Things you might like to know.

I keep meaning to try the first game. Have you played it? The reviews are sky high. My backlog though...
Only for around 1h. I can see the fascination of it, especially if you like exploring the ocean.
But unfortunately I can never last too much in survival games, where you have to climb a tech ladder and harvest stuff.
Maybe some day. I just have too big of a backlog for everything else.

I keep meaning to try the original. Have you played it? The reviews are sky high. My backlog though...
Could your backlog be tempted by a -67% discount? ;)

Not my cup of tea, but it seems very good.

I've always been curious about Subnatutica, that price is seriously tempting. I do enjoy me some great exploration and I miss scuba diving from years back, funny thing is first time I was ever in Florida was to scuba dive at Cocoa Beach in 1980.

Could your backlog be tempted by a -67% discount? ;)

Not my cup of tea, but it seems very good.
Thanks, but I already have it. According to Steam, I have 2 minutes played. :)

Subnautica.jpg

Science blog from the German science magazine "Spektrum" : The Sand Mafia. It's in German language. https://www.spektrum.de/video/wir-werden-alle-sterben-die-sand-mafia/2207074
The problem is that sand which would be used for concrete is not always the best sand - proper concrete requires a special kind of sand, which is mostly found around rivers.
Sand from the great deserts, for example, is too much rounded, according to this blog, but concrete requires more edgy" kind of sand grains.
And because buildings are built everywhere, which has become a money-making industry in its own right (and therefore attractive for everyone greedy for money), sand is stolen. Illegally taken away.
The blog says that there is even murder involved, for example in India, that sand stolen from rivers creates severe problems with ecology. The river Mekong in Vietnam is mentioned as such an area with problems after taking away a lot of river sand.
We here in Germany are already facing this problem as well : Good sand - read : sand good enough for concrete - becomes more and more sought after - because some areas are already depleted of it , but more buildings are still built. Because there is money in it, more firms are trying to get new areas to mine "proper" sand - against the protests of the local polulation. This is in Germany, not somewhere deep in the jungles of South America. There are more and more conflicts of this kind, currently, and there will be even more. And, often, the economy wins.

Study regarding the use of dark patterns in games and regarding "excessive gaming", German language :

Stuidy regarding the disorientation of non-adults via AI :

Study regarding use of media of non-adults :

It looks like collecting statistics on the energy consumed by blockchain technology is going bye bye.

You may or may not know that Noclip set out to make a simple indie game some time ago to understand the process. They made a video with a discussion on the next step: finding funds. This relates to a discussion we had days ago about the bad situation of the gaming industry in 2023. Their game is really basic, so it's only representative of small indies, though they know other devs who gave their opinion on the matter.

Danny briefly mentions another source of funding, the venture capital investors, who started to get some interest in this industry but without really knowing it in details (the gaming industry is quite special, since it's very obscure and not as streamlined as other domains - most actors aren't even aware of how it works financially).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRVsrVZrfyg

Back
Top Bottom