JK Rowling and her trans views

Yeah, the thing with the podcast is that it was produced last year, with the idea of Phelps examining the entire situation through that lens, and bringing her unique perspective to it. It's like a gently-paced series you'd get on BBC radio.

But it's arrived at a moment of peak Rowling controversy, with the scandals in Scotland, Hogwarts Legacy, and so on. I think a lot of people expected it to be addressing the moment, and just want it to get down to brass tacks.

There are stars for pirated games?
Yep seeder to download ratio and certain sites track the data. Some sites have also crashed were you can download the pirated version. It's not 100% accurate but it works.

Yeah, the thing with the podcast is that it was produced last year, with the idea of Phelps examining the entire situation through that lens, and bringing her unique perspective to it. It's like a gently-paced series you'd get on BBC radio.

But it's arrived at a moment of peak Rowling controversy, with the scandals in Scotland, Hogwarts Legacy, and so on. I think a lot of people expected it to be addressing the moment, and just want it to get down to brass tacks.
I believe I will enjoy this interview series more due to that. It is less overproduced and dramatized than most American radio.

Yep seeder to download ratio and certain sites track the data. Some sites have also crashed were you can download the pirated version. It's not 100% accurate but it works.
How do they crash? They are just text forums with links to torrents. Must be an incredible amount of people just visiting the sites in that case.

How do they crash? They are just text forums with links to torrents. Must be an incredible amount of people just visiting the sites in that case.
To many users slow down the connection similar to denial-of-service hacks. As for the torrents to many downloaders and not enough seeders, so downloads are slow.

To many users slow down the connection similar to denial-of-service hacks. As for the torrents to many downloaders and not enough seeders, so downloads are slow.
Wow, slow downloads has not been a problem for ages. Not that I've pirated in a long, long time, but when I did it last it was no problem anymore.

I listened to part two of the Rowling pod yesterday. It was more interesting for me, since it focused on the response of fundamentalist evangelical Christian groups to the releases of the books. I had very little knowledge of their world view and thinking, and the interviews and clips were thought provoking.

Very interesting to hear the reasoning about how fundamentalists on different parts of the spectrum are so alike in their black and white thinking and in easily falling into the trap of thinking they are under existential attack.

I'm looking forward to hearing the next part.

While listening to the pod on Spotify I clicked on related pods. There's a pod called Gender: a wider lens, which seems to be interesting.

Something I'm lacking in a lot of the public debate is definitions. Maybe I can find a few definitions of different concepts properly in this podcast. Concepts like identity, gender identity, body dysmorphia and if it is different in anorexia, autism and gender dysphoria.

I read the posts (three in total) on Rowling's web page about women's rights and how they might clash with how trans rights are discussed at the moment.

I belive one reason why she is so hated by some, is because she expresses very clearly and without apparent doubt how she thinks. Women (at least in Sweden) usually use a lot more of "doubt markers" in their communication and when they don't, are often perceived as aggressive or over confident, since it is unusual for women to be so straight forward.

I belive one reason why she is so hated by some, is because she expresses very clearly and without apparent doubt how she thinks. Women (at least in Sweden) usually use a lot more of "doubt markers" in their communication and when they don't, are often perceived as aggressive or over confident, since it is unusual for women to be so straight forward.
That's interesting. Suffice it to say, I have no problem with smart women that don't use a lot of doubt-markers, and don't take the sort of guff lobbed at Rowling. :biggrin:

WTF??! I know there's some crazy people involved, but that's just vile.

In psychiatric care and research, differential diagnostics is very, very important since it is based almost solely on observations of behavior and the patients story. Prescribing permanently altering medication to kids after two consultations and with no follow up... Wow, just wow.

Episode 3 of the podcast was very interesting. It gets into the roots of how some of the new ideas around identity grew on Tumblr, in particular, and how they got into a sort of holy war with 4chan, in which there was total dehumanising hatred of the other, and any tactics were therefore justified. As these matters spread into the public sphere, this zero-sum brutality carried with them.

Phelps thinks that part of the reason interest in Westboro faded, is that the cruelty of their tactics became less remarkable as aggressive, righteous certainty took hold of the public square.

Episode 3 of the podcast was very interesting. It gets into the roots of how some of the new ideas around identity grew on Tumblr, in particular, and how they got into a sort of holy war with 4chan, in which there was total dehumanising hatred of the other, and any tactics were therefore justified. As these matters spread into the public sphere, this zero-sum brutality carried with them.

Phelps thinks that part of the reason interest in Westboro faded, is that the cruelty of their tactics became less remarkable as aggressive, righteous certainty took hold of the public square.
I listened to it as well. Interesting how she explains that the hyper sensitivity of part of the trans activists was nursed on Tumblr. And that Twitter and the journalists present there, amplified their importance and reach from a fringe group into power houses.

It seems like part of the reason why such aggressive behavior got to a point where some considered it moral.

I listened to it as well. Interesting how she explains that the hyper sensitivity of part of the trans activists was nursed on Tumblr. And that Twitter and the journalists present there, amplified their importance and reach from a fringe group into power houses.

It seems like part of the reason why such aggressive behavior got to a point where some considered it moral.
Yes, I can definitely see where Phelps is going with this. For example, the response of some 'activists' to the death of Robbie Coltrane, who once mildly defended Rowling.

255ef189-9ced-4191-8132-5a24f6c3fd36_1107x515.png

Now what does that remind me of...

03292007JunctionCityKS005.jpg

This sort of stuff makes me feel sick in my stomach!! :puke:

Back
Top Bottom