BG3 BG3 General Talk

Baldur's gate 3
I didn't know that was possible. I don't remember ever doing that when I played Act 1 in EA, but it's been awhile so it's possible I just forgot.

It does sound like a weird exploit, and I don't understand why Larian would allow it to work that way.
I’m surprised people don’t know this is was the same way in the DOS games. If you wanted to you could split all 4 characters and run off in 4 different directions playing the game with them separately. Although I would assume at some point, maybe act transitions you would all be pulled back together.

I’m surprised people don’t know this is was the same way in the DOS games. If you wanted to you could split all 4 characters and run off in 4 different directions playing the game with them separately. Although I would assume at some point, maybe act transitions you would all be pulled back together.
I remember splitting up my party a few times for various reasons, but I don't recall how it worked if you engaged in combat without everyone being there. I apparently must not have done it very often.

I guess they did it that way so that you could get those other party members involved faster if they're far away when a battle starts? It still seems too exploitable though.

I guess they did it that way so that you could get those other party members involved faster if they're far away when a battle starts? It still seems too exploitable though.
I think they did it that way for co-op reasons. So other players don't necessarily get sucked into your combat, they can continue playing the game.

I guess they could have made it act differently if multiple players aren't connected, but then it would make co-op players actually able to pull off some things that single-player people can't.

Would a DM accept to split a party that way? But I suppose that with a board game, the companions that aren't engaged in a combat would have to take their turn when moving anyway, with a maximum distance, so that wouldn't make any difference. Larian's games switch to real-time out of combat.

I remember exploiting that in the EA with a rogue who would go far enough to get out of combat mode, refresh up, then go back in (which didn't reset the HP of the enemies). I'm not sure it's still possible to do that; hopefully not. There are always ways to do exploits in games; it's up to the player so I don't see that as an issue.

Either way, a rogue makes this game much easier. More often than not, my rogue is doing more damage than the others and often saves the day, not to mention all the locks and traps (some of which can't be just shot). Except for some optional loot, though, I think that it's always possible to find the necessary keys.

I remember splitting up my party a few times for various reasons, but I don't recall how it worked if you engaged in combat without everyone being there. I apparently must not have done it very often.

It’s very exploitative. Especially since you can swap items freely from any distance. Theoretically For example ( haven’t actually tried it) you could have 1 character out of combat getting healing potions and either just bring them back to the paused combat or just swap them from however far away. Then there’s the endless positioning advantages of characters out of combat range.

It’s only exploitable though if you decide to exploit it. I just make sure I get everyone into the turn based combat area. There’s lots of exploits if you want to take advantage of them. The free trading of items regardless of characters proximity to each other that I mentioned. Also being able to throw potions on companions. If you group companions you can hit multiple of them with 1 potion. Stacking crates and climbing on them to give yourself advantage or stacking them so high that thrown items turn into bombs. Shove is an OP exploit in itself as many very hard enemies can be killed by shoving them off cliffs. At least there’s the penalty of losing their loot though.

Personally i try to self police and avoid thing I view as exploits.

Would a DM accept to split a party that way? But I suppose that with a board game, the companions that aren't engaged in a combat would have to take their turn when moving anyway, with a maximum distance, so that wouldn't make any difference. Larian's games switch to real-time out of combat.

I remember exploiting that in the EA with a rogue who would go far enough to get out of combat mode, refresh up, then go back in (which didn't reset the HP of the enemies). I'm not sure it's still possible to do that; hopefully not. There are always ways to do exploits in games; it's up to the player so I don't see that as an issue.

Either way, a rogue makes this game much easier. More often than not, my rogue is doing more damage than the others and often saves the day, not to mention all the locks and traps (some of which can't be just shot). Except for some optional loot, though, I think that it's always possible to find the necessary keys.
Mages have Knock Spell too.

Just started a final section of encounter where my MC paladin has been 'gimped' by giving him a 'dislocated shoulder' condition for jumping down to a new level - the *only* way to get there. It's scripted. Tried with featherfall. No change. Yet, amazingly, the other party members, who all did the same jump, are perfectly fine. No roll was made. I hate that kind of contrived and inconsistent difficulty. It's a serious debuff for a fighter to have every roll made at disadvantage. I assume it was done "for dramatic reasons" - but it makes no sense if you can't use the other protections like featherfall that always work. Cleric healing does nothing etc - if I could long rest that would fix it, but I am in a no rest area. I have yet to tackle the boss encounter, but it's going to be harder and more tedious because of this - I am not impressed.

I've used that in the past, indeed. It strips one 2-level spell slot, though.

Actually, my monk is DEX-based, so he could probably do a decent job picking locks.
Yeah but wizards have enough slots especially with arcane recovery... I don't think supplies are a problem. At least not on normal difficulty.

I have had one long rest in 5 hours :D

Hmm...that's weird and a good find, maybe it was just in the Early Access build and got removed? As I noticed a lot of the info on Fextralife is from Early Access.

Passwall is there.

I'm sceptical though; this page has been created at the beginning of EA. Wasn't it capped at level 4?

I'm sceptical though; this page has been created at the beginning of EA. Wasn't it capped at level 4?
It does say it was updated Aug 2023. (Upper right corner)

Idk, maybe it's not actually in the game? Fextralife is usually pretty accurate with their stuff though.

You can just destroy most chests and doors. For chests you can even right click and choose "Send to camp" so if you have a lockpicker at your camp you can deal with them in the safety of your camp!!!

Lockpick is most handy when you have to do things quietly and banging down doors/chests tends to make anyone who can see/hear it very angry!! But I highly recommend it as some of the interactions it causes are quite funny.

I specced Astarion as an Assassin and he was one my main damage dealers in the first Act. He soloed the entire phase spider boss fight. I did replace him in Act 3 though once I completed his questline and he died shortly after by my hand after I couldn't redeem him.

For chests you can even right click and choose "Send to camp" so if you have a lockpicker at your camp you can deal with them in the safety of your camp!!!
And it gets instantly transported to your camp? That's kind of lame imo.

I get that Larian wanted to make things convenient for the player, but I don't like stuff like that unless there's a logical in-game explanation for it.

Back
Top Bottom