The Congress Elections 2022

I don't know if he will be, but Trump should be charged. I understand the argument against it, and it's a valid argument, but I also think it's a cowardly one.

The issue is simple: People will always get away with whatever you allow them to. In California, in particular, when they made it known they wouldn't prosecute non-violent crimes, they got bands of organized mass smash-and-grab robberies. Those only slowed down when -- guess what? -- they made it well known they were prosecuting and focusing on those crimes again.

This is what the Dems always do: They are always afraid to stick out their necks even an inch to do anything about anything, for fear of what might happen, even if the thing they are fretting themselves into paralysis about -- the thing that is actually happening -- is an axe slowly swinging at their necks anyway.

Unless we want to allow charlatans and con men to steal our government, our money and our futures from us, I mean more than we do already, Trump needs to be prosecuted. Otherwise, we'll see an endless parade of his like, smash-and-grab robbers stealing us blind.

He might not get charged, but I think the allegations alone will give some people pause in voting for him again if he runs.
The mainstream media would be falling all over itself manufacturing a hundred different ways to carry water for the dems in that situation, regardless of what the reality might be (and the reality ain't good by any stretch). Which is the reason I say Trump getting the nomination is about the only way the republicans could lose to Biden.

Unless we want to allow charlatans and con men to steal our government, our money and our futures from us, I mean more than we do already, Trump needs to be prosecuted. Otherwise, we'll see an endless parade of his like, smash-and-grab robbers stealing us blind.
Don't know that I really disagree, but it's cute that you think the dems haven't hooked a siphon to your wallet.

We can argue tax policy if you like -- and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't end up arguing much at all -- but it's the Republicans stealing, by and large. They're the pickpockets, and you'll draw back a stump with that shit with me. The Dems might look the other way, but I don't.

Which is the reason I say Trump getting the nomination is about the only way the republicans could lose to Biden.

I still don't think Biden is going to run for reelection nor would I want him to. With how bad the general sentiment towards him is now, plus his age, I think the party would be crazy to not give someone else a shot.

I still don't think Biden is going to run for reelection nor would I want him to. With how bad the general sentiment towards him is now, plus his age, I think the party would be crazy to not give someone else a shot.

Harris perhaps? Given the metoo and BLM, they could calculate that now would be the time for the first black female president? Ironic that both of the recent presidents had vice presidents that appeared sensible, at least on paper.

Any hope for Harris or would that be a certain defeat for the dems?

I wish I could really take it all lightly. The trouble is, I think the fate of America matters a very great deal to us. It's been suggested before that I'm a closet American, because I follow their politics quite closely. :p But really, it's because I think as goes America, so go we all.

True, some American elections influence us more than our own elections through indirect effects such as economy, diplomacy and war. Not much we can do about it, however, and dealing the non-sense going on in the world with humor instead of worrying about it is a better approach in my opinion.

Harris perhaps? Given the metoo and BLM, they could calculate that now would be the time for the first black female president? Ironic that both of the recent presidents had vice presidents that appeared sensible, at least on paper.
Harris is a questionably-competent lightweight who's even less popular than Biden and Trump in polling. It's possible, but very unlikely that she'd end up being the candidate. Republicans would love to see it, though.

I almost totally agree with you, Stingray, except I'm not sure I'd be so kind. I might've called Harris a superficial and drunken soundbite machine. I'm not sure how likely it is she'd be the candidate, but I forsee disaster on at least a couple levels if she is. I find the stupid ideas and candidates put forth by the Democrats to be rather unpredictable.

I almost totally agree with you, Stingray, except I'm not sure I'd be so kind. I might've called Harris a superficial and drunken soundbite machine. I'm not sure how likely it is she'd be the candidate, but I forsee disaster on at least a couple levels if she is. I find the stupid ideas and candidates put forth by the Democrats to be rather unpredictable.
Nah we're on the same page. I was trying to be kind in my post :lol:

Harris' polling: https://www.latimes.com/projects/kamala-harris-approval-rating-polls-vs-biden-other-vps/

Her net favorability, compared to other recent VPs at the same stage into their terms, is -11.2 compared to Pence, -15.2 compared to Biden, -49.6 compared to Cheney, and -39.1 compared to Gore.

Compared to Biden right now, she's -1.6.

Among independents, she has a 32% approval rating, and 55% disapproval.

She'd have a little over a year to turn things around, before primary season kicks off, but that's basically cancer.

Harris perhaps?

Who? Oh, you mean that woman that no one has seen since the election? ;)

Seriously though, I've never seen such a non-existent vice-president. It's like they used her to get some votes and then threw her in a closet.

Biden got backed into an identity politics corner. He said he'd pick a woman, then later realized he also had to pick someone who wasn't white (since he's white himself, and it's the Democratic Party). So, he ended up with a very small pool to choose from, and this is the kind of thing that can happen when you prioritize what someone looks like over how competent they are. Pence is boring, but nobody ever questioned his competence or gravitas, which is surprising because Trump normally picked the worst people possible for just about everything.

True, some American elections influence us more than our own elections through indirect effects such as economy, diplomacy and war. Not much we can do about it, however, and dealing the non-sense going on in the world with humor instead of worrying about it is a better approach in my opinion.

Oh, I get it, believe me. Most of the time I cope with a bit of dark humour. I'm just saying that, really, I'm not laughing. I can't really watch it as a soap opera, and I'm not really enjoying my popcorn.

I wouldn't put it past them to field Harris, favouring identity politics over actual politics. I suspect that would be another act of self-immolation. I tend to think that since she rubs me the wrong way, there's a good chance it's not going to fly with US swing state voters.

I don't see Harris winning anything. As @JDR13; said, she's been non-existent.

I think the Democrats should field a younger (not 20s obviously) candidate that can try gaining some new votes, not just rely on older ones. I think the US is missing its first female president though, so I think that would be a good move. Someone with less political baggage than Clinton though.

I wouldn't put it past them to field Harris, favouring identity politics over actual politics. I suspect that would be another act of self-immolation. I tend to think that since she rubs me the wrong way, there's a good chance it's not going to fly with US swing state voters.

Neither would I...
giphy.gif

I think the US is missing its first female president though, so I think that would be a good move. Someone with less political baggage than Clinton though.

I actually think the first female president could come from the Right. That's purely down to looking at the mentality at hand. I think being a woman AND representing the Left will go down as: "Hmm... extra-suspicious..." Whereas if she were a hard or far Right character, hitting the proper notes, they would accept her as "one of the good ones."

It could be Liz Cheney, except the GOP of the moment is still hijacked by those itching for a civil war, and she's likely going down in flames soon. Such is war.

And I should say I do think Harris is pretty unlikely. I have heard rumblings from people about Stingray's numbers.

I actually think the first female president could come from the Right.

God I hope not. It seems like every female politician from the Right that stands out only does so because she's a nutcase. Sarah Palin, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert...

54747482.jpg

God I hope not. It seems like every female politician from the Right that stands out only does so because she's a nutcase. Sarah Palin, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert…

54747482.jpg

I think that's true, but I think that's part of a wider malaise where the political parties are no longer producing their best people. The prominent women of the radicalised Republicans happen to be some of their prime Q-Anon loonies. But, I think more credible characters may emerge in time, and I could definitely see an American Thatcher type of character.

Back
Top Bottom