Fallout 4 - Should Be Game of the Year

Be careful, we barbarians first pirate your games, then we come to your country and take your women and chop off your heads. Buu!

Something tells me you can't afford to;)

Fair enough, but seriously why invest so much time and effort to bash a game instead of spending that time and effort on a game you enjoy?
Did I invest so much time? Writing forum posts takes mere minutes and I mostly do it from work between tasks. I can do that or read about local or world politics from portals and get depressed. I would rather spend time bashing bad games.

Well, it's my game of the year, but whether it should be to anyone else is up to them. The Witcher 3 had a few great quests, but the rest of the game was boring. I wouldn't put it in my top 5. I played it about 30 hours or so and I have 327 hours in Fallout 4. Still, that's me.

Want to know where W3 really stands? Fallout 4 is the top-played single player game on Steam; the world's largest digital network. The 2nd top-played single player game on the list? Skyrim :D

Witcher 3 isn't in the top 30 of all games. F4 is 3 and Skyrim is 9th. There is a clear victor to all but the blind.

Feel free to come up with lame excuses, haters :D

Crpgnut has been doing his homework. :p
Seriously, I've put more hours into Skyrim than WH or a lot of other games that I consider of much higher quality, modded or not.
Bethesda games are like that…simple, addictive, easy to get into, requiring little investment and catered to the widest audience…for good or bad, they are McDonald's of video game industry and they know it.
Do you also consider Dan Brown the greatest writer of all time? Bite his record sales, Dostojevski!

Last edited:
I'm going to give crpgnut the benefit of the doubt and assume his post was mostly in jest.

I wonder if he thinks Avatar is the greatest movie of all time since, you know... it sold the most tickets. ;)

Based on crpgnut's logic (time spent on a game) my GOTY should be League of Legends (thousands of hours), then MGS5 (400+ hours).
Toff's would probably be Hearthstone, Alrik's would be SW:TOR, etc.
Oh and let's not remember Counterstrike, CallOfDuty, still WoW and etc…

Avatar you say? I thought Titanic was the record holder.

Mine would be WoW. I spent a stupid amount of time in that game before the expansions ruined it all. I spent a good bit of time in LOTRO also. Then there Asherons Call.

Hmmmm, it seems I like MMOs.

Eh, mine would be japanese dating sims. I play them for the story. :p

Avatar you say? I thought Titanic was the record holder.
Avatar passed Titanic for box office revenue. For selling the "most tickets" (as JDR13 put it), Gone With The Wind is actually tops though, at least in the US. Avatar is boosted into the top spot by selling a lot more expensive tickets (not only decades of inflation, but also more expensive 3D tickets).

Afaik, Avatar is tops in # of tickets sold among movies with a single theatrical release. Gone with the Wind has had multiple theatrical releases.

As far as gross sales are concerned, inflation will always be a major factor.

Afaik, Avatar is tops in # of tickets sold among movies with a single theatrical release. Gone with the Wind has had multiple theatrical releases.
Well, you win there.

Then again, Gone With The Wind's original theatrical release sold 60M tickets and Avatar sold 97M, while the population of the US has increased more than double in that timespan, and the world population has tripled. So a far larger % of living people went to see Gone With The Wind than Titanic or Avatar.

The great thing about statistics is you can mold them to fit any storyline :)

Well, you win there.

Then again, Gone With The Wind's original theatrical release sold 60M tickets and Avatar sold 97M, while the population of the US has increased more than double in that timespan, and the world population has tripled. So a far larger % of living people went to see Gone With The Wind than Titanic or Avatar.

The great thing about statistics is you can mold them to fit any storyline :)

Very true. For instance, we could discuss how little competition GwtW had as far as entertainment in 1939. ;)

Fwiw though, your numbers are a bit off. GwtW sold 59.5M tickets in its first 3 runs combined. Still an impressive number though.

Fwiw though, your numbers are a bit off. GwtW sold 59.5M tickets in its first 3 runs combined. Still an impressive number though.
I thought it sold 60M (or 59.5M, whatever) from 1939-1943, are you breaking that time period down into separate runs?

Also gotta keep in mind that not many people had cars back in 1939, so many people had a harder time getting to the theater to begin with but still made it there somehow to see such an amazing movie which clearly must have been the best ever! :lol:

Not to mention the average viewer spent 238 minutes watching Gone With The Wind, but could only stomach 161 minutes of Avatar. If that isn't proof, I don't know what is.

Then again, Gone With The Wind's original theatrical release sold 60M tickets and Avatar sold 97M, while the population of the US has increased more than double in that timespan, and the world population has tripled.
Just proves that more people = more shit taste.

I thought it sold 60M (or 59.5M, whatever) from 1939-1943, are you breaking that time period down into separate runs?

No, I'm not breaking anything down. It apparently had 3 separate theatrical runs during that time. I'm only quoting statistics.

Not to mention the average viewer spent 221 minutes watching Gone With The Wind, but could only stomach 161 minutes of Avatar. If that isn't proof, I don't know what is.

I could only stomach about 45 minutes of Avatar. I think it's entirely mediocre, and that brings me back to my original point about quantity not proving quality.

Damn… how did I get sucked into this tangent about movies? :D

Avatar is a fine example of something fueled almost 100% by hype. A massive marketing campaign made it seem like everyone just had to see the movie.

Hmm, sounds like a lot of AAA games these days.

I think FO4 is better than TW3. But this is going to depend on what you like. The combat and game mechanics are better in FO4. For me it just comes down to that. If you like to watch hour upon hour of cut scenes just for the sake of a good story, then TW3 is the game for you. For me, after about 70 hours of that, I couldn't take it anymore, too much cinema and not enough action. If you just want to explore and good combat then FO4 is the better game.

Also, it's not true at all that the graphics in FO4 are bad. If you have a good gaming computer and can max all the settings at 2560x1440 or 4K and get over 60 FPS, it looks very nice.

Back
Top Bottom