Fallout 3 - Details Emerge

I didn't quite understand, so I'll rephrase.
I was trying to explain that circle strafing and bunny hopping are maneuvers invented to thwart human aiming. They're only effective against AI if the designer allows them to be.
What am I doing while my APs recharge and I can use VATS again?
Heading for cover, hiding behind cover, or flanking. Or circle strafing and bunny hopping, I don't know. If they have any idea what they're doing, it'll be the former, and the combat will resemble that of Stalker and not UT2K4.

Last edited:
well speaking of words ever time i see the word bangkok i always think of this song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lMsgrDY5W0
(not intended as an insult, just my associating brain at work, leading to a smile)

Well, thanx for the change. ;) I,too, feared that I might make this thread into political flame, which won't make an old survivor told us her painful past so that that shouldn't happen again. She didn't hate US or Japanese government.

Getting older, I feel her wish is too much for us human-beings.

You missed something here, though. This whole quest was a parody of that quest back in Morrowind.

I was only using it as an example of how the quests functioned in Oblivion and how they functioned in Morrowind. Parody or not, it still serves its purpose as example.
Of course a quest about rats in a basement that the great hero have to intervene with is absurd. Rats in the basement is the quest cliche of RPGs.

I was trying to explain that circle strafing and bunny hopping are maneuvers invented to thwart human aiming. They're only effective against AI if the designer allows them to be.

Heading for cover, hiding behind cover, or flanking. Or circle strafing and bunny hopping, I don't know. If they have any idea what they're doing, it'll be the former, and the combat will resemble that of Stalker and not UT2K4.

Uh, sorry. I wasn't really focused on the bunny hopping as such, so I missed your point first time 'round.

I finally got a copy of Game Informer and read the article. It was very interesting and I suggest that others get a copy and read it for yourself.

The only really weird sounding thing was the catapult. It almost sounded like a description you'd get when you run something through babelfish twice. But then again Fallout had the BB gun that did more damage than a laser rifle, the solar powered energy gun, and the sledge hammer with which you could knock people 50 yards away so maybe they are just trying to add their own bizarre weapon to the mix.

Last edited:
I was only using it as an example of how the quests functioned in Oblivion and how they functioned in Morrowind. Parody or not, it still serves its purpose as example. Of course a quest about rats in a basement that the great hero have to intervene with is absurd. Rats in the basement is the quest cliche of RPGs.

Right. I was just adding that the quest is set up as a parody and knows it in addition to your point about it being much more complex than just killing some rats ala umpteen other RPGs.

The first time I was playing I actually groaned when the fighter guild guy was all so serious about "taking care of the rat problem" (almost identical sounding to the first fighter guild quest in Morrowind). Then I cracked up laughing when the lady in the house starting crying about her "poor babies" getting eaten.

i think there are plenty of other games that have done far better parodys of 'intro' quests than oblivion. inexiles bards tale for one (a crap game but from what i played of it had decent humour) nowadays many people have pet rats so adding humour that's not all that funny or shocking in the first place doesn't really make it a parody does it? isn't the humour more directed towards those who are different and don't have a dog, cat, bird, or fish as a pet? to me its akin to when someone says something of the wall and they retracts by saying "just kidding". the quest wasn't started as a joke, but wrapping it up with "a laugh" helps to cover up the "is that all?" or "huh?" feelings. if i had to guess the oblivion dev's play far more time playing rockstar games for influence than other modern rpgs...

Back
Top Bottom