Report: Crysis 2 Leaked

But as long as the industry expects you to pay for something you don't actually know the value of, I'll have sympathy for a certain kind of piracy. Especially the try-before-you-buy kind.

What people and their little pretend-moral-high-ground have to say about that, is nothing but amusing.

I`d agree with that, as long as you stick to your guns and really "support the devs" as (some) nfo files urge you to.

I`m not that worried I buy a dud, because I usually know what I buy, and even if it turns out to be crap it`s back to Amazon or wherever.

playing the first one at the moment and it`s a revolution in FPS on Halo/H-L 2 scale.

Be careful, some people will get offended when you reference Halo in a positive way like that. ;)

I'm not sure if I'd call Crysis a revolution for the genre, but the visuals certainly set a new standard at the time. Even more than 3 years later it still looks better than many of the games being released.

I`d agree with that, as long as you stick to your guns and really "support the devs" as (some) nfo files urge you to.

I`m not that worried I buy a dud, because I usually know what I buy, and even if it turns out to be crap it`s back to Amazon or wherever.

I support everything that even remotely resembles a good thing for the industry.

I tend to buy everything I play these days, because I can get them at a reasonable price and at the time of release.

My problem is that I only ever play 1 out of ~15 to completion. Most games don't last more than 30-60 minutes with me, and yet I still pay for them.

But, games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age - I really wish I hadn't paid for, because it turns out Bioware took the money and went in completely the wrong direction with it.

I don't want to support that, even though the games themselves were pretty good.

Still, I'll probably end up buying the sequels anyway… Simply because I'm so stupid. Maybe I'll check out a pirated version first - but I generally don't do that with games I already know what will be like. There's really no point, and I don't want any hassle with online modes or whatever.

It's a strange feeling to prefer paying for what I enjoy, even though I'm actively supporting that which I hate. That's why I wouldn't have a big issue pirating such games - but I most likely won't.

I`ll never forgive M-soft poaching Halo from PC :/

And yet even when you skip the amazing (at the time) visuals/massive levels you`re still faced with AI that is to this day unparalleled. (IMO :) On Legendary (a must) it turns into an amazing cat & mouse, hunter-hunted feast.

I spent hours upon hours trying various strategies for some tougher checkpoints…ah sweet HD remake …

Crysis` AI is competent enough but the game`s real strength is it`s any-way-you like attitude…and it works beautifully. "Emergent gameplay" - i liked this buzzphrase more than the meaningless "visceral" :)
(also playing on hardest difficulty - makes you use all the game`s features, I guess on `normal` you just run`n gun which is no doubt boring, even given the stunningness of the engine)

Well Halo was always designed for the Xbox, so I don't think we can really get mad at Microsoft for not bringing them all to the PC. To be honest, I'm surprised we even got 2 of them.

This is an odd coincidence though, 2 nights ago I dusted off Halo 1&2 and installed them. Something had made me think of them, and I wanted to see if they would run in Windows 7 64bit. I had to download a program to fix the widescreen FoV in Halo 1, but both games ran fine otherwise. I think Halo is an underrated game, and I'd love to see a graphics update myself. I've never gotten around to playing much of the 2nd game.

If you are genuinely broke, playing videogames (pirated or not) is probably the last thing you should waste your time on.

Well Halo was always designed for the Xbox, so I don't think we can really get mad at Microsoft for not bringing them all to the PC.

Nah man, they started developing it for Mac & PC first…it was a huge thing when first screenshot appeared, for all we had at the time was id with it`s dull browns and few polys (of course I loved it too:). Interestingly, its engine was first based on Myth:The Fallen Lords - a stellar title :)

Then Bill came with a bag of moolah - cue my first serious case of console-anger. Which then I had to buy at some point ;)

I played the PC port briefly few years back…but somehow it felt different…there was something about joypad`s "clumsiness" that actually worked in it`s favour - strange & hard to explain.

Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing something about that. They changed the name after Microsoft acquired Bungie, right? I believe it was also going to be a third-person shooter at one point.

Yep, Bungie hated the "Combat Evolved " bit especially. And now, it`s all over - they swapped Bill for Kotick, lol. Still, gotta pay attention to this new secret project - they`re a rather serious talent still.

If you replay, remember - Legendary :)

If the source is leaked it could be a good thing, ala MS-BASIC for the Altair. Crysis is so resource heavy that's its impossible to play it on any retail machine with the full physics engine on from what I saw.

Maybe modders will find a way to optimize the code better. It could open up a new modding community for the company in the direction of Valve (no surprise that the Half-Life community would be dying to get their hands on that source code - might be a lot easier too with all the games based on the engine).

Sure, they'll blame the PC too and may not make another version for it but what do they write their console versions on?

some really good quotes on anarchy/piracy floating in this thread. I may make one my sig.

Nah man, they started developing it for Mac & PC first…it was a huge thing when first screenshot appeared

I worked at Circuit City at the time. Halo was a hit precisely because it was the first major shooter for the Mac. The PC version was a port.

should i be ashamed coz i downloaded it? hahaha

This is - from a psychological standpoint - a very interesting example of provocation.

You put in the right words, the right kind of spelling errors, and you even added an "hahaha" to emphasize your opinion.

In short : You pressed every available button to make your self known as full-cliché-filling pirate.

Impressive.

And you want to be respected here ? Don't be surprised if no-one is going to take you serious anymore.

I'm a bit confused. Some say the source is included but I haven't really found any proof that it is. (No haven't tried to download it...). Not sure that the CryEngine 3 Editor will get you more than what you would get from something like UDK.
In my mind it doesn't really matter that the game got leaked or not. Almost two months in advance it will be unfinished code and won't be useful for anything but to whet your appetite before release. If the source also got leaked then it certainly would hurt revenues that could be made from licensing CryEngine tech.

Unfortunately EA again is making an ass of themselves with the lame post about piracy and it will be interesting to see whether this will hurt sales or not. I bet it won't.

Why?

Because supporting the people who profit from the sale is always the "right" thing to do?

Personally, I really regret several of my purchases throughout time - and I wish I hadn't supported so much crap. I still keep doing it :)

But as long as the industry expects you to pay for something you don't actually know the value of, I'll have sympathy for a certain kind of piracy. Especially the try-before-you-buy kind.

What people and their little pretend-moral-high-ground have to say about that, is nothing but amusing.

The problem with most piracy justifications is that games are not a need at all, they are a want. It's not like food where if you are very poor but need to eat you can justify stealing something to eat. It's not medicine, shelter or clothing. Games are a completely optional entertainment product, so if you think they are too pricey, not "PC enough" or whatever else you can just not buy them (and not play them). There is no reason you have to, thus no justification from trying them for free or taking them outright because you are poor.

That said, I am not super OMG PIRATE YOU SUCK guy. As long as you support PC gaming as best you can I don't have a problem with you. This includes trying before you buy, as long as you are honorable about it, and maybe kids pirating games when they are young which sets them up to support the industry as adults.

End point: just support PC gaming and you're alright.

Money is also a point. There's a lot of money to be made from such a leaked game. Just imagine sombody presses 500k copies and sells them for 5$ a piece. So it's not unlikely the mole was simply paid to deliver a DVD. A small to medium 5 digit sum sounds realistic.

The problem with most piracy justifications is that games are not a need at all, they are a want. It's not like food where if you are very poor but need to eat you can justify stealing something to eat. It's not medicine, shelter or clothing. Games are a completely optional entertainment product, so if you think they are too pricey, not "PC enough" or whatever else you can just not buy them (and not play them). There is no reason you have to, thus no justification from trying them for free or taking them outright because you are poor.

That said, I am not super OMG PIRATE YOU SUCK guy. As long as you support PC gaming as best you can I don't have a problem with you. This includes trying before you buy, as long as you are honorable about it, and maybe kids pirating games when they are young which sets them up to support the industry as adults.

End point: just support PC gaming and you're alright.

It doesn't matter if it's a need or not. If someone doesn't buy a game, it makes no difference if he plays it or not - except that he might get some measure of enjoyment out of it.

The problem is that people can't separate concepts when they think about this, which is why enjoying something you didn't pay for - is seen as wrong no matter what.

Unfortunately, reality is never as clear-cut as most people prefer it to be. The fact of the matter is that paying for a game doesn't necessarily mean supporting the people who made it, or encouraging them to do something similar in the future.

In most cases today, paying for a game simply means putting money into the hands of people who didn't do anything except bring the industry away from the enthusiast gamer. The actual artists are rarely rewarded like the intention seems to be, and more often than not - they end up having to work on an even more accessible game - so the money guys can generate even more profit.

So, it's sadly not just about paying in the name of fairness. If it was that simple, I'd never give it a second thought.

It doesn't matter if it's a need or not. If someone doesn't buy a game, it makes no difference if he plays it or not - except that he might get some measure of enjoyment out of it.

It devalues the product, it prevents those people from saving up and paying for it, it sends the message that it is okay to play it for free, etc.. Even a pirated copy that is not a lost sale can be harmful in all manner of ways.

More to the point though my opinion is that if you ain't putting something in, you shouldn't be getting something out. Why should people not funding the industry get to reap the benefits of the industry? Call me petty but that just isn't right.

Unfortunately, reality is never as clear-cut as most people prefer it to be. The fact of the matter is that paying for a game doesn't necessarily mean supporting the people who made it, or encouraging them to do something similar in the future.

In most cases today, paying for a game simply means putting money into the hands of people who didn't do anything except bring the industry away from the enthusiast gamer. The actual artists are rarely rewarded like the intention seems to be, and more often than not - they end up having to work on an even more accessible game - so the money guys can generate even more profit.

I don't view publishers as the enemy, they fund game development. Indie games are awesome but at the end of the day I also want to play big-budget games, and to make big-budget games most developers need a publisher, they are an integral part of the process and them making money means more games for us.

If someone dislikes corporate games to the point where they don't care if they are still made or not then why play them? Why pirate them? Seems like a waste of time... so just don't buy them AND don't play them. If you want to play them then you should support them, simple as that.

Why should people not funding the industry get to reap the benefits of the industry? Call me petty but that just isn't right.

It's not petty at all, you're 100% correct. Certain people here can rationalize about piracy all they want, but they're mostly full of shit.

I especially get a kick out of when people talk about not wanting to pay $ for software because they don't know if it's worth it or not. Um… how is that different from anything else? You can do all the research you want beforehand, but you'll never know with 100% surety if that car, television, phone, couch, etc. etc. is going to be worth it in the end. Is it ok to steal those things as well?

For the record, I have no problem with "trying before you buy". The only problem is that we know damn well that most of them aren't doing that.

Back
Top Bottom