Cyberpunk 2077 - Gamescom Gameplay Video

Every thing looks good, except for the music. The music sounds just meh. Possibly would be better without the lyrics. I hope it is only used in particular cheesy contexts.

Realized what repulses me about this game: Cyberpunk pen & paper was fun to play and books were exciting to read, there are amazing TV shows now like Altered Carbon and Upgraded. However when it comes to play these games, identifying with a super-hot heroine character, who gets butchered by that abominable robotic arms mod is what repulses me. I'm an advocate of the XCOM:EW gene mods project that doesn't butcher the human body and still grants the individual new super-human capabilities!!!!!!!

My plan for a first playthrough is a completely chromed-out assassin. I don't have a problem with playing half a robot. And the humanity cost might provide some interesting RPG possibilities. Next time I could then play a no chrome char who has to get by somehow else.

Thought it was funny the character screen was censored, while a minute later boom, full nudity. For the rest, looks ok. We will see when it gets here.

So, I had a weak moment and caved after someone pushed a super-duper high-res version of this video - so I watched it.

There's no denying it's full of potential - and, in many ways, looks like a fantastic game.

I see potential pitfalls, though - but the technology is impressive - even if I wasn't blown away by the visuals. To me, it looked quite current-gen for the most part. High-end current gen, certainly - but not really beyond that.

I WAS blown away by the things going on - on screen, though. The amount of people on the streets without much in the way of slowdowns was particularly impressive. The destructible environments and animations were very, very well done as well.

They have all the mechanics in place of something that could become a masterpiece, but I worry about gameplay and the finer points.

The Diablo loot mechanics is probably the thing I'm most sceptical about. It seems to suggest not everything will be hand-placed - and that we can expect a lot of randomized loot.

Now, I love randomized loot in my MMO-lites or looter shooters - but for a narrative-driven game like this, I'm not sure it's a great fit. I also worry we'll see a repeat of Witcher 3 loot issues - though I'm very pleased to learn that weapons have unique functionality depending on the type, and they're not straight-up DPS sticks. It was hard to get a read on it, though - and the bullet spongey nature of combat seemed off for what the game was otherwise trying to do, at least to my eyes.

Also, while I fully get they're going for a specific tone - I feel they might have gone a bit overboard with the slang and the blatantly overt "Corpos are evil" message. I mean, at times it felt almost like a parody more than a serious take on corporate greed.

Which is fine if you're into that sort of presentation, but I probably prefer a more subtle and subdued way of handling characters and dialogue.

Still, it's early days - and they went out of their way to make that clear. Things can change - and it's way too soon to get overly excited about it.

I reeeeeeaaally hope they get the itemization right this time. If loot sucks (meaning finding the same weapons over and over again, just with a different level) it will be a major bummer. It was a real motivation killer in Witcher 3.

And I hope you can turn off the floating damage numbers. Those are major immersion killers.

Agreed about the loot, which really does come off as randomly generated more than carefully handplaced - though it's impossible to tell from such an early demo.

I'm also worried about hacking, stealth and engineering. The sensor implant was super cool looking, sure, but it also gave off that "Witcher Senses" vibe where everything is supremely obvious once you have it. Everything lit up like a christmas tree in the rooms afterwards, so it's not like you're going to spend any time thinking about what to do.

There didn't seem to be any kind of interesting mechanic involved with hacking or "engineering" - which I think is unfortunate, if it turns out ot be true.

Hacking in the recent Deus Ex games is among my favorite parts of the gameplay.

Also, I saw no sign of actual stealth - beyond the take-down animation. A game like this must absolutely have stealth, if you ask me.

But I can't imagine them not having that, so I'm sure they just didn't bother to show it - and maybe they haven't implemented it properly yet.

This is very early in the game (which is explained) so we probably shouldn't expect too much depth at this point (dialogue, roleplaying etc).

Not sure what you were expecting, it also doesnt look like GTA or Deus Ex. Deus Ex is far from this immersive, its not true open world. GTA is not an RPG and its not as immersive as e.g Witcher 3 (or this), and i've played all GTA's ;)

Deus Ex 1,3 and 4 are among the most immersive games I know. They're also identified as immersive sims, so…. :)

Obviously, we're not going to get Deus Ex everywhere in Cyberpunk 2077 - as that would be impossible to achieve in terms of content fidelity. That would take decades to create with such a big city. Heck, it looks like the first mega-building you see would constitute an entire Deus Ex game - so it should be pretty evident that detail can't be on the same level.

Anyone seriously expecting that all buildings will be like a hand-tailored Deus Ex Mankind Divided level is delusional.

What I'm hoping is that they find a good balance between hand-crafted levels and meaningful open world content. As in, more like Fallout 4 than Witcher 3.

If they go the Witcher 3 route of hollow and meaningless free roaming exploration - with repetitive PoI "content" (look, another bandit ambush!) - then they might as well not have an open city in the first place.

In that case, it WOULD be like GTA V - as that's largely just a huge empty space with a lot of pretty building facades and a few shops and "activity" triggers.

Also, I saw no sign of actual stealth - beyond the take-down animation. A game like this must absolutely have stealth, if you ask me.

But I can't imagine them not having that, so I'm sure they just didn't bother to show it - and maybe they haven't implemented it properly yet.

The first murder in the trailer is a stealthy one (the scav' killed in the tub). If that wasn't too heavily scripted, maybe we'll have evironmental contextual takedowns, I'm rather excited about that, those things are always fun (contextual finishers in Sleeping Dogs were dope).

There's a short example of classic stealth gameplay (starting 42:00min): sneaking behind a dude, hacking his brain, climbing to walls to prepare an ambush… It seems like solid mechanics so far.

But yeah, I wonder aswell If we can go full ghost, and accomplish objectives without victims and alarms declenched. And If level designs will always be adequate for good stealthy gameplays.
CD Project said they want to do more imaginative things than just put vents everywhere, and I tend to trust them to blow my mind (they have been doing it for 12 years now).

Stealth games are among my favorites, CP77 isn't really one but I'm fine with the little we've seen so far.
I mean, stealth in other first person RPG like Skyrim or Fallout isn't really sophisticated either…

PS: I knew you couldn't have resisted watching the trailer forever :lol:

Last edited:
The first murder in the trailer is a stealhy one (the scav' killed in the tub). If that wasn't too heavily scripted, maybe we'll have evironmental contextual takedowns, I'm rather excited about that, those things are always fun (contextual finishers in Watch Dogs were dope).

There's a short example of classic stealth gameplay (sarting 42:00min) : sneakig behind a dude, hacking his brain, climbing to walls to prepare an ambush… It seems like solid mechanics so far.

But yeah, I wonder aswell If we can go full ghost, and accomplish objectives without victims and alarms decclenched. And If level designs will always be adequate for good stealthy gameplays.
CD Project said they want to do more imaginative things than just put vents everywhere, and I tend to trust them to blow my mind (they have been doing it for 12 years now).

Stealth games are among my favorite, CP77 isn't really one but I'm fine with the little we've seen so far.
I mean, stealth in other first person RPG like Skyrim or Fallout isn't really sophisticated either…

PS: I knew you couldn't have resisted watching the trailer forever :lol:

I'm sure we'll get some proper stealth in there. Well, almost sure :)

No, stealth can't be super elaborate in games that aren't designed around it. So, it's not like I'm expecting Dishonored or Thief.

The stealth mechanics of Skyrim and Fallout 4 are pretty basic, I would agree - but they get the job done for the most part. Something on that level would be nice enough for me.

Of course, it would be delightful with truly challenging and intricate stealth mechanics in a huge open world CRPG - but I'm trying to be realistic :)

Yeah, I'm actually kinda glad I watched the video - because the game is a little closer to ground than what my head was imagining. So, I don't have to go crazy with hype.

Still, I really wish I could manage to enter into certain games completely blind.

I suppose I would have to entirely disconnect for that to happen :)

Yep, as you said :
Anyone seriously expecting that all buildings will be like a hand-tailored Deus Ex Mankind Divided level is delusional.

Yeah it's unrealistic to imagine them managing to make an entire city with the same level of interactivity than the Prague hub (best part of the game, especially the bank)…

We just have to hope there will be a lot of detailled places like this. The more the better.

Yep, as you said :

Yeah it's unrrealistic to imagine them managing to make an entire city with the same level of interactivity than the Prague hub (best part of the game, especially the bank)…

We just have to hope there will be a lot of detailled places like this. The more the better.

Prague Hub was definitely amazing.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how they handle the non-story missions. I need a reason to go free roaming, and if it's repetitive and overly familiar - I'll lose interest in that city very quickly.

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't really get all that excited about the prospect of watching people walk around the city or looking at familiar buildings for an extended period of time. I need something more than that.

Same thing happened in GTA and Witcher 3 - as I didn't actually feel like I was being rewarded by going off the beaten path.

I don't have a reason to assume they will do much that's different from Witcher 3 when it comes to exploration, though, as it's been so universally praised by critics and fans alike.

I mean, why mess with perfection? Which is clearly how a lot of those 10/10 reviews came off.

Personally, I think it's unfortunate that so many fans are blind to obvious flaws - because we could be keeping CDPR hungry through a healthy dose of criticism when they're messing up, to balance out the praise when they do things right.

To me, Witcher 2 and especially Witcher 3 became ever more mainstream - especially when it comes to challenge and the approach to problem solving.

So, if they actually try to make the game challenging and the puzzles/detective stuff interesting - it will have to be something they WANT for themselves - and not as a result of fan feedback.

Which is why I'm much more careful with my expectations than I was before W3 came out.

It sounds worse than it is, though - as I'm sure fans will be delighted by this game. It's almost certain to deliver a great story in a very immersive environment - and that really does seem to be enough for most people.

Deus Ex 1,3 and 4 are among the most immersive games I know. They're also identified as immersive sims, so…. :)

Obviously, we're not going to get Deus Ex everywhere in Cyberpunk 2077 - as that would be impossible to achieve in terms of content fidelity. That would take decades to create with such a big city. Heck, it looks like the first mega-building you see would constitute an entire Deus Ex game - so it should be pretty evident that detail can't be on the same level.

No one is expecting the game to have perhaps 10h of gameplay in 1 building, and i doubt anyone would even want that, then there's no need to make an open world game in the first place, it's made to be explored and to be diverse. There are very few games i find immersive and at the same time takes place in small spaces / hubs. System Shock 2 i do like though and Deus Ex 1 was kind of great too. The other ones bored me extremely quickly and didn't immerse me the least (i'm gonna give them another shot at some point, 3 and perhaps 4 at least).

No one is expecting the game to have perhaps 10h of gameplay in 1 building, and i doubt anyone would even want that, then there's no need to make an open world game in the first place, it's made to be explored and to be diverse. There are very few games i find immersive and at the same time takes place in small spaces / hubs. System Shock 2 i do like though and Deus Ex 1 was kind of great too. The other ones bored me extremely quickly and didn't immerse me the least (i'm gonna give them another shot at some point, 3 and perhaps 4 at least).

I don't really know what people are expecting and neither do you :)

I do think some people are hoping this will be an open world Deus Ex - as I've heard several suggest exactly that.

My advice would be to temper expectations in that way, is all.

I would most certainly want a game where each building had 10h of distinct and interesting content. I mean, of course I would.

As for what you find immersive, that's a subjective thing - and while I have no idea how anyone could play DE 3 and 4 and NOT find them immersive, I naturally respect that you don't.

To me, immersion is not about the size of the world - but about whether or not I feel like I'm actually IN the world.

I don't really know what people are expecting and neither do you :)

Then i don't know why you argue that it can't be like Deus Ex, like anyone would expect that. Why not tell us it won't be at all like Super Mario 64 while you're at it?

Content in a open world game should be spread out so that you can enjoy the various environments and themes of the city.

Then i don't know why you argue that it can't be like Deus Ex, like anyone would expect that.

Because I THINK some people are looking at it like it could be. I don't claim to actually KNOW.

Content in a open world game should be spread out so that you can enjoy the various environments and themes of the city.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm saying I would love a game with a city that's so big with each building being interesting for hours.

It's not better for me if buildings have less interesting content in an effort to spread it out.

But obviously, that would have to be the case.

It's not that complicated, I'd say.

Lol, fanboys are so funny.

Everything I've said about it not being faithful to the P&P game and resembling looter-shooters like Destiny and The Division is true. I've seen similar viewpoints expressed all over the internet and even within this thread.

My goal of sharing these thoughts wasn't to offend you, but to express dissatisfaction about the direction of a game I was previously really excited for (and to some extent still am). If you find my opinions deeply triggering however, by all means ignore me.

*I'm usually not this persistent either, but something about an oldschool CRPG forum circlejerking over a looter-shooter, and denying that's what it is, bothers me.
That isn't exactly true. You've said a lot of things that are directly opposite of what CDPR has been saying about the game. As you stick to your statements, apparently you do not want to believe the people from CDPR and you don't want to believe Mike Pondsmith either. That is fine, but it doesn't make you very believable to me, as I am not convinced that they are just spawning lies to fool us.

Because I THINK some people are looking at it like it could be. I don't claim to actually KNOW.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm saying I would love a game with a city that's so big with each building being interesting for hours.

It's not better for me if buildings have less interesting content in an effort to spread it out.

But obviously, that would have to be the case.

It's not that complicated, I'd say.

"Ok."

Games this reminds me of - Destiny, The Division, Fallout 4, Grand Theft Auto 5.

I like those games
CP2077 is not planned as mmo mediocrity with excessive grinding, milking scams and no story at all.

1. I have absolutely no idea what exactly from the video reminded you on Destiny and The Division. Characters and the story maybe? Helicopter boss? Oh, wait…

2. Where did you see GTA5? The drone perhaps? Wait…

3. Fallout 4? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any "settlement needs your help" radiant idiocy, there were no 4 lines to choose from where you're not sure what the protagonist will say, no base building on the video and kill me but aside mechanical body parts and implants I've seen no mutations. Or maybe it's the retro style… Wait, where?

To me CP2077 looks as DX on steroids. Just looks because of crazy visuals - the ruleset is not the same, you won't be soloing every mission but some NPC will stick around and the game will have something DX games didn't and that's tons of c&c BEFORE the end.

You like some other 4 games, good for you. I hate 3 of those 4. Does it even matter here? None of them are even close to what's shown on the video.
Did you, perhaps, hone your skills at Codex? I mean your post looks suspiciously as one of their amateur attempts of trolling.
Right? Me neither.
I'd like such game too. Sadly, making of such thing would require a lot of $ so I don't hope much for a game where each building is another Clockwork Mansion where no grinding can help you and only your wits matter.

Last edited:
That isn't exactly true. You've said a lot of things that are directly opposite of what CDPR has been saying about the game. As you stick to your statements, apparently you do not want to believe the people from CDPR and you don't want to believe Mike Pondsmith either. That is fine, but it doesn't make you very believable to me, as I am not convinced that they are just spawning lies to fool us.

Silver Coin has some good points, as he often does. Problem is that he can't seem to balance them out with reason - and he seems to be motivated more like a contrarian in this case - than a person who's actually interested in being fair.

The Deus Ex comparisons come from the fact that it's the only other first-person cyberpunk game out there. When someone says they wouldn't mind if Cyberpunk is like an open-world Deus Ex, it doesn't have to be interpreted that they literally mean a carbon copy of Deus Ex gameplay.

I wouldn't want that anyways, as immersive sims only really work within a certain range of size and length imo.

Plus I don't want to sneak around for 100+ hours in Cyberpunk. The combat looks too damn fun. :)

The Deus Ex comparisons come from the fact that it's the only other first-person cyberpunk game out there. When someone says they wouldn't mind if Cyberpunk is like an open-world Deus Ex, it doesn't have to be interpreted that they literally mean a carbon copy of Deus Ex gameplay.

I wouldn't want that anyways, as immersive sims only really work within a certain range of size and length imo.

Again, I don't claim to know what people think when they say open world Deus Ex.

I'm just pointing out what it certainly won't be.

Just because that's obvious to you - doesn't mean it's obvious to everyone - and some people tend to get hyped up to a degree where they lose all sense of perspective.

Also, are you really certain you wouldn't want a "true" Deus Ex game with this kind of scope?

You don't have to sneak around in Deus Ex, either. The intended design is for you to play it like you want.

Back
Top Bottom