BG3 BG3 General Talk

Baldur's gate 3
General preference question:

In games like this that have several companions, are you the sort to mix and match them a lot, or do you mostly stick with a given set, maybe only switching them out (or not) to do companion quests?

I like to mix and match due to (1) roleplaying stuff (i.e. this particular mission or side quest obviously requires a person or thematically you would want a certain class or race), and (2) I rarely do a full replay of huge games like this so I like to see what the developers have done with the various NPCs. Towards end game when you are locked into some final sequence of events I typically settle down to my favorite people. One caveat is alignment, or in the case of BG3 more like "perceived alignment" because I don't seem to see any alignment listed anywhere. I do tend to play either as a generally good party or as a morally corrupt party, and choose companions accordingly. And that typically depends on the race/class of my main.

I recall that Larian/Sven were originally going to lock in your companions somehow, I think after Act 1, but reconsidered, and decided to make them all available throughout the game (unless you killed them, obviously)

Yes that is my understanding but others can confirm I'm sure.

I tend to stick with a few because I want to see all of their interactions with quests, their banter, etc, and if I switched them out a lot, I would never remember who I had at which points, which would make seeing new stuff on replay much more difficult.

Makes sense. I tend to have maybe max one replay in me, so I sort of have to do the opposite. But I will say I've switched them up a bit already and got some good new NPC interactions I thought were cool/funny. So I think they built this to make it totally fine to mix it up all the time.

Second, related question: who are you going with, entirely or mostly as the case might be?

Too early really to say for me (a million hours spent on character creator!). I've met 4 so for and like them all except for maybe Astarion - mainly due to alignment not meshing with my main PC.

I made my main character (I'm not doing an origin playthrough this time, in other words), and have settled on Lae'zel, Astarion and Gale as my other three. When I get to the part of the game where the non origin companions show up, I may be tempted. Especially by Minsc, as I always used him in BG2.

Oh I am definitely going to experiment with non origin companions. Minsc is a lock for at least one side quest!

In games like this that have several companions, are you the sort to mix and match them a lot, or do you mostly stick with a given set, maybe only switching them out (or not) to do companion quests?

I recall that Larian/Sven were originally going to lock in your companions somehow, I think after Act 1, but reconsidered, and decided to make them all available throughout the game (unless you killed them, obviously)

I tend to stick with a few because I want to see all of their interactions with quests, their banter, etc, and if I switched them out a lot, I would never remember who I had at which points, which would make seeing new stuff on replay much more difficult.

Second, related question: who are you going with, entirely or mostly as the case might be?

I made my main character (I'm not doing an origin playthrough this time, in other words), and have settled on Lae'zel, Astarion and Gale as my other three. When I get to the part of the game where the non origin companions show up, I may be tempted. Especially by Minsc, as I always used him in BG2.
I tend to use characters that complement my main character.

I build a warlock who can hold his own in combat this time though so I mostly need a rogue and a healer this time.

So I'm very likely going to stick with Astariom and Shadowheaet for the majority of the game.

I am finding the utility of the mage spells quite useful too so Gale seems to be by number 3.

I have just switched once for a specific conversation Lazel needed to be in and I kept her in temporarily but I'll probably switch back shortly.

I tend to keep the same for most of the game when I play. But I'm likely going to replay this game so I'll play as something else.

I usually choose companions that mesh will with my character's class and alignment, and stick mostly with them. Then I switch them out to do companion quests.

I currently have La'zael, Shadowheart and Asterion. I want a tankey guy,a rogue and a healer, since I'm a wizard. When I've got all origin characters I'm considering changing to another fighter.

If I do a second playthrough I will likely mod the game to allow more companions and increase to tactician or maybe even mod the difficulty higher.

Some of the bugs being reported are pretty funny. I was just browsing the release thread at another forum, and a guy was talking about how, 20 hours after killing him off, Wyll approved of something he said. :)

Also, do companion's corpses stay in your camp indefinitely? I guess that might be intentional, but it seems a little odd.

For now, I prefer to stick with the same companions too because I want to know their stories, and they fit well together or almost. It just feels better for me to remain like that.

I've taken Shadowheart, Gale, and Astarion (I'm playing a monk, not an Origin). Gale and Astarion both have their quirks, but Astarion is the one that fits the least with how I roleplay- no worries, there's always someone like that in a team. ;)

I'm tempted to take Wyll instead of Gale only for a couple of days. And I rejected Lae'zel entirely to see where that leads (I like the character but I've played with her long enough in the EA).

How do you feel with the limit of 4 companions in the party?

How do you feel with the limit of 4 companions in the party?
I'm fine with it. I think 4 is enough to give you a good mix of classes/abilities. I'm obviously used to having 6 from other CRPGs, like Pillars and of course BG2, but in my tabletop games we never have 6 so I don't subscribe to the "you can't have a proper party with only 4" idea. I've been in a Pathfinder campaign for 8 years in which we have 4 after having 5 for a couple of those years, and we have 5 in a Wednesday D&D game but at least one person usually don't show up.

As a general comment, it seems like most have Shadowheart in their party. The main reason I don't is that I made a cleric.

I think the 4 member party limit sucks. I'd prefer to have more choices. If the limit was 5 or 6, you could still choose to go with 4 or less. I get why they did it though.

There are plenty of mods that allow you to edit your party size. Just be warned it wasn't just made as a design choice,. As more then six can slow down the game.

Especially in more graphical and scripted zones.

Yeah, I think most people are aware of the mods. The problem is that the game was designed around having 4 or less in your party.

Fights in the game feel like they're hand-crafted and well-tuned, much moreso than other similar RPGs in recent years (with the exception of KOTC2). You don't just get random monsters thrown at you like in the Pathfinder or Pillars games. It's a large part of the reason why the game is so good. Adding more party members than intended would completely throw everything off.

I like the Inspiration thing they added. It helps me stop savescumming. I get multiple chances at doing things again so if I fail I then just accept it.
It's well done and works with DnD as well.

Same. I love this so much. Sometimes I just really hate that one roll and want to try again. If I fail twice then I am more accepting that it is fate, or if I have the points and I really, really want it I may go a third time (hasn't happened yet through). I think its a great idea to let people know they can have a second, or third, chance on key things.

Fights in the game feel like they're hand-crafted and well-tuned, much moreso than other similar RPGs in recent years (with the exception of KOTC2). You don't just get random monsters thrown at you like in the Pathfinder or Pillars games. It's a large part of the reason why the game is so good. Adding more party members than intended would completely throw everything off.
Agree, except that I wish there was an occasional random mob just to make the world feel a little more dynamic. I think that would have worked as long as it was kept to a minimum.

In regards to @JFarrell71 questions.

1 - I tend to get attached to a certain set of companions in most games, but so far in BG3 I am having a hard time even getting my comfort group. But overall I tend to stick with a very set group. Like I played DAO 5-6 times though and almost always had Alistair, Morrigan, and the Mabari. I also don't like to just have a companion along to do their quests and will skip personal companion quests if I don't care for the companion, unless it is required to move the main quest along or is otherwise key to the main quest. So I don't normally rotate too much - a lot depends on how attached I am to my core party and how big the party can be.

2 - For BG3 I am undecided.

Astarion - I enjoy a ton but since I am playing a rogue I don't need him as much and since limited space he isn't around much. With my Ranger or Warlock, later on, he will be a core companion.

Shadowheart - I like/dislike but the only cleric so she comes along, except now we have Halsin (and I suppose Jaheria and Minthara) so not as needed.

Laz - I love how arrogant and pushy she is. I love pissing her off in the game and seeing her scowl at me and complaining. I love her eye roll when you correct her on pronunciation. I love her banter with Shadowheart. I haven't gotten to Karlach yet though so while Laz is with my Rogue I could change to Kar. Depends how that goes.

Wyll - As a guy who always plays his chars as good Wyll is too good. Nauseating good at times. I am very curious about his story but I don't see using him with my rogue or future chars (Ranger and Warlock)

Gale - Like him a lot. He is a core char for me.

With the official release you now also have Halsin, Minsc, Jaheria, and Minthara.

Halsin - I like but need to actually hang out with him as a companion. That being said I think he is a strong contender for the core party

Minthara - No.

Minsc and Jaheria - Possibly, not sure I want to mix past with present. It feels very strange to me. I prefer them as cameos I think. But could change my mind.

Anyhow for my Rogue I guess my core party is Gale, Laz, and Shadowheart with the option to trade Laz for Karlach and trade Shadowheart for Halsin.

I don't have an issue with a party of four. I think anymore and the game would become Inventory Management Simulator.
I've played quite a few games with more than 4 party members, and I never had an issue with inventories. It's possible I'm just more tolerant than others though. I actually kind of enjoy the inventory management aspect.

I'd prefer to have 6, as I find 4 too limiting. I can't stand Astarian, so in this playthrough I have totally ignored him and never visited his area. Gale is too whiny and annoys me as well, so I'm using Wyll as my secondary caster (I'm always the Prime Caster). Shadow is a must, and I'm currently swapping back and forth with Laz and Karlach trying to determine which one I prefer. I've made Karlach a Paladin and Laz an Eldritch Knight, and Laz appears to be doing better in combat, but I'm intrigued by Karlach's backstory, so I'm still unsure who I'll finally stick with. Hated Jaheira and Minsc and never used them unless forced to do so; they both just grated on me!! Yes, I know, most people loved them, but I didn't.

Yeah me as well can't stand that vampire theif. Doesn't fit anywhere in my party in both playthroughs. One was a good paladin the other an evil Drow Eldritch Knight.

Yeah me as well can't stand that vampire theif. Doesn't fit anywhere in my party in both playthroughs. One was a good paladin the other an evil Drow Eldritch Knight.
What do you do about the hundreds of traps and locks? Whatever you think of Astarion's personality, a character with high sleight of hand fits in every party.

It was an issue in BG2 too... knowing Yoshimo was going to do what he was going to do, and with Imoen trapped for most of the game, there weren't a lot of other options for thief skills unless your PC had them.

Back
Top Bottom