Avadon - Released on iPad

I don't want to shock you with standard procedure, but it's pretty common to stop after having agreed to disagree - which we only just managed to do :)

Note that you made another post after agreeing to the disagreeeing thing, plus several statements. So fair is "fair".

Really, I'm just checking if its physically possible to have the last post in a conversation with you ;)

Note that you made another post after agreeing to the disagreeeing thing, plus several statements. So fair is "fair".

Really, I'm just checking if its physically possible to have the last post in a conversation with you ;)

No, what you're REALLY doing - is revealing more about who you really are - rather than the ever mild and gentle GBG ;)

You want the last post in this convo? You have the opportunity as of now.

No, what you're REALLY doing - is revealing more about who you really are - rather than the ever mild and gentle GBG ;)

You want the last post in this convo? You have the opportunity as of now.

Yes, yes, I'm releasing the dark side today!
No my frined, like you, like anybody, I have topics I feel strongly enough about to get in an argument. I think I have argued in a civil way - if not, apologies. The last few posts are just tomfoolery, admittedly - but hey!

No, it wouldn't. Because aside from the underlying anti-Apple angle of most here (in the defense of PC RPG, just to be clear), there is also a broad sense of entitlement. Vogel could arrange a month of oral sex for everyone who bought the Mac or PC version, and people would be bashing him for it not being two months, and those who bought more than one game think they should get twice as much as those who only bought one, and so on. Spoiled. Rotten. Entitled. Brats.

Mike you need to calm the fuck down. It's just a game. Some of us think it's bullshit that the iPad users gets the same game for a lousy ten bucks while we still pay the original price. My suggestion is to make it a little bit different by throwing in a class/spell or something as maybe a thank you to his PC fans. If you think that is asking too much then that is your opinion, but dude, calm down, please.

If it makes you feel better I'm still buying the damn thing. This hasn't changed my mind on that.

As for what I think of the iPhone/iPad…man I already said what I think of it and while you may enjoy it immensely and my girlfriend goes nuts over that iPhone, I just prefer the PC. Like I said before it is pretty cool (or at least the iPhone is) and I've gotten hooked on a few games on it, but I'm still not going to use it that often at home (until Ossian's game comes out ;)) It'll be like my Xbox, I'll play it occasionally and only for games that don't come out on the PC. In all likelyhood my girlfriend will hog the thing and I'll never get to play Ossian's game. I'm not joking either, she gets downright grumpy if I ask her if I can use the iPhone.

Last edited:
Wow I see this thread is still, um, heated. I will say one thing for Vogel, he sure knows how to get attention. I've seen far more discussion about him than Avadon since its release and not just on this particular topic either. Perhaps he should make a game about himself. :p

I do want to add one thing though, I don't think this is an anti-Mac thing but rather a mobile vs desktop platform thing. For what it's worth, I have been noticing this same sort of pattern on Android games (Puzzle Quest, Tradewinds etc) being priced lower than their PC versions which for all intents and purposes appear the same.

Speaking personally, it annoys me in those cases too. Yes it's all economics and what the individual markets will bear, but especially for someone like Vogel who has become very high profile of late, is involved with the community and seemingly cares what they think (ie he's responded directly to criticisms) does he really want to burn bridges like that with what amounts to probably his most loyal customers?

I mean there's a lot of cash to be mined from mobile users at the moment, but who really thinks they are loyal and won't just move on to the next trendy Angry Llamas part 12 game in a heartbeat?

Last edited:
This discussion is getting unreal.

The PC-Version costs 25$ - you get at least 50 hours of game time out of it.

I earn ca. 100$ per hour.
I have to work 15min for 25$.

I have to work 15 min for at least 50 hours of gaming! - cool!

Deal done!!!

If more good 10$ games will be released for the IPad 2 platform.
I'll buy me an IPad 2. This is a market-consumer decision.

Well that makes you too fucking rich to be of any contribution to this discussion ;)
(Troll food: But it still doesn't change the "fairness" of Vogels decision)

Even you, Skaven?So let me see: His games were priced fairly while he was just on the PC, where the average game is $50. His game is also fairly priced at the iStore where the average game is $1.99. Somehow that now makes his PC/Mac game unfairly priced and he has to make it cheaper, or offer free bonuses (extra work) to make it "fair" again. Effectively you are saying hr can't be on these two differently priced markets while being profitable in both. Ignoring the fact that the choice of platform (as well as to buy or not at all) is entirely your choice.

But again the price isn't what's fair, it's what people will pay. Npt many people will pay 2.5x the price as someone else. Again it's part of the price of chasing the ipad. If he wants to do that it's just unrealistic to expect pc and mac fans to suck it up, especially when he just insulted a large portion of them who feel he is going in the same bad direction all the crap big studios are going.

Personally, I think it all makes perfect sense. The only thing I'd suggest is that Vogel be frank about it. It'd go down a lot easier if he just declared himself as he is - a business man, and not a struggling "indie developer" working on expensive but very deep CRPGs for the niche market. The latter is no longer the case, very obviously.

And here's why I have come to hate his guts with a passion after reading all the blog posts that get posted here for so long. You can't tell me he's held it out there like he was bringing back the golden age of games blah blah. So instead we get the same crap turned out over and over, and now he's gone completely away from that, and then made the effort to point out any former fans as ungrateful jerks. Of course he won't be refunding out money, or the massive amounts of good publicity he got from those same people before they gave up on him.

The world is what we make of it.

Why do you think Apple games generally sell at such a low price? That's because they're small and relatively limited in scope. They're MEANT for a very specific market segment - and that's exactly why Vogel has been resistant to going to that platform.

Games are a luxury, the ultimate luxury in a sense as no one needs them in any way.

That is people don't buy based on what it's worth or how much they want it, they pay based on how much money they can blow without having to think twice about it. For most people that's 5-10 bucks.

Vogel talks about worth all the time to try and talk up his price, but I seriously doubt his best price point is 25 bucks, regardless of platform. 10 bucks, tops. Maybe less.

I can't fault him for trying to expand his business. If he has to drop his price point, so be it. He's a taking a risk if large iPod sales don't compensate for having to drop his prices on the PC/Mac (which I always thought were a bit high to begin with).

BTW, I am loving this drama. NOT! But there are some pretty funny and intelligent posts here. :)

I found the first page vaguely amusing... but I for one cannot stand the fact that all this nonsense has clouded the iPad release. Is it good? Is it bad? 7 pages of horseshit and scarce opinion on the actual product... just a bunch of anti-capitalist dog poo

*every* thread involving an Apple product on this site invariably becomes about the platform, with people from Admins on down being fundamentally negative about the Mac, Apple, the operating system, mobile devices, and so on.

QED.

Very disappointed you keep pushing this line, Mike. You also take every possible opportunity to make this "admin" accusation, regardless of the posters and content of the thread, which is a shame.

Jeff has indicated that he is overwhelmed by the response he has gotten to the iPad version, and it has been nice seeing such positive reviews at mobile sites like TouchArcade.

It will be interesting to see where this all heads ...

Of course, who would give a negative review to a game with length and depth worth of $25, sold for $10? :p

If there's cap to the price on the store, he could have split it to 2 (or more) episodes and sell them each for $10.

Back
Top Bottom