Ubisoft - Might and Magic 10 Teased - to be Revealed @ PAX East

I hope they don't just see open world as to why it was successful. It takes more then that.

Exactly. Might and Magic is perfect for open world games, just not the type of open world games that Bethesda makes.

Actually most of the might and magic games were open world, controlled by monsters that would kill you. I'm not sure the mow down battles of might and magic would work nowadays.

Go back and play them again and release you are using bow and arrows to basically straff enemies down at a distance.

Actually most of the might and magic games were open world, controlled by monsters that would kill you.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. They were open world, and emphasized exploration, but a much different type than something like Oblivion or Skyrim. You had to manage skills properly, keep track of resources, etc. Not to mention managing your party.

What they do or make won't matter....it will require you to be online, and no one will buy or play it. The end, and it's too bad, because a new M&M in the classic vein would have been really refreshing from a triple A company.

-Carn

Well, Ubisoft is supposedly changing its ways when it comes to always-on. Here's hoping it amounts to.. well.. anything at all. I guess they've already released a few games without it..?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-scrapping-always-on-drm-for-pc-games/ - On the initial news
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-drm-piracy-interview/ - Interview with Ubisoft

On the downside, they still haven't released Anno 2070 from its terrible (though maybe not always-on?) DRM burden. I -almost- bought it during a Steam sale, then realized I'd end up stabbing myself in the face.

I used to hate Ubisoft for there drm but there are cracks to play the games were it still isn't patched out or changed.

If they follow the Skyrim or DragonAge style of gameplay it wont matter. I will still buy and play it. It's not the 1990's anymore. Go back a kickstarter if you want another old school game. As that's the only way you will get one.

Hmmm...

Well, I'm actually a fan of the latest Might and Magic VI (the strategy game with the name in reverse) - but I don't like the aesthetics. I much prefer the charming and endearing approach from the old games - especially the second one.

As for Might and Magic the RPGs - there's no way it can be worse than IX. But, I don't expect to see a charming old-school type of game. Nah, more likely they will try to appeal wider - and that probably means a more serious tone like the latest strategy games.

Bah, I could probably take it or leave it. Still, maybe we're in for a surprise.

As far as I know, Caneghem is still working for EA so he's not available, which means it's rather unlikely that they capture the oldschool feeling of Might & Magic. I'll pay attention on Friday, my I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.

Just read the comments at Obsidian.

Very scary for this long term MM fan. Words like MMO or reboot or rebrand of a prior product . . . the horror. . . . . . . . . .

Indeed the horror. However they are just words, there is still a chance that the word are wrong ;)

Last edited:
I can only imagine this to be more in line of the Dark Messiah game. Which wasnt bad. Though short. And not a true MM.

Just read the comments at Obsidian.

Very scary for this long term MM fan. Words like MMO or reboot or rebrand of a prior product . . . the horror. . . . . . . . . .
I don't know where those comments come from, but are quite far from reality. Can't say anything (yet) but I think most long term M&M fans will be quite pleased with the direction of any possible M&M game that Ubi could be producing ;)

I don't think you understand computers that well, if, over time you don't keep up to date on your system maintenance things generally go bad.
That's another perfect pitch from you.
My job IS the PC maintenace on more than 1000 machines in the company, and since I understand computers less than well, dunno how the hell those machines work at all. I guess I just got lucky. It was more than a decade of luck - I guess I should try with the lottery, to such lucker like I am millions are guaranteed. Billions.

Look, I despise EA and everything they do. No matter what you say will change that. But I do admit I can't stand that company. You, on the other hand, will never admit that you turn into a troll every time someone touches the holy EA in a negative manner.

I used to hate Ubisoft for there drm but there are cracks to play the games were it still isn't patched out or changed.
I was annoyed with uPlay at start, but over time I got used to it. The only thing I still dislike is the cloud sync as it IMO lasts too long so I turn it off. I mean… Who needs sync for SP games?
But can't say I hated Ubisoft for it though, they just thought it's a solution to something, in time they've realized it's turning off the customers and hopefully the whole thing will soon die or get reworked so we don't have to use it for SP games.

Last edited:
I don't know where those comments come from, but are quite far from reality. Can't say anything (yet) but I think most long term M&M fans will be quite pleased with the direction of any possible M&M game that Ubi could be producing ;)

Will we know on Friday?

They'd be blind not see what kind of games are getting support on Kickstarter and must surely appreciate that devaluing a brand that mostly appeals to long time gamers isn't going to result in good publicity. It would be be a really bold step for them to make a first person party RPG though, I can't quite believe that will happen. Just have to wait and see.

:) :(
happy and sad at the same time. best IP ever will most likely be completely gutted..

All the doubters said this could never happen (we've had a few discussions on the topic on this very forum) and admittedly, I may have been one of them.
I'll be fascinated to read more information once we have it; fingers crossed Ubisoft tries to understand what made the original games great and builds upon that basis for the gameplay style and party based mechanics rather than be overly influenced by their vision of the Heroes series.

Perhaps with the success of kickstarter and the appeal of the old school approach to RPGs getting more mainstream recognition these days, they've finally realised there's a market for this game. Better late than never I suppose! ;)

Well, thanks for posting! Very interesting news indeed. I won't be too quick to judge, as surely what they come up with couldn't be worse than IX. :)

That's another perfect pitch from you.
My job IS the PC maintenace on more than 1000 machines in the company, and since I understand computers less than well, dunno how the hell those machines work at all. I guess I just got lucky. It was more than a decade of luck - I guess I should try with the lottery, to such lucker like I am millions are guaranteed. Billions.

Look, I despise EA and everything they do. No matter what you say will change that. But I do admit I can't stand that company. You, on the other hand, will never admit that you turn into a troll every time someone touches the holy EA in a negative manner.

I am going to guess english isn't your first language, since I am not sure how we even got onto EA here...last I checked I commented on your continual rant on Skyrim. I think some of things EA does is stupid, but I also think once and awhile they let out a good game. Good one with the personal troll post, keep up the good work.

Unless they can get someone major from NWC or 3DO, then this probably isn't going to work. Ubi's idea of Heroes was quite a tangent from the NWC games, so I expect that MMX will be the same. Will it be any good? Time will tell. What do folks think are the necessary pieces to make this a true Might and Magic? Here is my list:

Promotion Quests: The name has changed over the years, but there has always been quests for the individual pieces of the party, that makes them more powerful. Whether it be collecting power orbs, or finding the Perfect Bow, promotion quests are a mainstay of an MM game.

Outdoor Exploration: Even in MM1, exploring every square outside was a must. You would find unique treasures and the solution to some perplexing riddles, only by searching every nook and cranny. Later games would add genie lamps, ore, and abundant potion reagents to encourage the exploration aspect.

Puzzles/Riddles: Every MM game has at least a few, but the best games had several puzzles and riddles that would lead to the best treasures. Since the internet exists for cheaters and the impatient, there is no reason not to add these to the game.

Gobs of items: A mainstay of the series. Wands, rods, potions, several weapon types, and a host of other things to fill all the treasure chests of the world. Alchemy ingredients and potions are super vital.

Dark and Gritty: Not! Might and Magic is whimsical. It is more Wizard of Oz, than Lord of the Rings. It has an almost cartoony sense of fun and the monsters and art need to reflect this.

Promotion Quests: The name has changed over the years, but there has always been quests for the individual pieces of the party, that makes them more powerful. Whether it be collecting power orbs, or finding the Perfect Bow, promotion quests are a mainstay of an MM game.

Outdoor Exploration: Even in MM1, exploring every square outside was a must. You would find unique treasures and the solution to some perplexing riddles, only by searching every nook and cranny. Later games would add genie lamps, ore, and abundant potion reagents to encourage the exploration aspect.

Puzzles/Riddles: Every MM game has at least a few, but the best games had several puzzles and riddles that would lead to the best treasures. Since the internet exists for cheaters and the impatient, there is no reason not to add these to the game.

Gobs of items: A mainstay of the series. Wands, rods, potions, several weapon types, and a host of other things to fill all the treasure chests of the world. Alchemy ingredients and potions are super vital.

Dark and Gritty: Not! Might and Magic is whimsical. It is more Wizard of Oz, than Lord of the Rings. It has an almost cartoony sense of fun and the monsters and art need to reflect this.

I love your list! Let me add two:

One aspect of the M&M franchise that really sticks out with me is the continuous trickle of character development. Gain a skill. Improve a skill. Increase an attribute. Learn a spell. Find a better weapon. Find better armor. My M&M gameplay was riddled with the phrase, 'just one more insert_objective_here and I'll be done for the night.' Then you realize the sun is coming up…

Another very small thing I appreciate about M&M 6,7 & 8 was the paper doll. Equipping new gear was a lot of fun with how armor and weapons would pop-on to your paper doll. Too many RPGs these days have dropped this from their UIs and replaced equipping weapons and armor by placing a tick mark of some sort next to the items in your inventory list - very boring.

Back
Top Bottom