Fallout 3 - Details Emerge

With the way people are complaining about the combat system it is like they said that the combat system is just a rt /w p[ause and they didn't say that and they didn't really explain how V.A.T.S. works and just said that you could use V.A.T.S. to pause the game and use abilities and go back to realtime. That could be just what they said and they could be just ignoring anything turn-based since they think it world turn their readership off from the article.

I'm sorry to maybe burst your bubble here, I have just one thing to say:

- remember that Beth said exactly the same thing (or nearly) before Oblivion was released?? They said there would be many ways to solve quests - not true....

And what's with the cave in to action fans?? Exploding heads in bullet time (slow motion) ?? I don't want exploding heads. I want genuine quests that affect the environment, a decent story that has an interesting main quest, and some excellent, creative misc (side) quests. The 7 primary skills are taken directly from TES and such warrant the comment 'oblivion with guns'. And the whole disappearing father thing is really so overdone. And sound a lot like a certain movie series with ewoks and stuff (yes, star wars: i'm looking at you )

As for the ccombat....well... to me, at least, it sound like Bethsoft has made a choice to make a hybrid between TB and RT combat, hence no fans of either genre will be satisfied.

so... its a shooter. not a surprice, but wtf does that have to do with fallout or rpgs ?!? the only people i see liking this is the fps shitbox kiddies and they should stay the fuck away from my fallout !!

Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind were hailed as RPGs of the century then Oblivion comes out and suddenly Bethesda sucks. They tried something different with Oblivion and it did work out that well, that's all.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Watchman said:
When shitbox users starts to be able to pirate, this moneytrain will hit the dirt. Meaby then we can get some devs. that actually care about gaming quality and not just mainstreaming everything into nobrain kiddie mode.
The Watchman said:
Success ?!? Treating customers like shit is a succes ? uh bugger what am i saying, beth got a new playerbase of shitbox morons who buy anything shiny. Sorry you are right, what a success, lets all solute a company thats dumbing down the genre we love (you are right from a business pov though, but im not gonna cheer at some greedy idiots).
The Watchman said:
So people are idiots for not buying PR bullshit ?!? /shrug. Meaby people wouldnt go ape over it if Pete wasnt as usual BSing around, heck people might even look forward to it if Beth wasnt notorious for dumbing down their games for braindead shitbox users.
The Watchman said:
Perfect rpg... my god, what kind of moron do you need to be to even state that. This is not even a rpg, its a kiddie game that handhold you so much, a person with an iq over 20 will puke. No wonder gaming gets worse and worse when it needs to cater to retards.
The Watchman said:
Music would be fine alot of places, but not Fallout. Not shocked though, theres 0.00001% i will like the kiddie shitbox fallout bethelda is making anyway.
The Watchman said:
so... its a shooter. not a surprice, but wtf does that have to do with fallout or rpgs ?!? the only people i see liking this is the fps shitbox kiddies and they should stay the fuck away from my fallout !!

Say something intelligent.

@Corwin -- If you react quickly enough to be able to drive a car, you ought to be able to react quickly enough to play a shooter. It's not so much about reaction speed anyway as it is about motor control. What's wrong with playing on easy anyway?

I'm sorry to maybe burst your bubble here, I have just one thing to say:

- remember that Beth said exactly the same thing (or nearly) before Oblivion was released?? They said there would be many ways to solve quests - not true....

Not quite. They said very little about these things at all, and the little we heard was pulled out of their noses in fan interviews, mostly. They deliberately kept rather quiet and noncommittal about quests and dialogue, and It was people like me who deluded themselves on what that meant. We won't know until its out, but they have commited to considerably more RPG-ness in that first preview than in all of the Oblivion prehype. Which doesnt mean its true, or that it will be great, but it would be much harder to gloss over or wiggle out of it.

What exactly is a "shitbox"? Is it a box you carry around to defaecate in?

About 3 weeks ago I read a post on the codex and it said that the game was undeniably going to be a real time first person and I posted I thought it was going to be 1st person with an optional 3rd person camera with a real time pause system and everyone there ridiculed me. I don't normally like to gloat but it looks like I was correct this time.

You should see the reaction on NMA, they are acting like the world is over! Lot's of "Oblivion with guns" when it looks like nothing of the sorts....
Actually it does. It's a point-and-click-strategy/cRPG game that has become a first-person-shooter-with-slow-motion/actionRPG hybrid. It is Oblivion with guns, except for the part of choices and consequences, or so they say. Bethesda is a bunch of liars, we can't trust them for nothing. Anyway, I'm not buying this shit, but that was a given already...

Well, I bet it will be good and the frwaks that are saying they are selling out and that its a first person shooter, like they thought oblivion was...well I just don't know what to say, oblivion provided alot of fun if you wanted it too...it was definately not a first person shooter.

Well, I bet it will be good and the frwaks that are saying they are selling out and that its a first person shooter, like they thought oblivion was...well I just don't know what to say, oblivion provided alot of fun if you wanted it too...it was definately not a first person shooter.
A lot of fun, maybe... maybe... but no rewards whatsoever. A rewarding gameplay is what makes a game fun...

No need to take the opportunity to rag on NMA again. It's not like we're being that unreasonable, Fallout as a turn-based game was a shocker when it was released, since its contemporaries were Diablo and Ultima Online. We were hoping for the same kind of daring-do from Bethesda, no such luck.

Other stuff looks good, but honestly I can't trust it from at this point, I'll have to see some real stuff before I'll believe vague promises of improvement over Oblivion.

VATS just sounds like a nerfed RTwP system. I hope the description is simply mistaken or badly written, tho'

Actually it does. It's a point-and-click-strategy/cRPG game that has become a first-person-shooter-with-slow-motion/actionRPG hybrid.

I've never heard of a first person shooter than allows you switch to a 3rd person perspective and use action points to target for you. I guess we have played different FPS games :rolleyes:.

That might be why he calls it a hybrid, bjon.

Consider this, if VATS works as it is described, there's nothing to prevent twitch players to ignore APs and the pause function and play the entire game, first person, realtime, shooting away. Sound familiar?

That might be why he calls it a hybrid, bjon.

He called it a FPS/actionRPG hybrid. Didn't mention being able to pause.

Consider this, if VATS works as it is described, there's nothing to prevent twitch players to ignore APs and the pause function and play the entire game, first person, realtime, shooting away. Sound familiar?

Are you saying that it real time mode all your skills and stats mean nothing? I certainly didn't get that impression from reading the article. I imagine that it will be similar to Boiling Point:RTH at the very least, probably more involved as BP did not have stats like perception.

If it does function "perfectly" and both FPS fans and slow paced gamers are satisfied then it would be a pretty good solution. Although I think it is going to pretty unlikely they are going to succeed in both as I imagine it will be a tough balancing act. It raises a lot of questions like how does the game determine whether enemies hit you or not? Is it based on the armour you are wearing or can you strafe to dodge attacks. I think we need more information before we can make a better judgment.

From reading the article the realtime shooting part of the game won't be a realistic choice since they said that ammo is rare so that means if you just run around shooting then you will quickly run out of bullets but if you use aiming then you will conserve bullets so that you don't run out. You don't want to be a twitch player in this game or you will probably die very quickly.

Not a fan follower of fallout, never finished them. Looking forward to this release!

I like it that Bethesda tries to evolve an isometric game into something new. Altough, i do not eny them reading all people pukeing over their effort, not knowing how bad or good its gonna be. Betehsda always said that they would do fallout 3 their way. (And why is always this happens for every game?)

I am game. I will buy it. Not for the name, but for the setting. I hate sequels not made by Chris Roberts anyway. Still waiting for the real wing commander 5. :)

What exactly is a "shitbox"? Is it a box you carry around to defaecate in?
Must be something where the four-letter words are kept. Too bad this youngster doesn't have one.

Back
Top Bottom