Fallout 3 - Details Emerge

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Well, with July's Game Informer reaching a few people, Fallout 3 details are starting to emerge. Briosafreak's excellent Fallout 3 blog has picked up a post from a member of the NeoGAF forums that seems a good summary and most of the details are corroborated by short articles at CVG and Joystiq so let's run with that:
The article is based on an hour long demo GI was given. I’ll list the high points
- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.
- Game starts with your birth and your mother’s death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.
- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled “You’re Special” which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You’ll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older and take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.
- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.
- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. “While you’ll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure”. Battle system still uses action points, but once you’ve used them up you’ll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.
- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy’s head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.
- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.
- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.
- Karma system returns[…]
-Yeah once you’re in the V.A.T.S. system every combat move you make uses AP. The amount of AP is based on your agility rating. So things like targeting specific areas etc use AP. Also things like distance etc factor into your hit % while you’re in the V.A.T.S. system.
At least that’s how it reads.[…]
-Yeah the article is chock full of screens, but I can’t post them =(
They have some really great environment shots, Some screens of the inside of Vault 101, and a really awesome shot of a first person encounter with a super mutant and another where the main character has a weapon called “The Fatman” which is a handheld nuclear catapult.
Think post apocalyptic oblivion and you’re right about there in terms of graphics.[…]
-It seems that outside of the VATS system everything is real time. The only time the game pauses is when you enter the VATS system and start using AP and issuing commands. The article doesn’t really say much more than that, but they do say that the game is geared more towards a role-playing turn based style as opposed to a twitch gaming style of play.
-It doesn’t say anything specifically about party members, but there’s a section that talks about how integral NPC’s are to the game, and that a lot of the progress in the game will be made via quests.
EDIT. A little caption under a screen shot says you’ll be able to hire henchmen to help you out but this is definitely not a party based game. Also Bethesda confirms that there’ll be a dog in the game.
-As a matter of fact they do. The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.
Also, I just read a little caption.
Level cap is 20.
Definite ending to the game, but there are 9 - 12 possible endings.
-It is XP based. Most of your XP comes from quests.[…]
More information.

Ha ha, I already posted this:)

I know ... we need to start discussing it here - maybe someone can merge the info from the other thread in here?

You're right, it needs to be in this forum. I would have placed it here to begin with if I had the access.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy’s head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

boy, I hope we get a chance to turn this off like we did with the first two. I'm getting less and less thrilled about this game.

1. I'm at work. Different timezones. ;)
2. I know it's a bit of a vague line but I don't generally link straight to scans of new magazine articles. I don't mind it being in the forums (and it's here now - and thanks :) ) but I probably won't do an "official" news post.

----------

So, about the game...

I need to see this VATS thing in action to understand it properly.

I have to admit, some of those scans look promising. Of course, we won't know about the actual gameplay for a long time.

You should see the reaction on NMA, they are acting like the world is over! Lot's of "Oblivion with guns" when it looks like nothing of the sorts....

You should see the reaction on NMA, they are acting like the world is over! Lot's of "Oblivion with guns" when it looks like nothing of the sorts....

Well a lot of it is the dissapointement with the perspective and the combat system I am sure. They made it clear all along that that is a gamebreaker for many of them. If the stuff on choice and consequences, better NPCs, and multiple endings turns out true, then it would be quite a positive surprise, for me personally.
The chargen intro sequence sounds a bit gimmicky and silly though, as does the nuclear catapult. Environment screens look good.

-It doesn’t say anything specifically about party members, but there’s a section that talks about how integral NPC’s are to the game, and that a lot of the progress in the game will be made via quests.
EDIT. A little caption under a screen shot says you’ll be able to hire henchmen to help you out but this is definitely not a party based game. Also Bethesda confirms that there’ll be a dog in the game.

That was the most vital part for me and it seems they skipped it :(

That the game will feature nine-twelve endings is good news however.

Yah, well, we all know how thrilled NMA has been about the whole project. Once more, I can't believe how someone in this day and age can have been thinking it might be isometric and turn-based.

If the game turns out like what the article promises (genuinely branching questlines, moral choices with consequences, NPC's that are characters with some depth rather than painted stick quest-o-mats) I will be very impressed indeed. (OTOH Bethsoft made Radiant AI sound really impressive too, when in reality it turned out to be... not quite.)

I'm not sure I like the sound of the slo-mo gore, though. Having ridiculously huge explosions of blood 'n guts lovingly rendered in 640 x 480 cartoon sprites is funny; having the same lovingly rendered in photorealistic 3D is a different matter. In poor taste, perhaps.

Come to think of it, this is the second preview I've read recently where I've been nodding sagely at all the right noises it makes only to suddenly hit a note that jars.

"Targeted for the adult gamer, mm-hm, moral choices, yup, ambiguity, uh-huh, branching storylines, nice, multiple character development choices, great, many solutions to quests, good, collect naughty postcards by seducing wenches... uh, what?"

Game Informer said:
Once you complete all your actions in V.A.T.S. you can continue to attack in real time, but this will dramatically slow the recharge of your action points, thereby encouraging tactical targeting over constant twitch shooting.
If AP recharge really gets "dramatically slower" when you attack in real time, you won't be able to switch between the two attack modes continuously. You'll either play it as an FPS, with occasional pausing for special attacks, or you'll use AP attacks exclusively. You'll move and dodge in real time but you won't have to aim if you don't want to.

Edit: Although I have no idea why you'd allow a die roll to decide the outcome of an action when you could use your own skill.

To be honest (*ducks to avoid stones*) I'm glad they're doing it in first person. I've always wondered what it would be like to explore in Fallout using a FPS view. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off successfully, but if they do, the game should be incredible.

The only drawback about first-person is obviously you're not going to have direct control over the npc's\henchmen that are helping you, but we didn't have that ability in FO1 or 2 anyways. I wonder if they're going to incorporate some type of squad based command system to be able to give simple orders to your henchmen.

Overall it feels like a fallout unlike the trailer which let me totally cold. the signs of hype infection are all over me...hurry I must repeat "radian a.i, radian a.i, radiant a.i..." Ah now feeling better..emm what was I saying. Oh yes. if the stuff about moral choises and consequences, quality dialog&npcs, different endings and other old school stuff are true, then i'm a happy gamer.

And what comes to NMA..did anyone honestly expect any other reaction from them? I mean even if it had been isometric and turn-based they would have found something to whine nonetheless. Its a circle that has no end. =)

And my opinion.. It will be intresting to see how fallout works from 1:st person.. Regarding the new combat system, Not much can be told yet. Obviously we all are so used to old system and thus can't imagine anything replacing it. I'll judge it when i play it.

If AP recharge really gets "dramatically slower" when you attack in real time, you won't be able to switch between the two attack modes continuously. You'll either play it as an FPS, with occasional pausing for special attacks, or you'll use AP attacks exclusively. You'll move and dodge in real time but you won't have to aim if you don't want to.

Edit: Although I have no idea why you'd allow a die roll to decide the outcome of an action when you could use your own skill.

How about if your skill sucks at RT combat? I don't have fast reaction times, I play slowly and thoughtfully. By the time I react to something, my character is frequently dead!! TB suits me perfectly, FPS arcade games don't!!

How about if your skill sucks at RT combat? I don't have fast reaction times, I play slowly and thoughtfully. By the time I react to something, my character is frequently dead!! TB suits me perfectly, FPS arcade games don't!!

Don't worry, Corwin. It's Bethesda. They got this fancy old person mode that can be enabled by pulling the difficulty slider all the way to the left so you can 1-hit kill every enemy :biggrin: .

@Corwin, why not practice some real-time combat? Get a nice shooter like Half-Life 2 and have at it. It's not that hard, it's fun, and nobody's forcing you to play in Combat God difficulty. "Easy" is there for a reason, and it doesn't always equate to "boring."

Hey, it's my age, not desire!! My reflexes are just not up to it!! I'm RETIRED, work it out!!!! I don't react quickly, and I hate playing on easy mode!!!!

Back
Top Bottom