 10%.

Yeah the quick slots. I unequipped my bow when I learned that, I rarely use it anyway and I can always re-equip it if there is something I want to shoot. I also got rid of the polearm that I never use. I kept my miracle and pyromancy items, I think they are light.

I'm guessing you mean all of the weapons in the quick slots - the ones you can switch to on the fly? Bummer for me that I'm heavily using katana, bow, and sorcery - going single-weapon would cut down my equip load by about 10%.

Yay I killed the second boss. He is lot easier than the first and some of the trash. I managed to get behind him for most of the fight and I didn't even have to use a heal potion!

Did anyone managed to kill the red eyed Knight close to the second boss? He was really hard.

Also how do you sneak up one mobs as a Knight? Can you even do it? Or is that only for thief like classes?

Yay I killed the second boss. He is lot easier than the first and some of the trash. I managed to get behind him for most of the fight and I didn't even have to use a heal potion!

Did anyone managed to kill the red eyed Knight close to the second boss? He was really hard.

Also how do you sneak up one mobs as a Knight? Can you even do it? Or is that only for thief like classes?

All classes can backstab. Noise matters though when sneaking up on an enemy so if your clanging around in heavy platemail then it will be much harder to land a backstab. Also you can't backstab with your shield raised and some armor prevent backstabs so you will just do a normal attack even if your in position for a backstab fif your enemy is wearing one of those armors.

I killed the knight your referring to and I suspect he's wearing armor that prevents backstabs as I've never been able to land one on him in several attempts.

I managed to backstab the red eyed knight twice, it can be done.
I didn't manage to kill him though. I was sooooo close on my second attempt, but then he hit me with the stamina draining shield bash and proceded to completely tank me whilst my dude was staggered. Just thinking about it makes me grind me teeth with frustration. Bloody Dark Souls :)

Back
Top Bottom