Star Wars: Outlaws

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
New Star Wars game in the works. There's not much info yet, but it's apparently going to be the first open-world Star Wars game. It's single-player and third-person and takes place between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Sigh I wish this developer would go back to it's roots and make another RTS war-game.

I hope you can create your own character. I really don't like playing female characters in open world style games especially if it has a 100h+ playtime.

I hope you can create your own character. I really don't like playing female characters in open world style games especially if it has a 100h+ playtime.
No it's a female fixed protagonist again. Ubisoft loves the same trope.
Star Wars Outlaws, the first-ever open-world Star Wars™ game, is coming to Xbox Series X|S, PS5, and PC in 2024. With development led by Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment in collaboration with Lucasfilm Games, Star Wars Outlaws invites you to play as cunning scoundrel Kay Vess (Humberly González), who – along with her loyal companion Nix (Dee Bradley Baker) – must pull off one of the greatest heists the Outer Rim has ever seen.

Set between the events of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back™ and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi™, Star Wars Outlaws takes place in a time when the Galactic Empire relentlessly pursues the final defeat of the Rebel Alliance, and the criminal underworld is thriving. Kay will take on high-risk, high-reward missions from the galaxy’s crime syndicates as she seeks the means to start a new life.
Just like how the last two Assassin Creed games were the Female pick was cannon.

Ah the illusion of choice.

So far, that's the only negative I've seen. I'm a little surprised though since Ubisoft normally gives us that choice.

A fixed female protagonist is not a "trope". Or is it a "trope" in every game with a fixed male protagonist, like every AC up until Odyssey? I'll bet you didn't complain about that.

Outlaws looks great to me. My only concern is how heavily scripted it will be. This looked like gameplay, but highly constrained, highly scripted gameplay. I don't like games like RDR2 and the earlier AC games where if you step one step out of the prescribed path, you insta-fail a mission.

So far, that's the only negative I've seen. I'm a little surprised though since Ubisoft normally gives us that choice.
It's not a negative to me. From what we see/hear in the trailer, I immediately liked her and her voice acting. It would be fine if there was a male alternative, but I don't personally care. That's resources that they can spend on other aspects of the game.

I'd rather they gave us a choice like they normally do. The only reason I can think of for them not doing so is that this game is going to be more heavily narrated compared to Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, etc.

That's fine if the writing is good enough, but I've never been impressed by Ubisoft on that front.

Assassin's Creed started out that way. Ezio was a very strong and particular character, not in any way a stand in for the player. They could indeed be going back to that. It bears mentioning that the upcoming AC also has a specific (and male) protagonist.

The new AC isn't open-world though. It's a smaller, more linear game with greater focus on the story. I think it makes more sense to have fixed protagonists in games like that vs an open-world game.

Yep it's a smaller spin-off DLC from Valhalla that was changed and re-marketed as a new game. The next game is set in Japan called Codename Red with two protagonist.
Developed by Ubisoft Quebec, this upcoming AC game is based on Japanese lore. The team behind Codename Red also created Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Promising a shinobi story arc, Codename Red will be the next RPG title after AC Mirage, with updates expected in early 2024.
That is the actual next sequel and I hope they don't move away from being RPGs again.

As I hate the old formula.(n)

Also it's okay for gamers to not play games with a female protagonist. People are free to choose what they like/don't like. As usual on the internet everyone has an opinion.

So this game went from day one to wait and buy a cheap key years later.

Enough from me as I don't need another white knight lecture.:cool:

Last edited:
I don't see how they can call it open world myself but for me open world also means making your own character not having it pre-defined. So a no-go for me.

That looks very impressive, especially graphically. Looks gorgeous, as one would expect from Massive. But they really outdid themselves.
If I were a huge SW fan I'd probably shitting myself. I wonder if the scope of it is really as big as they hint, allowing you to move from planet to space and back to planet. Even if they it's probably just select locations on the planet.

Looks ok to me but I'll be booked up for quite a while. I'm looking at Starfield, Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, BG3, and Last of Us to keep me busy through next year and beyond.

Don't forget Capes!

Outlaws looks all right. I like the look of the general gameplay, though I rolled my eyes at the bit where the protagonist falls a good 10ft to a grate and nobody hears her land. I wouldn't consider it a must-have (unless the story is particularly good) at all.

P.S. I didn't know either gender was considered 'cannon' in the AC games. I guess all that means is, if future games reference back, they are going to pick the females? <shrug>

P.S. I didn't know either gender was considered 'cannon' in the AC games. I guess all that means is, if future games reference back, they are going to pick the females? <shrug>
They're not. If Ubisoft shows a video of the game, it's going to necessarily be one or the other, so I guess some consider whichever one they show to be "canon". (Just one n, btw, if they're not shooting heavy balls out of their orifices)

For my part, I used the female version for Odyssey and the male version of Eivor, because I preferred those respective voice actors. Next time they let me choose, I'll make my decision the same way.

Back
Top Bottom