What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

The recent Road House is laughable at best, I mean most of the characters portrayed don't act like a single person I could relate to in real-life, save perhaps for the bookstore owner and his daughter. And I think he was in the Leftovers, a truly great telly show. Believe me should the urge strike to watch one of these ever again it will be the Swayze version for sure.

The recent Road House is laughable at best, I mean most of the characters portrayed don't act like a single person I could relate to in real-life, save perhaps for the bookstore owner and his daughter. And I think he was in the Leftovers, a truly great telly show. Believe me should the urge strike to watch one of these ever again it will be the Swayze version for sure.
To be fair I saw plenty of over-the-top characters or over-the-top scenes in the original Road House too. They just felt differently, of a different period.

And honestly if I think about it, not that I remember every moment or character, but to me the only way over-the-top character was Connor McGreggor's character. And I guess you could explain him away as always on drugs on something. Gyllenhaal could also be unbelievable, but if you consider him as he seems to see himself, as a dead-man-walking, he suddenly becomes slightly more believable.

Anyway, I'm probably the least attached to the original in this discussion, so I don't have any ties to that one.
To the recent one, I am biased since I like Gyllenhaal a lot. I'm not sure I ever saw him in an awful role. Though I am worried about Prince of Persia. I have seen that one; don't remember anything, but it's probably not great. But his performance could still be decent.

To be fair I saw plenty of over-the-top characters or over-the-top scenes in the original Road House too.
Oh c'mon, that was completely realistic when he ripped that guy's throat out. ;)

Tbh, I never liked it for the action anyways. It's the corny lines that made it entertaining to me.

Why hasnt anyone seen Dune part 2 yet? WTF is wrong with u guys?
I saw it a few weeks ago. Spoiler free comments below.

I enjoyed it more than the first one. There are some variances from the book but they don't detract too much. The worst variance being right the end and involves Chani acting quite differently that the book. Clearly done that way to make it more obvious to the average simpleton viewer what the ending actually means and to set up the third movie. An understandable change all things considered.

The high point for me was the scene of the Harkonnen homeworld. Great use of colour.

I'd say it is a high 8.5/10 for me.

Last edited:
Hey, I like that you pulled that from the Edmonton Sun =). I paid for one of those lights on the new bridge that they use for their logo!

I watched Marlowe last night, a noir flick from a couple years back. I'd no idea what an excellent cast I'd be granted, you've got Lange, Meany, Cumming, Huston and others in great roles. This was a great watch and totally made up for the nausea I had after viewing Road House, lol.

There are some variances from the book but they don't detract too much. The worst variance being right the end and involves Chani acting quite differently that the book. Clearly done that way to make it more obvious to the average simpleton viewer what the ending actually means and to set up the third movie. An understandable change all things considered.
If that's the worst thing then that's pretty good in my book. At least they didn't gender-swap characters in this one.

I rewatched a film last night that I've not seen since the seventies, Lady Snowblood. I've never watched the sequel though considering how much I enjoyed the first, I'm now going to look for it.

I rewatched a film last night that I've not seen since the seventies, Lady Snowblood. I've never watched the sequel though considering how much I enjoyed the first, I'm now going to look for it.
I wasn't allowed to watch it in the seventies! I remember it being violent but probably not by today's standards of gratuitous violence and de-sensitised viewers. Seeing somebody with a bit of blood on their kimono and all limbs attached after being slashed by Katana used to be enough!

I saw it a few weeks ago. Spoiler free comments below.

I enjoyed it more than the first one. There are some variances from the book but they don't detract too much. The worst variance being right the end and involves Chani acting quite differently that the book. Clearly done that way to make it more obvious to the average simpleton viewer what the ending actually means and to set up the third movie. An understandable change all things considered.

The high point for me was the scene of the Harkonnen homeworld. Great use of colour.

I'd say it is a high 8.5/10 for me.
Yeah, I think it was quite different than the book, but last time I read them was ~20 years ago so it's not exactly fresh. I still remember loving the first book and each following book getting worse.

After threatening to do so over two nights this week I rewatched the original Road House and yeah, while both films are super cheesey and over the top in many ways, I do prefer the original. I'm not the biggest Swayze fan, though I thought he was awesome in Darko, yet others like Elliott and Tighe in the original really hook it for me. I can pretty much watch anything with Kevin Tighe in it, I've enjoyed his work going back to Bonanza and Emergency! days.

I forgot Patrick Swayze was in Donnie Darko. Funny how things work out. That film helped launch Jake Gyllenhaal and then he eventually stars in a remake of one of Swayze's most popular movies.

Just watched the second Dune movie and it's good. I just can't get past all the changes from the books. Just watch the older TV mini-series it's a better adaption.

Yeah, that's often a deal breaker for me, especially if I really enjoyed the book. Little changes I can sometimes deal with, huge significant ones, not so much.

Every couple of years I like to watch the Alien films, and I just saw Alien 3, the assembly cut. Not sure I ever saw this particular version but it's very solid.
I never understood the negative opinions about the film. I know it had a very troubled production, but it still turned out solid, especially compared to the 4th.
I like a lot of the characters in the prison, and it just proves how great the setting is. Damn if it's not a shame we never got that Obsidian Alien rpg.

Kind of getting nostalgia for Alien - Isolation. Damn if it's not a fucking disgrace we never got a sequel to that. Fucking Sega.
I might try Alien - Dark Descent. I liked that, for the little I tried it. Had potential.

Every couple of years I like to watch the Alien films, and I just saw Alien 3, the assembly cut. Not sure I ever saw this particular version but it's very solid.
I never understood the negative opinions about the film. I know it had a very troubled production, but it still turned out solid, especially compared to the 4th.
It's a little slow at times, but I liked it. Especially the ending.

I might try Alien - Dark Descent. I liked that, for the little I tried it. Had potential.
If that doesn't work for you, try Aliens: Fireteam Elite too. It's more of a shooter, but I had fun with it.

Last edited:
I don't dislike Alien three all on its own, I guess it just fails in following the two better films prior. It simply feels so average when it should have been so much more.

I've been wanting to watch The Name of the Rose for a while, especially since finding out it's been a big inspiration for Pentiment. I had watched scenes of it back in highschool during a couple of our Latin classes, but didn't remember anything.
It was solid, and it was funny watching a very young Christian Slater.

Back
Top Bottom