Some folks calling out Chris Avellone for 'alleged' sexual abuse

I'm not sure what your point is, Lackblogger. You're not a rapist? Congrats. I'm so proud, I'll say it again: Neither am I.

Judging by the frequency of occurrence of the crime, however, including all the aborted attempts and other crimes that represent a flirtation with becoming a rapist, I would say a whole lot of guys struggle with maintaining that line.

What the fuck are you talking about? Can you provide at least one specific example that defines even a single word of what you wrote?

I asked what you were talking about first. Care to explain what the hell the point of your story was?

My obervations are the sum of my experiences, and much of my life was spent holding an excellent vantage point for an overview. What specifically do you have a problem with?

It's self evident what I was talking about, I wrote in excruciating detail. Read your post, then mine and any rational sane person would know exactly why I wrote what I wrote.

You have just spoken in meaningless generalisations and undetailed abstraction, of course no-one has a fucking clue what you're talking about.

Since you're unwilling to explain it to we morons in the room, why don't you just shut the hell up?

Don't do it, Capt. Seeing people get treated like idiots by lackblogger is not good for my rage. :p

Don't do it, Capt. Seeing people get treated like idiots by lackblogger is not good for my rage. :p

I had no idea I was treating anyone like an idiot. Capt had already made plenty of posts to this thread well before I joined it, he appeared to be someone who wanted to converse. I supplied my experiences that countered pretty much everything he'd previously stated as fact, I did not treat him like an idiot, I made a perfectly reasoned post, chock full of talking points that he was free to address.

He comes back at me with "I din' do nuffin' whAtCHuOnAbout" insulting crap, so I gave crap back now that it had been established he didn't actually have anything to say beyond generalised bollocks.

I have no idea if you're being serious or not as you used a simile tongue emoji, but beings as you used to have 'a thing' for me in the past, I'm unsure about what you're implying. If you're speaking in good humour, cool, good laff, if you're actually becoming raged… with me…? Why? What the fuck have I done?

Firstly, Lackblogger, I'm not crying for myself, but I do have a problem with you. I've watched you, without provocation, be unnecessarily rude, arrogant, condescending, insulting and dismissive to a variety of folks across these boards. It's your m.o., if you didn't know.

I invited you to tell me what your specific problem was with something I said, and you failed to do so, other than a general complaint about my generalities. My generalities are culled from my life, as I said. You want to hear my resume? I'll keep it short. I was a newspaper reporter for many years, starting as a young man, and routinely witnessed the worst of man on a regular basis, as well as the good. I saw much of this with my own eyes, but more of it comes from talking with the people who lived through it. I could go on, but I won't.

And how are we supposed to talk about a large population of people without generalities? People vary quite a lot, but there are certainly common threads. You want me to remember every 11" column of numbers in every federal report I've ever read? I don't. You want me to hit everyone with a wall of text about every interview I've done with a woman who was raped, as well as the rapists? I won't.

Such as…?

Peeping Toms, for example. Guys charged with stalking. Both those kinds of guys are often working up to a rape. The various degrees of sexual assault that don't amount to coitis. Here in the States, I personally think the charge of sexual assault is stupid in its terminology, as it either glosses over or misrepresents what actually happened, both in favor and against the person charged.

I always know when I see a big, long, fat post from lackblogger, that it's time to make the popcorn before going further. :lol: Someone's gotta keep it interesting around here ever since DArt got ADS (account deleting syndrome).

Dart and Lackblogger have a lot in common.

This is fantastic news Capt. Being a journalist puts you in the prime position to interpret information. Your job description is pretty much "I interpret data and present it to the public in a framed way that supports a narrative".

I'm mostly a data-hunter. I'm not so hot on 'interpretation', I usually find that the raw data by itself usually speaks for itself.

However, I am aware that data can be interpreted differently by different people.

Now… Here's some data for you that maybe you could use your professional skills to interpret for the rest of us and do so in context with the current hullabaloo:

1. A graph that shows a 400% increase in the number of prisoners in the prison population of England and Wales between 1900 and 2015:

percentage-change-in-prison-population.jpg

The current number of people in prison in England and Wales is a fluctuating figure between 80 and 90 thousand. The current capacity of the prisons that hold these prisoners is a grand total of 82,676 as at 2019.

62% of these 72 prisons are classified as "overcrowded" with nearly all the others either at or near capacity.

2. A graph that shows the reason why these people are in prison:

image-2.jpg

As you can see, sexual offences account for just 18% of prisoners. And this is all sexual offences, which, as you have already illustrated to us, includes a whole lot more offences than just rape.

So let's do some mildly inaccurate math and guess that there are probably about 20% of 85,000 people currently in prison for 'sexual offences', so that is about 17,000 people.

3. A graph that shows the number of 'reported' rapes in England and Wales between 2002 and 2019:

283100-blank-355.png

Unfortunately, the site that has this graph with all of its numbers included has stipulated that you have to pay to know this information, google images are only allowed the version with the stat numbers removed.

However, I can tell you what the axis represent. The grey broken horizontal lines represent 20,000 reported rapes. So in 2002/2003 (the left-most bar) the number of reported rapes was 12,300 (rounded) and the number of reported rapes in 2018/2019 (the right-most bar) was 58,660 (rounded).

It is has become extremely fashionable to report 'rapes'.

If all approx. 60k 'rapists' were arrested and put through the system and given the apt prison sentence for rape, what other crimes are going to be made redundant and legalised in order to:

a) Find the police man-hours to cover the issue.
b) Find the resources to fund the police's investigations.
c) Find the court-time to process the vast number of very difficult to prove cases.
d) Find the prison places.
e) Find the time, money and people to perform rehabilitation courses.
f) Find the resources to fund all the welfare checks of these people who are now 'unemployable' in a lot of sectors.
etc etc etc etc etc.

Also, 12,000 people per year is what you would call an 'insignificant' proportion of a population with regards to voting habits. The number of people that would feel 'aggrieved by the system' would be minimal. Even after 10 years there are only about 100,000 'rapists'.

However, at 60,000 people per year… and rising… then even in just 5 years you have 300,000 'rapists', who, if they 'organised' could be considered a 'voting block'… especially as the vast increase in reported cases will, inevitably, lead to a vastly greater number of falsified allegations and result in wrongful imprisonment. Leading to the very real possibility that rape could well become legally downgraded at some point in the future.

When I was growing up, a 'rapist' was someone who was unknown to the victim and who physically wrestled with the victim, as in punching & the like, and was usually exampled by people who were 'dragged into a ditch on their way home from work' or other such genuinely creepy stuff.

I'm aware that the definition has 'relaxed' somewhat since then. I'm supportive of people who experience rape in cases that are less clear cut than this. I was supportive of people being allowed to call rape while married and etc. I'm supportive of people's rights to say stuff on social media.

But those stats, man.

Those stats… we do not exist in a utopian vacuum…

…And then the same activists who actively encourage people to shout rape at every opportunity are… calling for the defunding of the police… ??????????????

Ok then… what kind of 'punishment' and 'justice' are they preparing for all these newly discovered 'rapists'…

[and this is all before we've even looked at the wider picture of 'sexual assault' generally…]

So capt, please feel free to use these stats to frame your argument that the concept of 'rape' is an entirely 'male' problem… And, if you are still dead-set on making that point, perhaps illuminating us with the solution to both dealing with and solving the impossibility of the current trend of 'outrage about sexual ''''crimes''''' ' continuing upon its current course…

I'm done talking to you, Lackblogger. You can shove your graphs.

I was never a fan of Chris Avellone, and thought he was always way over-hyped, but I have to admit this is not something I agree with - the stupid cancel culture thing. Very silly and lame and needs to become a forgotten memory sooner rather than later.

Also, when loose women who go to parties and do drugs, get drunk and so on a lot pretend to be oh so innocent maidens and the mainstream media goes along with it every time, it becomes really silly. False accusations are actually a thing now, and there should be harsh penalties for it, in my opinion. Just check out the Amber Heard - Johnny Depp saga for a recent (celebrity) example. The Kavanaugh case was another one that seemed to kick off this whole thing recently.

"He got me blackout drunk on Midori Sours" is not how you want to start this story lady.

I myself (Canadian) am looking forward to seeing a female president of the USA one day. How do you propose a female look after an entire country, if you're suggesting they're so helpless that they can't drink responsibly? Unless he physically forced it down your throat involuntary, but since you glossed over that detail very quickly, i'm going to assume that was not the case.

This is weaponizing #metoo and making it harder for the voices of true rape victims to be heard.

Also, when loose women who go to parties and do drugs, get drunk and so on a lot pretend to be oh so innocent maidens and the mainstream media goes along with it every time, it becomes really silly. False accusations are actually a thing now, and there should be harsh penalties for it, in my opinion. Just check out the Amber Heard - Johnny Depp saga for a recent (celebrity) example. The Kavanaugh case was another one that seemed to kick off this whole thing recently.

YIKES! Are you entering this into a 'how much misogyny and right-wing mindless drivel can I pile into one paragraph' contest?

YIKES! Are you entering this into a 'how much misogyny and right-wing mindless drivel can I pile into one paragraph' contest?

Just because his tone is weighted to one side and maybe somewhat exaggerated, doesn't make it false. You can either provide a balanced approach, or you can try and lean far left and imply females are always 100% innocent and males are always 100% guilty.

I myself prefer the balanced approach, as relationship issues in general are almost never one-sided. But that usually makes one an enemy to all, as the left suggest a moderist is leaning far right from them, and the right suggest the very same is leaning far left from them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is why the problem will never be easily solved. The media and society in general has made it clear they think the only way to resolve the issues to make one side fear the other and claim their pound of flesh, rather than work out a practical solution (but the latter is boring and doesn't sell stories, so....).

The middle ground, despite being the most populated, is the hardest patch to hold, at least in my polarized country.

Just because his tone is weighted to one side and maybe somewhat exaggerated, doesn't make it false. You can either provide a balanced approach, or you can try and lean far left and imply females are always 100% innocent and males are always 100% guilty.

No - this isn’t about ‘tone policing’ (which IS the ‘language of the oppressor’, btw and is NEVER a ‘middle ground’ approach) ... this is about flagrant misogyny - like entering a discussion about racism and using the N-word.

“Loose women” is a misogynist term, as is the whole notion that anything more than a trivial % of accusations are anything but genuine. Why? Because almost always men get away with harassment and assault and women are revictimized ... well, pretty much like he just did.

The whole Amber Heard - Johnny Depp thing is a cluster ... don’t even want to wade into THAT!

But Kavanaugh - just like Clarence Thomas but even moreso - was very much credibly accused of assault ... but he was a right-wing political operative who had been groomed for the position so they could have had video of him raping someone and Trump’s butt-kissing lackeys would have confirmed his incompetent ass anyway. It is an affront to our system of justice.

So YES, there are false accusations ... but since:
- Police don’t take women seriously
- Investigations hardly ever happen
- Everyone re-victimizes the woman
- If it DOES go to trial, the level of re-victimization is incredible
- The US system is very patriarchal and favors men over women to an absurd degree ...

The amount of false reports are very small, especially compared with the number of unreported actual assaults. Anyone with any empathy who has actual female friends will tell you that nearly all of them have encountered significant harassment and/or assault. Even women who don’t think they have ... when questioned often say ‘oh that is just how things are ... you always sit closer to a door than the man, never leave your drink alone, and on and on’ and realize how they have built up ‘assault avoidance systems’ because they are a woman.

- The US system is very patriarchal and favors men over women to an absurd degree

Out of your whole reply, this is probably the most WTF thing. Go ahead and compare murder, and child abuse sentences for men vs women.

In fact, go ahead and look up all the cases where a female teacher raped an underage student. Now look at the media headlines and see how many of them actually say "rape" or "molestion" instead of "slept with" or "had a relationship/romance".

Don't get me started on family court.

I already explained why my reply will anger you. Of course it will. If you're at the far Left, my arguments will have a Right spin on it, no matter how you look at it (thank you for proving my point in this little social experiment). If you were on the Right, it would be the opposite (yes there is too much victim blaming, yes women have a high percentage of being assaulted, yes domestic violence exponentially affects women physically more than men).

This was never the argument. No one is saying women don't have a hard time. In fact, you arguing your POV actually makes it even harder for women, because it's the cases that women who abuse the charismatic advantage they've been given, proved false, and then ruined the chances for those women with legitimate claims.

Please answer the following:

False accusations never happen: True or False?
Heard is 100% innocent and Depp is 100% guilty: True or False?
A female will 100% never lie to preserve her reputation: True or False?

this is about flagrant misogyny - like entering a discussion about racism and using the N-word.

No. Not even close. :lol: I'll let my friend John explain this one for you:

The amount of false reports are very small, especially compared with the number of unreported actual assaults.

No. You are correct about the number of unreported assaults, but not the way your thinking. Feel free to lookup the amount of male domestic abuse victims that go unreported. In fact, go ahead and look up the social experiments where staged actors take on the role of a couple in a relationship, and they show the public's reaction to male on female violence vs female on male violence.

Nearly 3 in 10 women (29%) and 1 in 10 men (10%) in the US have experienced rape, physical violence and/or stalking by a partner and report a related impact on their< functioning.

Nearly, 15% of women (14.8%) and 4% of men have been injured as a result of IPV that included rape, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.

1 in 4 women (24.3%) and 1 in 7 men (13.8%) aged 18 and older in the United States have been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.

More than 1 in 3 women (35.6%) and more than 1 in 4 men (28.5%) in the United States have experienced rape, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.

Nearly half of all women and men in the United States have experienced psychological aggression by an intimate partner in their lifetime (48.4% and 48.8%, respectively).

Most female victims of intimate partner violence were previously victimized by the same offender, including 77% of females ages 18 to 24, 76% of females ages 25 to 34, and 81% of females ages 35 to 49.

Are women the majority? Yes no one is denying that. But to suggest that the amount of false reports are very small is just plain offensive. Especially to those who have experienced it first hand. Break the bubble.

Back
Top Bottom