Elminage Gothic - A Fluent Let's Play

Fluent: Only the Servant can make herbs into potions. If you don't have a servant you're better of not picking up herbs. They are just a waste of inventory space, and you don't get money out of them if you have to pay to identify them (which you do unless you have a Bishop). Alchemists can use ores to enchant or make magic items.

Hmm, interesting. I figured an Alchemist could brew potions with the right skill, but I guess not! I have been using the ore to enchant my weapons and armor so far.

Good news, everyone! Episode 4 is live! In this episode I start realizing just how challenging, punishing, and downright cruel this game can be! o_o

Important questions will be answered, like -

Will I run out of Magic Maps and be lost forever?
Will I ever make it out of the Great Tree?
Why won't female centaurs talk nicely to me?
And most importantly, who the HECK would EVER harvest viscous, black "tree sap" with wriggling insects squirming around in it?!? Yuck!!

Episode 4! Enjoy! :biggrin:

Back again with Episode 6!

In this episode I do a lot of wonderful exploration of Dezaporlia Tunnel. I find the switches to unlock some doors, give some guy with a burning throat dirty water to drink, and generally have a good old time exploring this intricate dungeon! Check it out if you have some spare time. Thanks! =)

2 new exciting episodes are live! Check 'em out!

Episode 7. In this episode I find some cool stuff in Dezaporlia Tunnel, such as Door City (tm), an underground lake and a bunch of new enemies that pose some serious threats!

Episode 8. In this episode I explore the underground lake further and run into a vicious boss monster that is part of the main quest! Will I be victorious? Check it out and see! This is the first real boss monster I've fought in the game and it does NOT disappoint!

Hope some of you check this game out soon if you haven't already. It's such a wonderful, beautiful, dark and surreal gem. I'm loving it. :nod:

@forgottenlor, I have some questions that I hope you can answer, and I wanted to ask in this thread for the benefit of anyone else who is playing or had the same questions.

About class change. I'm level 10 and have some options now. I'm curious, can I level a new class up and then switch back to my old class, retaining the benefits and extra skill from the new class? o_O

Example: I can change my Cleric to a Summoner. Can I level the Summoner class up a few levels to get the spells and bonuses of that class, and then switch back to Cleric later and retain all that stuff?

What exactly do you retain when you change classes? I would love to experiment a bit here. Here are my thoughts.

I'd like to change my Alchemist to a Valkyrie (at level 11, because I need one more point in Agility to be able to switch. This would give me a much-needed 3rd melee attacker in my party.)

I would also like to change my Cleric to a Summoner, which I can do right now, in order to learn some summons or whatever type of magic summoning offers. It seems like an interesting class choice and could benefit my party big-time. Reading your post, though, suggests I need to level my Cleric up to 15 at least to get access to all the best spells of her class.

Lastly, I'd like to change my Mage to a Bishop, simply to have the ability to identify items, so I can identify them without losing money and also start turning a profit on pretty much all '?' items. But as you said, later Wizard spells are necessary, so maybe I could level the Bishop up a few levels then switch to level up Wizard some more, and then back again later? Would that be efficient?

All 3 of the main classes are level 10 right now.

So, more tips on this aspect of the game would be great.

The class change options in this game add a whole new level of depth, strategy and fun to the game. Seems like you can make a really interesting blend of characters.

Back again with some new stuff!

Guys and gals, this game is *amazing*. It's my first Wizardry-style dungeon-crawler and I'm loving every punishing second of it! If you thought Dark Souls was hard, you clearly haven't played Elminage Gothic. =D

Here are some new videos to check out. Check out the awesome boss battle and how I handled it! A little strategy goes a long way in the tougher fights, that's for sure!

Episode 9 - In this video I do battle with my arch-nemesis! Watch and see how it turns out. :)

Episode 10 - Oh, yes! This is a great episode for many reasons, so make sure to check it out!! :)

Awesome game! Ciao! =)

Plays much better with a controller by the way.

Plays much better with a controller by the way.

I disagree. It functions 100% fine, fast and efficient with a keyboard. Just don't use the mouse at all, and re-map a few keys to make it easier for your left hand to stay on W A S D, and it will be awesome to use.

Re-map Esc to Tab, and you'll be on your way to playing with the keyboard and having a great experience. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I disagree. It functions 100% fine, fast and efficient with a keyboard. Just don't use the mouse at all, and re-map a few keys to make it easier for your left hand to stay on W A S D, and it will be awesome to use.

Re-map Esc to Tab, and you'll be on your way to playing with the keyboard and having a great experience. :thumbsup:

Still I think you are wrong.

rune, I don't know how long you've played the game for, but I've played it for 30 hours using just a keyboard and mouse. For about 20 of those hours I used the mouse as well, until finally realizing that all it really does is slow things down and get in the way. Once I re-mapped the keys to all be WASD-friendly (such as Back and Pause set to Tab, Camp set to C, Info set to F, Map set to R, Select set to Spacebar), the game controls not only well, but better than most games that utilize mouse and keyboard!

The key here is just forgetting about using the mouse. There is no need for it. The game functions just fine using a keyboard as the main input.

The controls honestly could not even be better at this point if they tried. I literally fly around these screens and do everything I need to do in a few seconds flat most of the time. :)

Last edited:
rune, I don't know how long you've played the game for, but I've played it for 30 hours using just a keyboard and mouse. For about 20 of those hours I used the mouse as well, until finally realizing that all it really does is slow things down and get in the way. Once I re-mapped the keys to all be WASD-friendly (such as Back and Pause set to Tab, Camp set to C, Info set to F, Map set to R, Select set to Spacebar), the game controls not only well, but better than most games that utilize mouse and keyboard!

The key here is just forgetting about using the mouse. There is no need for it. The game functions just fine using a keyboard as the main input.

The controls honestly could not even be better at this point if they tried. I literally fly around these screens and do everything I need to do in a few seconds flat most of the time. :)

I get that, but I note you didn't say you tried a controller. I have done both. It is nicer to play with a controller and easier, which isn't a bad thing and I thought it was actually kind of nice that way. If you have a gamepad try it.

rune, I would try it but I don't have a controller at the moment. Yet I don't see how the controls could be better when they are already the best after you re-map keys. :)

I think you should have spent more time with the keyboard controls and you'd see what I mean. :)

Last edited:
rune, I would try it but I don't have a controller at the moment. Yet I don't see how the controls could be better when they are already the best after you re-map keys. :)

I think you should have spent more time with the keyboard controls and you'd see what I mean. :)

All I know is I used both, and it felt much more comfortable with the controller. I guess you can't compare without a controller.

How much time did you spend with the keyboard and mouse controls before switching? 5 minutes? 5 hours? 5 seconds? o_O And did you re-map any keys?

Try the setup I've outlined in this thread and you'll see how nice it feels with a keyboard and mouse. I wouldn't give up WASD controls for a controller for this game, but that's just me.

How much time did you spend with the keyboard and mouse controls before switching? 5 minutes? 5 hours? 5 seconds? o_O And did you re-map any keys?

Try the setup I've outlined in this thread and you'll see how nice it feels with a keyboard and mouse. I wouldn't give up WASD controls for a controller for this game, but that's just me.

I'm just saying if you never tried you really aren't speaking as an authority on this.

All I'm saying is that the keyboard controls are excellent. Take that for what it's worth. :)

Based upon this thread and HiddenX' descriptor of "Wizardry-clone", I bought this off Steam over the weekend and took a dip in for a bit, keen for some classic dungeon crawling, turn based/party based action.

I've quickly discovered that whilst there are quirks present with the default controls (they are mildly clunky and mostly perfunctory), one is still easily able to reconfigure to one's comfort and readily adapt. Having played and completed the first Might and Magic on PC using keyboard, I'm happy enough to do this.

I went with a fairly standard first party: Fighter, Hunter, Thief, Bard, Cleric, Wizard.
I'm only a couple of hours in at level 3-4 and don't generally play these jRPG-tinged games but I can definitely envisage myself getting sucked into this in bursts as winter approaches. :)

Awesome, Pessimeister! Welcome to the club. :party:

Your party sounds good! Hopefully the Hunter can deal some nice damage to be your secondary attacker, and make sure to equip the Thief with a Shortbow if you put him in the back line, as well as giving the Wizard a whip (which won't be incredibly useful, but he will hit once in awhile with it.).

You might want to consider moving the Cleric into the front line and the Thief to the back, since Thief is good with a ranged weapon and Clerics can use heavier armor, absorb more damage and generally have more HP. They aren't terribly useful as melee fighters, but a front-line Cleric is good for a Defend command once in awhile when necessary.

The game is phenomenal, in my opinion. I haven't played any Wizardry games yet, but this is certainly a deep, rewarding and challenging dungeon-crawler RPG. You just have to stick with it and it rewards you greatly for your time and patience invested in it.

Again, my advice is to ditch the mouse altogether. Re-map the Esc key buttons to Tab and you are well on your way to playing comfortably and effectively with your left hand using the keyboard only. :)

Enjoy! I look forward to hearing about your adventures! =)

Back
Top Bottom