Does the environment affect ones sexuality?

You are probably right in this regard. I hate that sort of behaviour. It makes no sense to me that a person would deliberately talk and act that that. Same goes for women too.

So you just hate people because they behave differently than you ?

I am not interested in what people do in their private residences, but I believe anti-sodomy laws have a purpose not to hasten the fall of nations into moral decay. This is not exclusively for homosexuals only, it is true for heterosexuals as well. Unless they would do crazy acts in public I fail to see how it would lead to this.

I would however want to see them used to get all gay saunas closed and the people patronizing them prosecuted if they persist in frequenting them, since they are hotbeds for STDs and reckless sexual behavior.

Yeah, laws don't work like that. Anti-sodomy laws would apply within private residences too and like Ripper is saying, you are criminalising and marginalising people for behaviour you are "not interested in their private residences"

So if you are not interested in what people do, then why would you criminalise someone's behaviour !

That is why i am asking the question. It seems artificial to me. A learned behavior to act in a way that society deems homosexuals to act like.

Yeah, laws don't work like that. Anti-sodomy laws would apply within private residences too and like Ripper is saying, you are criminalising and marginalising people for behaviour you are "not interested in their private residences"

So if you are not interested in what people do, then why would you criminalise someone's behaviour !

The difference is that no one goes into private residences to bust people who engage in these acts, but anti-sodomy laws gave the state the legal standing to dismantle public places like gay saunas and to support traditional marriage, as before the Lawrence vs. Texas SCOTUS decision same sex marriage lacked the legal standing to be legitmised.

There are forms of intercourse which are still illegal, like certain forms of BDSM. So it is not far fetched to put a line somewhere, even though people will go past it. Even if consensual adults are involved some acts are discouraged. And if you state that the state has no right to legislate what happens between consenting adults, then it means you have no right to legislate against any consensual behavior involving adults like incest or bigamy (this is not equating homosexuality to these acts, this is just to show a point).

That is why i am asking the question. It seems artificial to me. A learned behavior to act in a way that society deems homosexuals to act like.

Almost every behaviour is learnt.
What's your point then ? That people should unlearn what they've learnt ?

Or are you just saying you hate a certain type of behaviour because men do it ?
Do you hate machismo behaviour too ? Or is it just "gay" behaviour you have a problem with ?

Is it just another way for you to rationalise why hating gay people is alright maybe ?
Because they "behave in an unreasonable way" ?

Note that on top of all this gay people do not all behave the same way.

The difference is that no one goes into private residences to bust people who engage in these acts, but anti-sodomy laws gave the state the legal standing to dismantle public places like gay saunas and to support traditional marriage, as before the Lawrence vs. Texas SCOTUS decision same sex marriage lacked the legal standing to be legitmised.

There are forms of intercourse which are still illegal, like certain forms of BDSM. So it is not far fetched to put a line somewhere, even though people will go past it. Even if consensual adults are involved some acts are discouraged. And if you state that the state has no right to legislate what happens between consenting adults, then it means you have no right to legislate against any consensual behavior involving adults like incest or bigamy (this is not equating homosexuality to these acts, this is just to show a point).

Yes, and I think bigamy in itself should not be illegal by the state, unless it can be proven to be harmful to people.

Incest is a more difficult matter as babies born from incestuous relationships are more likely to develop genetical diseases.

So the point remains, you are making something illegal, which is private.
What if you were told it's illegal to have sex in any other position than missionary? Why, because some people find it offensive that you don't look straight into your partner's eyes and that it would result in the breakdown of marriages.

Do you think that's something the state should dictate ?

Almost every behaviour is learnt.
What's your point then ? That people should unlearn what they've learnt ?

Or are you just saying you hate a certain type of behaviour because men do it ?
Do you hate machismo behaviour too ? Or is it just "gay" behaviour you have a problem with ?

Is it just another way for you to rationalise why hating gay people is alright maybe ?
Because they "behave in an unreasonable way" ?

Note that on top of all this gay people do not all behave the same way.

There are behavior that is controlled by media and society I dont like those. That said i do hate machismo behaviour too. I also hate it when women do it too.

I dont hate gay people or anyone for that matter even Hitler, i hate behaviours. I hate "irrational behaviours".

There are behavior that is controlled by media and society I dont like those. That said i do hate machismo behaviour too. I also hate it when women do it too.

I dont hate gay people or anyone for that matter even Hitler, i hate behaviours. I hate "irrational behaviours".

I guess that you're going to be hating a lot of behaviours then...

Yes, ok, we've established it's all about hate, blah blah, it's appalling, bla bla, we've heard this go around millions of times on the internet and in the media (even though in a lot of cases, it's not hate, but the media has coined the word HATE for this specific subject to try and shame those that have any sort of opposing opinion). But nobody has yet answer the question that Damian is asking...

Why do some act this way? Is it genetic? Is it a hormone side-effect? And why does Hollywood and the media, being one of the most pro-gay entities, portray this on a regular basis?

Yes, ok, we've established it's all about hate, blah blah, it's appalling, bla bla, we've heard this go around millions of times on the internet and in the media (even though in a lot of cases, it's not hate, but the media has coined the word HATE for this specific subject to try and shame those that have any sort of opposing opinion). But nobody has yet answer the question that Damian is asking…

Why do some act this way? Is it genetic? Is it a hormone side-effect? And why does Hollywood and the media, being one of the most pro-gay entities, portray this on a regular basis?

Behaviour can be learnt or inherited.

Some are due to genetics, others are due to social norms.

If you see a group of people together, they often share the same types of behaviours.

In my understanding, some gay people behave as the opposite sex (which is what I assume you and Damian are referring to) as that is what they most closely identify towards.

In the same way people raised in a bad neighbourhood will often be aggressive as that is one of the only ways "to survive" in those areas.

Also, Hollywood probably does not portray gay people like that as often as you might think and you are likely biased towards only seeing those cases in your mind as they reflect stronger in you.

However, it is likely that is more than it "should" be for the simple case of stereotypes. Just as other groups are often portrayed in their own stereotypical way.

There are multitudes of examples to this. Damian and you have just picked on one.

Behaviour can be learnt or inherited.

Some are due to genetics, others are due to social norms.

If you see a group of people together, they often share the same types of behaviours.

In my understanding, some gay people behave as the opposite sex (which is what I assume you and Damian are referring to) as that is what they most closely identify towards.

In the same way people raised in a bad neighbourhood will often be aggressive as that is one of the only ways "to survive" in those areas.

Also, Hollywood probably does not portray gay people like that as often as you might think and you are likely biased towards only seeing those cases in your mind as they reflect stronger in you.

However, it is likely that is more than it "should" be for the simple case of stereotypes. Just as other groups are often portrayed in their own stereotypical way.

There are multitudes of examples to this. Damian and you have just picked on one.

Really? Hollywood doesnt present gay people in such a way most of the time? There is probably only one show on tv that is scripted that doesnt show them this way.

Yes i am fully aware fo what you wrote. What shows have lisping flamboyant gay people an which ones dont?

Freud said it best, "The only abnormal sexual behaviour is none at all".

And the only reasonable criteria for judging other's sexual behaviour is whether it does harm to anyone else.

The aim of this thread is to contend that if people aren't "born gay", then it must be a choice, and therefore open to condemnation and reform.

I'm six foot two. I wasn't born six foot two, as my mother will attest. I was born with the genetic potential to be six foot two, but many other factors contributed to ensuring that I reached that height. Short of some fairly drastic surgery, I'll probably stay that way now.

Off the top of my head I can think of two already (Brothers and Sisters and Six Feet Under) and there may be many more, so that already counters your point of :

There is probably only one show on tv that is scripted that doesnt show them this way.

However, not only do I not watch every show out there, like I said your bias will not let you remember things that you feel are familiar to you.
That's the way the world works.

People often talk about this coincidence of how odd it is when they speak about someone and they just so happen to call the same day.

People don't realise that all the other time you spoke about someone and they didn't call.

Back
Top Bottom