The Kitchen Drawer

Capt. Huggy Face

Troll Aspiring to Responsibility
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Everyone has a junk drawer somewhere, don't they? I sure do. I find them to be useful things. You might not have much use for the little things you put inside, but they're sometimes indispensable.

I consider random thoughts indispensible to discussion, to the organization of one's own thoughts and to the germination of new ideas. Thusly, I find it a shame when the catch-all threads, an inevitability of human nature and the minds that drive it, are closed for meandering too far from their own stated purpose, their own titles, for the sake of a largely arbitrary rule.

As some of you regulars here in the basement might guess, I'm far less interested in rules than the average person. Maybe the powers that be here will have difficulty in closing a thread with such an amorphous and ambiguous title as this.

As the creator of this gloriously confused thread, I hereby declare it has no stated rules, if I have such authority. If I don't, who says so? This thread has no rules, remember?

To kick things off, I offer this. Do I think this is earthshattering? No, I don't. I don't think it even warrants it's own thread. I suspect this effort will go largely nowhere.

However, I also think BLM has, at least, not overlooked what so many Americans often do. One can rail against the Republican Party for its ongoing efforts to turn our democracy into some kind of authoritarian plutocracy, as I often have, but I think it's important to remember the outsized role corporations, having so thoroughly bribed our politicians and particularly Republicans, play in our government.

Take a moment to have a good look at our country as it stands before you today and realize this was largely brought to you by corporate America. Think back to all those emails that clogged every American's inbox after George Floyd's death, professing their undying support of the fair and equal treatment of all Americans. Next, read Delta's defense of some of the provisions in Georgia's new election laws. Then, have a Coke and a smile.

Good luck with that as brown people as the article calls them love Coca-Cola. It's basically water if you live in Mexico. So really I doubt they care but go on and protest.

But it does point out corporate interests are what have landed us where we are today, irrespective of BLM, the Mexican penchant for Coca-a-Cola and Floyd's death. If the cancel culture was the primary impetus for voting Republicans' half-hearted revolution, as I hear them claim easily the most often, who is most responsible for that?

Bacon lettuce and mustard sandwich? When I first saw the subject of this thread, I thought we might be listing objects that we keep in our junk drawers, and now I'm not certain what it is, lol.

And it's been over twenty years since I've tasted Coca Cola. I do have the occasional Fresca, maybe once a month. During winter I might have some tea, but now that the temperature can exceed thirty again, I'm drinking lots of ice cold water.

I gave up on soda a while ago. I just got tired of all the sugar. My only regret is why it took me so long.

You didn't have to give up soda if sugar was the reason. I used to be a big soda drinker, but I only drink Coke Zero now. It actually tastes better than regular Coke anyways imo.

Yeah, I mainly agree. I think when you get mods that are super-keen on keeping threads on topic, that's very stifling. I think there's some merit in trying to keep things organised in a somewhat structured way. A lot of projects and communities I follow have moved to using Discord. Their model is that you setup the equivalent of subforums, but each one is one long megathread. I find it a nightmare, and quite off-putting, with people talking over each other on different points. I don't think it's really an issue here, as it's mainly a handful of regulars in P&R. But I get why forums tend to like a bit of organisation.

Every damned thing is a double-edged sword.

Apparently cola isn’t good for your bones, with or without sugar.

I still do drink soda, yeah. And my mom the nurse tells me the bone thing. My compromise is seltzer water, so, yeah, soda. I am sick of the sugar, but I guess I'm also sick of cola. The various diet things are far worse than the originals, with the possible exception of Diet Dr. Pepper, which is only a little worse. Not really a health choice for me, but I have seen the health benefits, I believe.

The various diet things are far worse than the originals, with the possible exception of Diet Dr. Pepper, which is only a little worse.

I've seen that opinion before, but I question how true it is. I realize artificial sweeteners aren't good, but either is sugar itself or being overweight.

Apparently drinking soda reduces your chances to live long. Alcohol also has that effect. I don’t think anyone tested the combination of the two.

I think it's only correlation at this point. I know researchers were puzzled by why the health outcomes were similarly bad for diet soda drinkers, as for the full sugar versions. I think it's unknown whether the diet drinks themselves are more harmful than we realise, or whether the correlation is because people who drink a lot of any kind of soda tend to live unhealthier lifestyles, on average.

Apparently drinking soda reduces your chances to live long. Alcohol also has that effect. I don’t think anyone tested the combination of the two.

I have and each dilutes the negative effects of the other, so drinking them in combination is actually good for you!! That's my story and I'm sticking with it!!!! :)

I've seen that opinion before, but I question how true it is. I realize artificial sweeteners aren't good, but either is sugar itself or being overweight.

I was talking about the taste. I really don't know about the health aspects, which usually aren't my top priority.

I have and each dilutes the negative effects of the other, so drinking them in combination is actually good for you!! That's my story and I'm sticking with it!!!! :)

I have to concur with that. (As I sit here sipping on a Captain and diet (Coke)) :)

On a side note: Why are jpeg uploads limited to only 97kb? I couldn't even show you guys my drink!

Ah yes a Rum and Coke cocktail, Loved those as a teenager. Not the hangovers though.

I may, or may not, have an account on another site, named Matt Gaetz's Stupid Fascist Face.

On a side note: Why are jpeg uploads limited to only 97kb? I couldn't even show you guys my drink!
Good question. I don't see a restriction yet of uploads anywhere in the system.

Back
Top Bottom